UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is my first thread so please bear with me.

My 11 week old black lab greeted me as usual this morning, we went out so he could do his 'numbers' and then back inside for breakfast. Not long after he was sick 3 times. The first pile, was gobbled up before I could do anything about it so technically I guess it was just twice he was sick.

I've taken his food up to stave him for the day and left plenty of water for him but does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi all

This is my first thread so please bear with me.

My 11 week old black lab greeted me as usual this morning, we went out so he could do his 'numbers' and then back inside for breakfast. Not long after he was sick 3 times. The first pile, was gobbled up before I could do anything about it so technically I guess it was just twice he was sick.

I've taken his food up to stave him for the day and left plenty of water for him but does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks
Occasionally dogs can be sick, sometimes there is nothing actually wrong and Ive had it occasionally it can happen if they gobble their food down quick and vomit it straight up soon after eating it. Some Labs Ive known can be foodies and greedy guts and if he gobbled it down quick again straight after sicking it up he sounds like that may be the problem. If he is otherwise well in himself, lively interested in things etc etc, going to the toilet OK, its probably not a imediate concern or panic.

If it does carry on though, and especially if he developes other signs, like diarrheoa, lethargic, depressed, uninterested in his surroundings. Then I would get him checked out. If he continues to try to be sick too and nothing comes up
then also that can be a concern. Missing a meal or two wont do him anyharm, but they do need to drink as it can cause dehydration, little and often as he has been sick is better, then gulping down huge amounts in one go as that could make him sick more.

Is he the sort of pup that eats rubbish and things he shouldnt? If he is and Labs can be known chewers, and the symptoms persist then again I would get it checked out, its not unknown for pups to ingest things that can get stuck in the stomach or intestines either.

If he seems fine after missing a meal or two, I would try him on a light resting diet, like boiled or grilled chicken no skin as its full of fat, with a little rice or mashed potato, or you can subsitute the chicken for boiled white fish (check first for the small bones)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sled dog hotel has said it all really so just wanted to emphasise the importance of making sure he drinks water. If you don't see him drinking try and get it down him yourself. We syringe water in ours if they're not very well and not drinking.

If he shows any more symptoms tomorrow, just pop him down to the vet to be sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.