Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick of people picking on bull breeds!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nancy23, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Nancy23

Nancy23 PetForums Senior

Hi i own a beautifull rescue mastiff cross staffie and i am sick to death of people presuming shes nasty! she is very well trained and very friendly she would lick anyone to death but i keep her on a lead in public because any dog (of any breed) can have a bad day thats responcable so why give the dirty looks still, its upseting and infuriating!!:cursing: bull breeds get such a bad rap and its down right unfair, ive been bitten by a labrador and an akita and had my angles nipped a number of times by little dogs but i would never say a bad word about those breeds BECAUSE its not the breed its the OWNER!!!! if a dog cant be trusted keep it should on lead and musled, for everyones safety and to stop the bad press on these fantastic dogs and the responcable owners!!!!:angry:

Attached Files:

2. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Hi :)

He's gorgeous! Know it must be frustrating for you, whilst I don't have a bull breed, I looked after one for a few days (a lovely one too) and was shocked by some of the comments I got. Most people I've come across on this forum though know it's deed not breed so I think you're preaching to the (mostly) converted :)

#2 Galadriel17, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

she is lovely :)

sadly you will find some bad comments about breads nor deeds even here. you have to ignore them or be amused, there is no other healthy option.

4. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I love bull breeds. Coles is a SBT-x and Buster is an American bulldog. Your dog is beautiful. :)

5. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Your dogs beautiful:001_wub:

It completely understand where you're coming from as I own bull breeds too:)

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I know how you feel, I just ignore the pathetic comments & realise that both me & my dogs (not bull breeds but still maligned breeds) are above all that;)

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Yes you are right it is the owner, but when I'm walking down the road how am I to know, just because the owner looks responsible doesn't mean they are. So unless I know the owner and dog I shall still cross the road when I see one.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

OP - your dog is gorgeous!! So handsome x

9. PaulRyan

PaulRyan PetForums Member

I love Bull breeds, When I was at the beginning and thinking which breed would be best suited to me I over looked SBT & EBT they would have been perfectly suited to me and my life style. I overlooked them on the sole basis I wouldn't be able to overlook and ignore all the ignorant comments. Even the people that understand that its the owner and not the breed still don't understand the fact its the minority of owners which exist amongst all breeds.

I should say I've since chosen a breed and I'm very happy and wouldn't change it, but its sad to think others might have overlooked them and chosen a breed not suited to them.

Great looking dog, Love her colouring, and her cheeky grin :D

#9 PaulRyan, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

She looks lovely.

11. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Can totally relate to that, so many staffies sat in rescues that would make ideal family pets but will be overlooked. I wouldn't have a staff, not because i would be scared of being eaten by it, but because i couldn't be arsed with justifying him to people and being looked down on, not that I won't suffer with this from my chosen breed, but seems there are alot of staffie owners out there that get dirty looks on a daily basis they don't deserve.

To the OP great looking pooch :D

12. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

She is lovely.

13. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

Your dogs looks lovely, My Akitas best friends are a Staff and EBT, I think people need to look past the hype about the breed and see the dog for what it is, yes there are nasty dogs of EVERY breed out there but that doesnt mean they are all the same. I often get people telling me that i own devil dogs and i am a bad parent for having them with children, at first it would upset me but now i ignore them as my dogs wouldnt hurt anyone.

14. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

She looks adorable.

15. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I totally understand where you are coming from and after 12 years of owning staffies I have gotten quite used to it :rolleyes: Not that its right or ok :nonod:

However I have to admit recently I have had the opposite from strangers, they all come over to stroke Buddy :thumbsup: I have no idea why people like him though :w00t:

Although the worst time was when we had a visit from the police and RSPCA on a report of dog fighting :yikes::yikes::yikes: All because an sbt and ebt could not play quietly :hand: They spoke with us, I showed off the dogs with obedience and tricks :p then put them in the garden to play - never seen an RSPCA representative move so fast :lol: :lol: Luckily they agreed there was no dangerous dog and no dog fighting going on :D Although in hindsight I should have got that in writing :eek::lol:

Sorry have waffled on again :eek: OP your dog is beautiful :001_wub: and you know what a lovely girl these idiots are missing out on :D

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Unfortunately, you will never convince people who believe everything they read in the newspapers. I even had an argument of sorts with some bloke on the heath once, who started going on about the sort of people who would buy a "dog like that". I told him there was nothing wrong with the dog, just people being stupid and leaving any dog alone with a young child (it was just after yet another attack was reported).

I don't even have a staffie nor would I want one, but that is because I like my dogs big and hairy. People are stupid, they follow the crowd, and you will never convince them that they are wrong.

17. Ameliarate

Ameliarate PetForums Member

I was looking at the dogs for adoption on the local RSCPA website recently and nearly all of them were staffie crosses or grayhounds.

I must admit I wouldn't want to adopt one simply because you don't know who has had it before and what baggage it might have, bearing in mind the type of people who often have staffies and the reasons they have them.

Having typed that and thinking about it I suspect as they are intelligent dogs they could be re-trained and be perfectly ok, but I'll stick with my lurcher anyway.

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

But you could say the same about any breed really. I don't know why there are so many staffies in rescue, but you can make a vicious dog out of any breed when you give it to an idiot to raise.

A friend adopted a golden retriever from a rescue centre which turned out to be dog aggressive and had to always be on a lead. They are usually the friendliest dogs in my experience. It has put her off ever rescuing again, which is a shame.

19. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Im curious Hp, Would you cross the road just for bull breeds? Or any dog in general?

Anyway back tot he general thread :

Millie isnt a Bull breed but is small and muscular which I thinks concerns some owners. Sometimes I give up telling people Millie is friendly :nonod: If they have prejudices which means they believe my girl is going to hurt there darling dog then its prol not the type of person i would like to have a natter with whilst the dogs play anyway :001_tongue:

Sometimes its hard not to judge a book by its cover BUT some of the nicest Bull breeds I have meet have been walked by younger males in track suits with the dogs in leather 'staffy' harnesses :D

20. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Sometimes though the bull breed owners are simply too defensive and seeing some perceived slight when there is none. My Dad was totally bemused when a woman kept shouting at him "she's friendly" about a little staffy which was doing nothing more than having a sniff around & wagging its tail - dad just thought the woman was a bit loopy!

I was accosted by some miserable behatch with a staffie snapping at me "you don't have to cross the road it won't rip your throat out" annoyed me a little so said I beg your pardon I most certainly do need to cross the road to which she replied "your read too much rubbish in the press, it won't attack your mutt either"

my reply was "look you stupid woman, take that big chip off your shoulder I am crossing the road because I bloody live over there, your dog doesn't bother me but I will certainly avoid you" :mad:

Whats wrong with folk, why can't they just go about their own business and leave others alone. If someone wants to avoid me or my dog I don't really give a monkeys to be honest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice