Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick st Bernard

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LJB, Jun 17, 2010.

1. LJB

LJB PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 year old St Bernard who has always been in good health. That was until saturday, when he tried to get up on saturday evening his back end collapsed underneath him leaving him winded, we managed to get him up and moving and he seemed ok.

Then we walked him on Tuesday morning and it happened again, so patiently got him home afew steps at a time as he was pretty unsteady on his feet. Hes also not eating much but drinking loads. Took him to the vets and he is now having blood tests done. Only just got home from work to a flooded kitchen, with pee and a doderey looking dog.

Any ideas what it could be??????

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I'm not sure what it could be, just want to say I hope the bloods come back ok. Did the vet not give you any idea on what it could be?
    I wonder if its just age catching up on him, bless him, we have a 11yr old GSD who is now having to be helped up the stairs. Do you have him on any supplements for his legs? We have Sabre on 1500mg of Glucosomine and 660mg of Devils Claw a day, its helped him loads, along with his bio-flow collar.

*Heidi*

3. LJB

LJB PetForums Newbie

Thanks, havent got him on anything at the moment he has been absolutely fine until now. We thought it was his hips because of his size and age, but vet seems to think its something internal, so now everything is going through my mind.

4. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

Could be his kidneys, thats what it sounds like to me.. my old bordeaux did the same when he was having trouble with his kidneys! The bloods should give you some answers, hope it turns out to be something thats easily treated and he gets better soon xx

#4 vixtory, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice