Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick dog query

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chizzlewit, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Chizzlewit

Chizzlewit PetForums Junior

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice.

I gave my pup her scheduled worming dose this morning, which was all ok.

However, in the early evening she was sick. She was a little shaky at first, but I think that's mostly because it was her first experience of being sick, poor thing.

She soon brightened up (in minutes) and later on I gave her a little food, which she wolfed down. However, about an hour later she was sick again.

She seems very happy, and by the ammount she's begging for my dinner and the gusto with which she last ate, her appetite seems to be absolutely fine.

I'm torn between trusting what she's telling me, and feeding her, and worrying about her just throwing it all up again. A big part of me wants to feed her her dinner - is this wrong?

She's got a vet's appointment tomorrow for a microchip anyway, and she's been keeping her fluids up, so I'm not too worried about dehydradtion.

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi, what brand of wormer did you give her? if really worried i would call the vets for a chat

3. Chizzlewit

Hi Hazel,

It was Johnson's wormer, which says vomiting is an unlikely side effect, but I can't rule it out as this is the first time she's had this.

However, I'm not too worried, as I say, as she seems very full of beans - still happily scamping around, wanting food and responding even to training, so I think she's ok.

I'm just wondering wether it's best to trust her and feed her her dinner, or wether I should be leaving it for now, so she can get whatever's upsetting her stomach out first.

4. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Missing a meal will not be a problem.

Being sick is a natural reaction, allow time for the pup's system to settle is wise.

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A dose of wormer can make puppies sick (and adult dogs for that matter) and also give them diarrheoa.

I'm not being critical but Johnsons is not a very good wormer and neither are any of the brands that you can buy in your local pet shop. You would be better to ask your vet tomorrow for Drontal, Panacur or a wormer of similar quality to use the next time.

6. Chizzlewit

Cheers guys,

I think you're right about Johnson's. Will get a vet approved brand for next time.

7. porchpotty

porchpotty PetForums Member

Just relax everything will be okay,I guess it is just a reaction of the medicine given.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice