Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sigh.... I don't think I'll ever get through...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by luvmydogs, May 1, 2011.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I work for very rich Saudis who have a few animals. They have 4 dogs, one of which who now has 3 pups (it gave birth to 4, one died) to a male who is at least twice the size of her. They are about 6 weeks, and have not eaten a thing yet, only getting fed from mum. They are never touched (apart from by me) and have not been wormed (the mother was not wormed before/during pregnancy either). She had a litter on her last season but they all died.
    They have 2 female longhaired cats who are kept in rabbit cages. They have now just bought a siamese male cat and shoved it in one of the cages with a female, so they can mate. I am really upset - I have been trying for months to at least change the mindset of the children. I'm getting nowhere. When I say the dogs should be walked, the children ask their parents who say its not necessary because they have a big garden. When I say the female dog and cat should not have litter after litter, there parents say it is natural and more cruel to put animals through needless operations. I think I will have to give up my job, I can't take seeing this any longer. Its well paid and they are supposed to be taking me (FIRST CLASS!) to USA this summer for 6 weeks - but I just can't get their lack of care for the animals out of my head. Their culture is very different from our so I know I'm fighting a losing battle. :cryin:

2. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Unfortunatley you just have to respect their culture and differences.

Are they purposely breeding the animals ?
    If they are, the success rate is shite, as the last litter died :blink:
    Maybe you could use that to your advantage, say the success rate would be better if they wormed/walked etc etc or even gave the cats a bigger pen ...

If they are not breeding for a purpose, just say, wouldnt it be better to just have same sex animals so there was no extra babies to have to care for ?
    Less vet fees if things go wrong for example

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm not sure I can, it is driving me potty. I've tried for months now. I think I'm going to leave.

They are happy that they are breeding, they love to look at the puppies/kittens. :rolleyes:: They think it is Allah's will if they die. They don't sell the pups/kittens. Vet fees don't bother them - a) they rarely take them to the vet and b) they are millionaires.

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Oh dear, what a sad situation. I can't stand to see animals of any kind being caged. Years ago my son had budgies outside in an aviary, it was wonderful to see them being able to fly. And even the children's hamsters were not in cages, we built indoor runs in the bedrooms for them and they had their little houses in there. Their rabbits had hutches in the garden but the doors were never closed and there was a secure fence with top enclosing it to keep them safe and from getting out.

I couldn't be in your situation, it would just sadden me too much, I would have to give up my job.

5. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

how are the animals kept? is it clean? if not maybe you could contact the rspca anonymously and see what they say they may go round and that may shock them to do something.
    i think i would have to leave aswell.

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes they are kept clean by the staff, but anyway I'm in Saudi Arabia - no rspca here. :(

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

aww ok, is there no local animal place you can contact for advice maybe?

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

They just don't recognise animals as pets here I'm afraid, even the authorities. :(

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would resign. It goes against everything I believe in

10. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

aww ok, i would leave i think id have to

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

What a bad position to be in :( Shame they just don't keep one sex of the animals rather than insisting on letting them breed continually :( Are they the sort of people you could lay it on the line with, say stop breeding or i'm gone? i know they don't agree with spaying etc maybe rehome the male animals.
    ( how's izzy getting on?)

12. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have been thinking I'll just have to go. But it might be worth a try to give them an ultimatum, thanks for that idea :)

ETA Izi is having a naughty phase, a few of my shoes have been eaten lol. She loves her swimming though :)

13. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I think if I was in your position I would also find it extremely hard to concentrate on my work, knowing the animals could have a better life and mortally rate.

I don`t think they are bad people, just a massive and shocking difference in culture.
    Basically they leave animals to their own devices, which is how we used to be with our animals in the past at one point I`m sure... we didn`t always have all the treatments and knowlegde that we have today.

I would politely explain that you are used to a very different standard of animal welfare back at home, and being passionate about your animals the way you are at home, makes it hard for you to deal with the difference.
    If they understand how passionate you are and how much it effects you, they might atleast understand your way of thinking.
    I wouldnt expect them to make massive changes for you over night tho, because at the end of the day, their way is natures way and you can`t say natures way is the wrong way.

If anything, they might atleast stop getting different sex pets in the future, maybe

Hopefully you can come to some resolve for your own piece of mind

kimdelyse likes this.
  14. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I agree with you, but I have been trying to explain for months and it just isn't working. It hit home that I had made NO difference this week, when they got the new male cat and put it in the cage with the female. That really upset me. These pups are 2 bitches and a dog - and they are keeping them all. :nono:

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

oooh dear ...

If you go down the ultimatum route and they still dont listen, then maybe it would be better to leave.
    If the puppies survive, by 6 months they could be breeding amongst themselves and with in just 12 months there could easily be grand puppies, reproducing with grandogs etc etc and that isn`t how nature works :nono:

Just out of curiosty, have you mentioned this to them ?? I`d like to hope thats not in anyones culture or religion

16. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

If this family is living in England then there is a strong case that they are breaking the Animal Welfare Act by denying basic veterinary care. I'd try talking with your local dog warden and the RSPCA as they may be more receptive to advice from outside sources.

Personally I could no more work for them than a puppyfarmer or a dog fighter. Abuse is abuse.

You think?

17. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

This is in Saudi Arabia where the OP is living at the moment.

18. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I was just trying to word it the way they would see it and a way others would understand it... I wasn`t making that statement as my beliefs.

nature has no mercy and can be very cruel

19. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

It's a totally different mindset and culture - my hubby works out in the Middle East on stray dog control programmes for WSPA - it's like pushing jelly up a hill trying to change attitudes - for example one 'solution' that is used is to drive truck loads of stray dogs and cats out to the middle of the desert and abandon them there - thus absolving those responsible from the 'guilt' of killing them - of course the fact that there is no food, water or shade from the searing heat has nothing to do with it - it's Allahs will if they live or die !!!

20. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

I would not leave my job

Your care and attention is probably the best and only care and attention that those animals will ever get, if you leave then they won't get anything.

Stay and care for the animals as best you can xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice