Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick Hamster. Please help me.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by CatsMother, May 23, 2010.

1. CatsMother

CatsMother PetForums Member

Hi

I bought a female hamster from pets at home last tuesday 18th . and today i notice her back underneath area is all messy. in her house on the bedding theres loose poo. I cant see that shes weeing. Not eating or drinking i dont think. and dont come out very often .

They said shes 7/8 weeks but she tiny.

:sad:

Vets are not Open either. I dont know what to do

2. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

It sounds a bit like wet tail - in which case she needs to see a vet really but if its not open then I'm not sure what you can do... hopefully someone else will be along to give you some advice. I think the most important thing is to keep them hydrated though :(

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like it might be wet tail, which requires prompt treatment, as you haven't had your hamster long I would suggest taking her back to Pets at Home on Monday & explaining the situation. Can't offer much help really as I don't know much about hamsters. Hope she pulls through xx

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

5. CatsMother

Thanks Every1!

Just rang Pets At Home, they said to take her to my vets tomorrow morning.
    And if she has to have treatment bring the reciept from the vets and from when I bought her back to PAH and they will refund me and give me another hamster. But I dont think i would want another from there now. Plus when I went to the vets 2 years ago with my hamster she had wet tail, they put her to sleep. Im really dreading it tomorrow, why does this have to happen when she could of had a loving life with me :(

I keep trying to offer her drink + Ive added Vitamins in her water but she refuses it :(

From the 1st time I saw her, I called her Angel. Maybe thats why :(:(:(

x

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Fingers crossed for little Angel, if you can keep her then please do, P@H will probably just send her back to the rodent farm she came from:( when really they should pay for her treatment, not just swap her for another one.
    With swift treatment wet tail is curable xx

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

dont know much about wet tail and such but good luck with the vets!

I'd just ask for a refund from P@H, their animals are from very unethical, cruel places and you're better off either finding a breeder (good ones are hard to come by though) going to a rescue (many RSPCA/rescue centres also take in small animals!) or even keeping an eye out on somewhere like preloved or Pets4homes to give a home to an unwanted hamster, there's always 'unwanted gifts' on there, or ones from people whose kids have got bored of them :rolleyes:

8. synesthesiac

synesthesiac PetForums Newbie

Definitely take her to the vet as they may be able to help her, and meanwhile make sure that her cage is really dry - I understand wet tail can be caused/worsened by damp conditions, as hamsters are meant to live in very dry environments. Make sure her water bottle doesn't drip, and her bedding is clean and dry.

What sort of health did she have when you bought her? Was she okay then?

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I hope you get on ok at the vets - hopefully they will be able to catch it in time :)

Its not the animal's fault they have come from rodent farms though...... I don't like to think about what Pets at Home do to the animals that get taken back for a refund :mad:

10. synesthesiac

synesthesiac PetForums Newbie

Yeah, I don't think you should take the hammie back to the shop, for her own sake - just give them a wide berth in future!

I had no idea P@H had such a bad reputation... our little furries are from there!

11. CatsMother

Hi everyone.

When i got her, they were out the back. he bought them in, in 2 cages which contained about 10 hamsters per cage :mad:

Dont worry everyone. Shes not going back to PetsatHome. I'm praying she will be ok.:(

Her cage is fully dry.
    she gets cleaned out every 3-4 days and her bedding in her house every day at the minute.

Ive also added Vitamins in her water.

She also drank a little when i put it near her but now sleeping again :(

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

When I knew a lot less about P@Hs practices and hamsters in general tbh I took a dwarf hamster back because it was attacking its sister and they assured me that it would go back to the breeder to "be tamed" I now know that meant that it would go back to the rodent farm to be disposed of, I still feel guilty that I sent the poor thing to its death. As they are willing to pay for vets bills and you already have the hamster I would get it to the vets asap and give him a chance to recover. In future avoid them like the plague though, I have had animals from the adoption section but Ive recently found out that most of them are just unsold stock from the sales section.

13. CatsMother

Hi,
    Just got back from the vets.

He said it is wet tail. Very dehydrated and no meat on her bones :(

Hes keeping her for 24 hours to get her hydrated and give her antibiotics and see what shes like tomorrow morning if no better he advises to have her put to sleep. :(

Will keep you all updated.

14. thedogsmother

Poor little girl, keeping everything crossed for her, (hugs) to you too. Wet tail is very contagious so you will need to thoroughly disinfect her cage, bottle bed etc, basically anything she has come into contact with.

15. Shamen

Shamen Guest

aw so sorry, i really hope she pulls through xx

p@h have a lot to answer for:mad:

16. CatsMother

Thanks Hun, I have everything crossed too..
    x

17. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Hope she manages to pull through :(

18. CatsMother

Angels Home.

They have given her Bytril? (sp) for an antibiotic which I have to put in 30ml of water for her.
    And they've also given me some recovery food which i mix with water(she loves it).

Shes now began to eat a little solid food and drinking so Im praying shes on the road to recovery.

They said she aint out of the woods yet tho :(

Ive got to take her back next wednesday for a check up as she had to stay there overnight.

Off to pets at home in a bit to claim back the vet fees.

Will add some piccies of her later.

x

19. thedogsmother

Thanks for the update, Im sure her eating is a good sign, looking forward to the pics.

20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I'm so glad to see your hammy has made it through, hope she carries on down the road to recovery :D

Just to clarify - I didn't mean take the hammy back to the shop, taking an animal back to P@H is the last thing i'd advise. I meant if she didn't make it but didn't wanna say that cos I didnt want to sound like Dr Death :eek: :eek:

sorry if i've offended or upset anyone there, it was just a badly worded post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice