Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sick stray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by flo spinazzola, Jun 10, 2017.

1. flo spinazzola

flo spinazzola PetForums Newbie

Hello, we have a feral/stray who showed up in December and gave us kittens on May 5. On the 30 I had her spayed and she's been fine until today. She's been coming in the house, which she never did before, but the kittens are inside since the 30. Today she didn't cry at the door to come in and she's not eating. Her wound looks clean and has no redness but she is walking as if she is in pain and she looks very thin. she probably ate food that had de-wormer in it, but a very small amount. There was a male cat hanging around yesterday and my husband thinks they may have fought, but there are no visible wounds. She will not let me near her so I can't catch her, and the vet is closed. Any ideas? I know she's just a stray, but she's our stray and I'd keep her in if she'd stay. She is about 1 yr old and 5 lbs. The vet thought this was her first litter.

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello & welcome to the forum

I would be very concerned if that was my stray, you have already said she is walking as if she is in pain! This young cat needs to be seen by a vet as quickly as possible. To tempt her so you can get her in a carrier, I'd put out chicken or tuna something very irresistible.
    If you can't take her tonight to the vets, catch her and keep her in a quiet warm room, with water & food.

Let us know how you get on.

moggie14 and Shrike like this.
  3. flo spinazzola

flo spinazzola PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I am trying to temp her, but wants nothing to do with me. I'm hoping she'll go to my husband as she likes him better. If he can get her to come in that would be perfect. I'll keep you updated. I swear she was fine yesterday. I don't understand what happened.

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Anything could have happened to her, a fight, hit by a car, eaten something bad, an infection. Could you borrow a trap if you can't catch her? Once you have her inside keep her in and get her to a vet.If the vet is closed there should be emergency cover at another vet or a hospital.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice