Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sickly Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by rona3579, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rona3579

rona3579 PetForums Newbie

My bitch gave birth to what appeared to seven healthy pups last Saturday (23rd) Yesterday the first born was very cold and limp has lost weight and is not feeding. I have put her on a heating pad and tried hand feeding but she doesn't seem to have any sucking reflex at all although she had it after birth. Can anyone help

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Firstly keep the pup warm and try syringing special puppy milk into its mouth. It isnt suckling so you will have to syringe a bit at a time. Try latching it onto the mother first though just incase. You will have to seperate it from the litter so it doesnt get pushed out by the others. Keep it in a box somewhere quiet on a hot water bottle covered in towels and feed it every couple of hours.
    I have had this happen a few times and found this helped alot.
    I hope your pup pulls through.
    Best of luck.

3. tracyi

tracyi PetForums Junior

Don't know much about new puppies, but I hope she gets stronger soon, let us know how she gets on :)

4. rona3579

rona3579 PetForums Newbie

Sadly this wee soul died the next day, so sad to see her mum serching for her. All the others are fine and their eyes are strating to open.

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

poor might
    this some time happens though
    might of had something wrong with it and gave up
    glad the others are doing well

6. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear pup didn't make it, hope mum and rest of litter are doing well though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice