Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick of pooey kisses!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by deb53, May 31, 2010.

1. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Has anyone got any ideas on a litter tray (enclosed) that I could use that a largeish shih tzu can't get into?

I'm fed up with getting moustache filled litter kisses.!!! Combined with poo breathe.

I have an enclosed one that I stupidly removed the flap ages ago when first had Loulou because she wouldn't use it and now have had to put it back down for Magic.

Probably a silly question really..... but someone has said you can get ones with a tunnel that leads into the tray?????:confused: Has anyone heard of these?

Don't get me wrong I clean it each day and whenever I catch Magic pooing but damm dog sometimes beats me to it!!

Apart from cutting the moustache off I cannot think what else to do!!!

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this gagging problem!

2. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

LMAO thanks Deb for the nasty visual i now have lol

3. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry but its beginning to become a real problem :eek::eek::lol:

4. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I have a corner tray from Zooplus but I don't know how big shih tzus are... maybe make a plywood cover with a small catflap in it?

5. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

Cat Toilet Freecat Maxi

The idea is that the cat crawls in from the bottom of the little tunnel.
    I don't know the size of a shih tzu or how big the box is in comparison, but it's worth a try! :)

6. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

AH thanks...yes it could well be...but if its not I think that will definatly solve the problem :thumbup:

Thanks again. And for the link xx

7. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

8. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Not sure if the opening is a little to big still and she could get her head through :( But it is certainly one to consider

Many thanks hun

x

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Out of interest, has she always eaten poop?

10. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

With every kitten she has always dived into it if given the chance!!!....Not her own I have to add :lol: :confused:

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

:lol: Nice! Does she stop when the cat gets older?

Just wondering because poop eating can be a sign of them lacking certain minerals, most notably phosphorus.

But if she grows out of it as the cats get older, then perhaps it is because only the kitten ones are particularly tasty! :D

12. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Well the others go outside in the garden. Its catproof they cant get out, i've not seen her on a cat poo safari :lol: although i do clean up each day.

Its just the litter tray :mad:

13. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I know that supposedly pineapple makes poop taste nasty but I'm not sure that your kitten would eat it and if he did what it would do to him :scared:

14. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

She seems to try anything that is dropped :eek: but think I'll try the tray with the entrance facing down and fingers crossed :lol:

x

15. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Our two cant get in the Maxi :thumbup: but have had to raise them up a little as the fussy lot found it hard to get in :rolleyes:

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

You have my sympathies, our dog also does this. Makes me feel quite ill.

What is it that they are lacking in as I would give her anything to make her stop eating the kitty poo?

17. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

Dogs luuuuuurve cat poo :eek:
    Is tricky one, I two trays in a room the dog has no access to and one tray where he sleeps [ my oldest cat is his bestest bud] and the only thing I've managed is to turn the tray so it's facing a wall with room enough for cat to get in but to tight for dog to get face in.... that worked for about a day, and then he learned to push tray all around floor....
    yuck.

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Apparently a lack of phosphorus can lead to dogs eating poop. Easiest source of phosphorus is meat :). So, you could just give your dog a few bits of meat a day and see whether that does anything.

Catch is too much phosphorus also causes problems including kidney stones and it interferes with the absorption of calcium. However, a few pieces of meat a day are not going to affect that delicate ratio significantly.

Chances are though that if your dog has always done it that it is a behavioural rather than a nutritional thing (which it would be if they started eating poop out of a sudden).

Sorry, a rather long-winded and probably unsatisfactory reply :eek:

#18 hobbs2004, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Can I just say ... ewwwwwwwww :lol: Nothing more to add :D

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

No, it could well be that, I do feed the cats lots of meat but sometimes do leave the dog out, perhaps this is why. Thank you I will give it a bash, I am now going to go and give her some steak mince. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice