Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick of being pulled!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by alienandy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. alienandy

alienandy PetForums Junior

I am totally at my wits end now with trying to walk our Charlie dog. He is now just over 9 months old, and he still pulls like crazy. So much so that sometimes he actually makes himself sick! This is getting worse than ever now as he's getting bigger and heavier. He has already damaged ligiments in my shoulder which I ended up at the local Doctors surgery with! I have tried everything. Treats while walking, different leads including sliplead (which chokes him to death), and now I am trying to use a 'gentle leader', but he pulls that off after I have almost had to fight him to get it on him in the first place. The design of that lead is pretty pathetic to be honest, as he finds it quite easy to pull back off his nose.

I truly am at a loss.

I think that I am now beginning to resign myself to thinking that he is impossible to be trained to walk properly on a lead. He is far too intelligent and knows how to get out of anything! We should have called him Houdini!!

I really have followed every single idea that has been given to me by either people on here or books etc. NOTHING works. Very frustrating. Tonight I have again attempted to put this damned gentle leader thing on, must be 20 times, and every time he dives on the floor and uses his front paws to pull it off. :mad:

He will miss his walkies tonight as my arm(s) cannot take the punishment again tonight. I am beginning to have a constant numbness now in my left arm which is from his pulling.

Sorry if I sound a bit down, but I really am stuck now. Pity Caeser Milan don't do UK dog owners!

2. AJH

AJH PetForums Junior

Both my dogs are labs so they are quite excitable. I trained them using the heel command. I was strong enough that I would not get jerked everywhere so I suppose that helped although when training the older lab who is 7 now, I was only about 10 or 11myself and I did have difficulty getting him to walk nicely. I bought a harness for him, it stopped me getting jerked around the park and learned a stronger grip for the lead because he has a very strong neck. How I trained them was everytime they ran, or even walked ahead of me I would pull them back, flick them gently on their back with the end of the leash and say 'heel'. And have them walking beside me in line with my foot. I still have to do that but they obey though.

3. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

u should really pick one method which suits u best and just stick to it as if more u try the more u confuse the dog about what u want from him....

Im not a strong person and i use a half check collar on my gsd and everytime he pulled i checked him back and stopped for 5 secs, done this since i have him and he is 14 months old now and just started to walk perfectly to heel withoud a lead. He tries to speed up in certain situations but i just check him back or sometimes the command heel does it too ;)

It takes time and patience and u have to stay consistant and never allow to pull.... i know how painfull it can get, was at the gp with my shoulder before too as it got sore after checking back so often lol :D

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If the slip lead chokes him then you are using it wrong and please do not attempt to use it again!
    I cannot stand it when I see someone walking a dog who puls using a choke and letting the dog pull against it! The correct way to use it is by givig short sharp tugs to correct.

I agree, pick ONE method to train and stick to that, you will confuse him by chopping and changing.

Also, you could use all the trainig devices at once and still have a dog that pulls.. They make no differentce if you don't put in the work.

I find stopping completely as soon as the dog pulls works best. I also use a 'walkezee harness' on Dixie as she is a bad puller. She cannot pull as much with it on but she has learned to pull against it a little. So as soon as she pulls/goes infront of me I stop dead and make her go back to heel, and only continue walking when she is at heel.

Treats often do not work, dogs are usually more focused on everything else when on walks. The treat I use is walking. If she is at heel, the walk contunues. If not, it doesn't.

I use a clicker, she knows 'heel' (just come to my heel) and 'go round to heel' (wlk behind me to come to heel) and is great at both. Try getting your dog to do these commands in the house with no distractions and gradually move to places with low distractions (ie garden) and just keep woeking at it.

Don't give up :)

x

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

have you tied making sure hes calm before you move off? if he starts to run. stop and get him calm again.... keep on with this for ever and ever and ever and use the same monotone voice correcting as heel, dont shout, wave your arms, raise your voice, anything just slow steady, bored heel. after 20 mins if hes not got it return home and let him do his business back at your house :)

#5 james1, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. alienandy

Firstly, thank you all for responding so quick. Much appreciated.

James1
    Keep calm before we go out? Impossible. After the trouble I have getting a lead on him before we leave, he pulls me to our front door like there's no tomorrow! I weigh roughly 16 stone and yet he has so much strength in him already that he nearly pulls me over. I am totally unable to calm him down. As soon as I open the door slightly, he bolts out through it usually banging me into the door! As for 'doing his business in our back yard', that's what he always does! lol. That's one thing I can't get my head around, he's hardly ever peed or pood on walks, he always waits until he gets back home. Yet I do give him ample opportunity, and also try to encourage him.

PoisonGirl
    How can you say that I am using the slip lead wrong? Now I am puzzled. This does go round his neck doesn't it? Look a bit silly around his body! lol. Not being funny, but no matter how you put that on him, when he pulls like he does it will no doubt slip down to a point on his neck that will inevitably choke him.
    As for changing leads and confusing him, well I've been using this lead for some time now as the other normal leads starting cutting into my palms due to his excesive pulling. The slip lead is like a thick rope, so it doesn't hurt as much.
    The stand still when he pulls technique I have tried and failed miserably. He is too intelligent! I have even done the change direction thing too, but he knows that I will turn round again shortly, then he goes back to pulling again! I would find this normally quite funny and amazingly intellingent, but I don't. It's very frustrating.

Natik
    What is this half check collar you mentioned? Sounds like that might be worth a shot. So far I've tried 3 different standard type leads, a slip lead, a harness, and now trying a gentle leader. All have been a waste of time.

AJH
    I'll swap you! lol.

So many people (dog owners) have asked me if I have had his 'bits' done yet. Which of course I have said no. (I may get this done shortly, been delaying this due to it being 'a bloke thing', like my Mrs keeps saying). These owners have all said that it calms the dogs down and may help also with the walkies? As this is all new to me (had dogs but never a pup), it sounds reasonable I suppose, but I don't know.

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Have you actually trained him to accept it or are you just trying to put it on him by force?

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I didn't mean you had it on wrong. I meant a slip lead or choke chain should not be used if the dog is just going to pull against it. Otherwise you can do some serious famage to the dogs throat and can cause breathing difficulties.
    Sorry I didn't mean itt o sound like I was being nasty. But when using a slip lead or choke chain, you should never let the dog just pull against it.
    It should be positioned behind the dogs ears at thetop of the neck and you give a short tug upwards to correct the dog.

These links are about choke chains not slip lead but they have the same purpose..
    How to Use a Choke Chain for a Dog | eHow.com
    How To Use The Choker Chain

x

9. alienandy

No probs, I know you mean't well. I was in quite a 'mood' last night as I felt so frustrated with him. Thanks for those links. As for the slip lead, it does worry me when I can hear him strangling himself. So I think I will once again change back to a normal lead. I am truly getting nowhere now. :(

Dundee
    How can I get him to accept the gentle leader, when he just hates it so much? Using treats etc does not work. I can't believe how intelligent Charlie is. We are used to having intelligent dogs having had a previous Border Collie and a Collie X. However we did not have them from pups, so Charlie is our first intelligent pup. Apart from a couple of naps during the day, I am playing with him constantly. We work from home so he's rarely left alone. The only time I personally can relax is from 11pm at night when he goes to his Pen to sleep for the night. I haven't any other problem with him, it's just the pulling thing. I have already trained him to wait when he gets to the side of a road, but as soon as I say 'come on then' to cross the road, he's back to yanking me along again!
    :confused:

10. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

If your arms are suffering you might find it easier, when using the "stop/start/change direction" method to use a training lead and clip it round your waist.

11. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

I have one word and it has been a GOD SEND TO ME WHEN THEY WERE YOUNG.......

HALTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll try to pull it off, throw themself against you to get it off but for me, they soon get sick of doing it and relaxes, well mine did !! Every dogs different, all I can say is try to be calm and try to be patient. Try 1 method and be consistent too!

Good luck hun-keep us informed!!!!!!!!!:D

12. rona

rona Guest

I had the same problem with my boy when I first rehomed him.
    I used a Halti for long on lead walks and chose a few 100yds on each walk that I made him walk to heel on normal lead.
    I realised that I couldn't stop the pulling for a whole walk, it just wasn't feasible, but once I had gained control on certain parts of each walk, he gradually improved elsewhere.
    He now walks on a loose lead unless he sees a cat ;)

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

A half check collar is half chain and half normal collar. But the dog should not be allowed to pull on a half check collar either and its only to be used to check and release.
    I find getting a dog not to pull is a long lasting process and mine are great unless there are distractions such as cats, rabbits....

14. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i dont know anything about puppys really - i have only had my lil chorkie for 4 days lol

i was wondering if putting his collar on him wayyyyyy before you plan on taking him out would work - he will probably get all excited, yapping and jumping and the like, eventually he may calm down - then the 'ohhh i got a collar on, i'm going out' scenario might calm down a bit????

can't suggest owt for the pulling though - sorry

i dunno if what i have suggested will help - but thought i would bite the bullet and run the risk of sounding stupid :)

L x

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Sorry i havnt come on here to help you, but sympathise with you we have 2 springers 1 is nearly 9 and the youngest it just 12months and they are both pullers so was our first one, we are away at the moment and having to be on the lead a lot it has really brought it home to us just how bad they are, at home they are not on the lead very much that doesnt go to say we havnt tried to train them with the first one i went to classes to learn how to lead train, we have tried. . . .
    training classes
    the stop start
    walking in the other direction
    harness
    halti
    stopping and treating basically every trick in the book all the advice ever being given and 9 years later we are no further forward:rolleyes: just thankfull they are so good off lead, so if you do find anything else and it works let me know.What a pain it is it takes all the pleasure out of walking them i have noticed though that for every dog we have seen walking nice on a lead there is no end of springers and labs pulling. Enthusiastic i like to say.:D

16. dogwalkingnow

dogwalkingnow PetForums Newbie

17. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Ref; your post about your dog pulling you out the door.what i do is;go out in the garden with the lead,dog is bouncing around as if its got a spring up his rear ! i just walk round the garden untill hes calmed down,then put lead on and walk round garden if he pulls i change direction,after awhile he calms down,i then go to gate if he pulls i turn round,in the beginning of doing this sometimes it would take 30 mins untill he was calm enough to take out,its hard to stay calm when having to do this but it worked for us,now i am out the gate within 10 mins and then get a good walk.
    Good luck its so frustrating having a dog thats like this,the one that did this is not the one in my avater its the other dog in my pics hes a Lakeland x and a real yob at times,but other times is soooooooo cuddly Another thing i did was get him a harness and this helped alot

#17 hazel pritchard, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Something I actually did was to spend about an hour just walking up and down the road, without going anywhere near the park to get her walking sorted. Maybe this would help?

I also used a combination of stop start and also when she was walking to heel, click and treat.

Her walking on the way back from the park is perfect now, on the way there we still have to stop several times, but still much better than it was before.

I hope you find a solution

19. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

LOL brilliant isnt it - when all else fails use practicality :D:D:D

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone who says the haltis are good it didnt work for me as mine hated it so much he would not come back to me we had perfected his recall as he was off lead more than on so wanted the recall good, that went out of the window because whenever i called him back he thought he was having the halti back on, and both mine cottoned on to this.:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice