Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sick dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by thedeans, May 30, 2010.

1. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

two days ago pebbles was sick all day long - she was a really sorry sight especially when heaving with nothing to bring up - her little belly was contracting and she was walking with belly almost touching the floor

It turned out after speaking to OH that they had raided the bin and had eaten a cheese and tom pizza(he put a box next to the bin and the dogs climbed up it like a step)

As she suffers with her tummy anyway - I wasn't overly concerned

However today I have got up to a nightmare - poo, wee and sick everywhere
    One of the others - Todd is now sick and is shivering and shaking he's a really sad looking doggy today

So I'm wondering is it a bug do you think or is this all due to eating the pizza?? Incidently they had their kennel cough vacc 10days ago - could it be that?

Finally he suffers with sickness if his belly gets empty or if he eats too much too quickly so has to have several small meals a day (i usually leave a small amount of dry food down all day)

Not sure what to do for the best - any advice would be great

2. rona

rona Guest

How is Pebbles now?
    It wouldn't still be the pizza, is there any chance that they have eaten anything else? A poisonous plant etc :confused:
    Only you know how bad they are but I wouldn't leave something like this too long.

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

PLENTY OF FRESH WATER BUT NO FOOD AT ALL FOR THE DAY.
    otis done this, turned out it was a fresh bone he had, been hidden in the garden for a week and he went back to it. make him really sick and smelly, gushing green poo the works. took him to vets, cost a bloody fortune "just in case jabs"

vet said we should have just starved him for the day and gave him loads of fluids.

then start him off again with bland rice with a lkittle bit of chicken

4. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

thanks for that - I'll try some chicken later on

Pebbles is fine - she gets ill every few months due to a narrowing in her stomach exit so for her it's normal - she knows the routine and takes herself off to the crate and sleeps herself better - when that doesn't work after 24hrs she has an antisickness jab at vets - she has twice ended up on a drip but that was in the early days when we didn't know what was going on

Todd however hasn't been seriously sick ever - he vomits bile when his stomach is empty but only a tiny bit and a handful of food soon sorts that out
    so for him he looks a bit shocked - he is the greediest of them all and is first in the food bowl and last out

I will see how he gets on during the day - if no better then will have to call the emergency vet - ker ching - (typical ill over a bank holiday)

I can't see any new plants in the garden (I only have mainly grass as they like to dig plants up) However the grass has alot of buttercups in it - are these poisionous?? - He did eat a huge house spider yesterday thou:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice