UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice on my cat Simba. He's 4 never had any health issues really he does throw up sometimes but thats due to eating too quickly, however, since Tuesday evening he hasn't been eating much food at all. He's on natures menu wet food and has been for about a month now.

He seems to be quite reserved and hiding under tables. He is normally a quiet cat very observant but loves to play with his younger brother Leo but doesn't seem interested in playing at the moment.

He is going to the vets tonight at 6pm but I'm currently at work and can't think of anything else but my cat :(.

Other than his food change theres no other changes in the house or anything.

I wouldn't have noticed anything to do with urine or faeces as he does his toilet outside.

Any help/advice would be great :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Unfortunately I know how you feel not knowing what's wrong but its really good you have made a vets appointment.

Have you used flea treatment recently?
Is he weeing and poo'ing ok? Not straining or anything?

Hope he's ok and let us know how it goes xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks auspiciousmind, I'm quite worried even if it is something that can be treated then and there I just hope hes not been suffering since Tuesday that would really upset me!

I flead him at the beggining of October.

I'm not sure about his toilet as he does it outside. As soon as they were allowed out as kittens they never used the litterbox so didn't feel the need to have one anymore.

I will keep an update on here as to whats wrong xx

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks auspiciousmind, I'm quite worried even if it is something that can be treated then and there I just hope hes not been suffering since Tuesday that would really upset me!

I flead him at the beggining of October.

I'm not sure about his toilet as he does it outside. As soon as they were allowed out as kittens they never used the litterbox so didn't feel the need to have one anymore.

I will keep an update on here as to whats wrong xx
I can understand about being worried, make a list of things you've noticed different about him if that helps so you don't forget to tell the vet something and ask as many questions as you want.. that's what they're there for.

The only reason I asked about litter tray is because when we just had Button (who is allowed out) we had no litter tray. Now we have Romeo (who's not allowed out) we do.. and we had a really bad scare with flea collars and the only reason I was able to notice that Button / Romeo hadn't been to the toilet was because I could check the litter trays. I think even when Romeo is allowed outside that we will keep at least one litter tray.

I'm sure he'll be fine though ;) sending positive vibes and hugs! Will be waiting to here an update!

xx

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Hi leoandsimba:) Sorry to hear your cat seems under the weather. As he is an outdoor cat it is possible he has picked up some kind of virus or infection. Do you know whether he is a hunter, and eats his prey? Has he vomited as far as you know? Could he have injured himself in any way?

My cats are allowed out in the daytime but (for their safety) are always shut in at night, so they have a litter tray at night. The advantage of this is if one of my cats has diarrhoea the chances are they will need to use the litter tray during the night, thereby alerting me early to a problem, so I can then observe behaviour to identify which cat is ill.

If a cat is off colour after a recent change of diet it is always worth reviewing it. Personally I did not find any of my cats got on with Nature's Menu, one kept vomiting, and two of them developed diarrhoea. All cleared up as soon as I stopped feeding the NM. So it might be worth changing your cat's diet just in case it is the NM that does not agree with him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys!

Update on Simba, sorry I did not reply earlier stupid BT having issues with their broadband again.

I took him to the vets Thursday night and there isn't anything wrong with him to my surprise. He did eat all his dinner Thursday and has been fine the hole weekend.

He could have possibly eaten something like a bird or mouse or something and it didn't agree with him or the old man across the way had given him something that upset his stomach, he does have a sensitive stomach anyway (try to tell this old man that is like speaking to a brick wall!!). Vets didn't detect any upset tummy his eyes ears stomach etc was all fine so everything is good :D

Thanks for all your concern and advice guys xxx

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Hey Guys!

Update on Simba, sorry I did not reply earlier stupid BT having issues with their broadband again.

I took him to the vets Thursday night and there isn't anything wrong with him to my surprise. He did eat all his dinner Thursday and has been fine the hole weekend.

He could have possibly eaten something like a bird or mouse or something and it didn't agree with him or the old man across the way had given him something that upset his stomach, he does have a sensitive stomach anyway (try to tell this old man that is like speaking to a brick wall!!). Vets didn't detect any upset tummy his eyes ears stomach etc was all fine so everything is good :D

Thanks for all your concern and advice guys xxx
I think you should show the old man the vet bill and tell him that his feeding your cat made him ill and you had to take him to the vet as a result. Maybe the suggestion to make him pay the vet bills if he feeds him again will make him think twice....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.