Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sick 3-week old Khaki Campbell

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by KateDesm05, Mar 25, 2014.

1. KateDesm05

KateDesm05 PetForums Newbie

I'm in need of some advice/guidance. We just bought our new Easter flock (10 chicks-mixed breeds, and 3 ducklings). They all came home without issues, but after letting the ducklings swim for 3 minutes in warm water, our 3-week old khaki started acting like he was drunk. Unable to stand upright, falling over to the side, erratic movements/twitching, limber neck. He has been eating and drinking well but does much better with support. There wasn't any trauma in the water. I dried him off well and returned him to the brooder. Once I noticed his behavior, I separated him into his own brooder and heat lamp. He didn't get into any toxins. Because of his size (about the size of a 1 week old duckling), I am questioning failure to thrive/malnourished/deficiencies, but I have no idea. I have never dealt with anything like this before.

Any advice on treatment remedies?

He eats unmedicated starter/grower with 20% protein. He also gets niacin in his water. He's got a warming lamp, and directly under it is about 80-85 degrees and he has the ability to move away if need be. I have taken his water out of the brooder because I'm afraid he will drown in it.

I've read about Polyvisol, selenium, vitamin e. Anything else? Anyone with experiences like this?

2. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

If he's very small and only the size of a 1 week old duckling there's not much you can do except wait and see I'm afraid, his diet will have everything he needs in it so don't add extra to his water as you can overdose. What was he like when you went to see them and pick them out? I'd also not let them swim until they have their waterproof adult feathers as ducklings can get chilled and waterlogged quickly.
    I'd make sure he's warm and is able to get away from heat if needed, if he's panting and all the others are further away from the heat then it's a good indication it's too hot, just move the heat lamp higher, and just see how it goes. He may or may not survive, you'll know in a few days, if he doesn't improve in a week and is still small and can't stand unaided then I'd call it a day - some just fail to thrive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice