Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sickness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by pennywatkin, Sep 19, 2013.

1. pennywatkin

pennywatkin PetForums Newbie

my 6 month old cockerpoo has vommitted 3 times today - out of the blue. Was fine last night all started this morning. She keeps retching now as no food given since this morning when she vommitted it back. She has a cold nose and isnt showing any obvious signs of distress. Should I go to the vet or give it time to resolve ? Isthere any very light food you would recommend. She is on Royal Canin complete for neutered small dogs under 10 kilos

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Is she drinking water ? If she's tolerating fluids I would just leave it at that and not give her any food for the rest of the day, then something very bland and easy to digest, in small quantities. Boiled white rice and a little boiled chicken is what's usually recommended, small feeds 2-3 a day and keep her on that until she's 100% normal, then at least another 48 hours on the same regime.
    I f she's not tolerating fluids or seems to be in pain you need to take her to the vet.
    You can check if she's dehydrated by looking at her gums - if they're dry and sticky that's an indication.
    Most attacks of vomiting are caused by eating unwisely, or bugs, and soon pass.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Does she have a history of eating things she shouldn't? Bringing food up after eating or awhile after and still constantly wretching when there is nothing in the stomach ie non productive vomiting worse ways can indicate a blockage sometimes, I would be more concerned in a dog who has a history of eating things they shouldn't though.

Whats her toilet like, is it normal, no signs of looseness or diarrhoea or lack of toileting. If she has diarrhoea or loose motions too that can be a sign of a tummy bug, but also with a blockage, you can get diarrhoea or watery motions at first especially as the previous eaten food can be hurried in transit.
    Some will stop toileting too.

Whats she like in herself? If she is lethargic, not so interested in things like playing that can be a concern too. The most important thing is that she is drinking and keeping water down, as if they lose fluids quicker then it can go in and be absorbed it can lead to dehydration. Check her gums if they are dry and sticky rather then moist and shiny that can be a sign of dehydration, as can gently pulling up the loose skin on their backs and letting go it should spring back quickly, if it delays or stays tent like before returning that's a sign of dehydration too.

Signs of stomach pain and discomfort, are usually lots of stretching, and arching of backs, standing roached backed and/or legs splayed.

Its possible she has a bit of a sickness bug, I would withhold food and then try her on something like plain boiled chicken no skin, and maybe some plain boiled rice or plain potato with it. You can also substitute the chicken for plain white boiled fish no skin and check for small bones first, that's usually an easily digestible resting diet.

If symptoms persist and other appear though in the meantime consult your vet.

4. pennywatkin

pennywatkin PetForums Newbie

Thank you to all of you. Jessie got steadily better towards end of day and had 2small meals as suggested. Scrambled egg and rice. By morning she was fine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice