Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Sarah4fire, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Sarah4fire

Sarah4fire PetForums Newbie

I have has my 6 year old rabbit since December. In January he was checked of generally at the vet and all seemed clear,he also got all clear for his teeth.
    He got a tiny bit wheexy which was noticed when eating towards and of January/February and 1 specific day he wasn't up for eating much so had him checked at the vet who questioned pasturella and Baytril was prescribed and it cleared it up and he was back to his normal self.
    In obtaining him it was recomended to bond him and being such a friendly rabbitari constantly wantsattetion I thought maybe this would be an idea. Thinking it best to go to a week binding bootcamp he came back with a female friend. Although he was again snuffly which the stress of chhange would of brought on and had a cough. Towards the end of the week it wasn't clearing and the vet prescribed enrobactin and metacam There was little change in him over the week and he looked tired, drooling excessively and breathing although normal per minute has been heavy. The vet checked him and couldn't hear anything on his chest and heart sounded fine although she wants to check his teeth. Still all looked fine visually looking at them but she advices a G/A to really see.
    He now looks much purcier but again here n there just lies down looks tired and just not right and breathing not changed.
    My question is so I have him out under a G/A while getting over snuffles or is this another stress just at this point as I read a bunny with snuggles can drool as a symptom too.
    His drilling has settled and he says without dropping good but recently not as demolishing it as he normally would.
    The other bunny is a lively bunny but they seem to be bonding well. I'm just questioning having gone and bonded him now and feel bad. And don't know if to put him under a G/A with so much stress but if any dental problems are going on then that is stress in itself.

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I think only a vet can advise you on what is best thing to do for your rabbit. I have total faith in my vet. If you're not convinced you're getting the best advice for your rabbit, I would ask around for the name of a vet with a good reputation. Also you could try to find a rabbit savvy vet in your area, If no one helps on this forum it might be worth joining a rabbit forum and asking on there. Good luck with him, I really hope he improves.

Sarah4fire likes this.
  3. Sarah4fire

Sarah4fire PetForums Newbie

Thank you noushka05. Yes you are right, i usually have faith my vets but i am new to the rabbit world and i have done a lot of reading and they say exotic vets and an apparently very good rabbit vet are best but my nearest is a 30 minute drive and just now i am a 10 minute drive to my current vet. I think i may look closer into this in the long run but just with so much change i am trying to keep to a minimum of stresses. The vet has a great small animal reputation but more generalized rather than rabbit specific.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice