Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Siberians

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jem29, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Are siberian cats generally better if you have an allergy to cats? My husband has asthma since we got our kitten Pebbles last month, I wish we had looked into it before we got him because the GP is saying we should think about re-homing him, my husbands asthma is that bad:( Today he could hardly breath:(

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

There isnt any proof to back up that they are, from memory their skin shows up less of something (cant rem what it was!) than other cats but they arent hypo-allergenic.

some breeders do tests so you can see, go sit with them or send of bits of cat hair etc!!

I have heard that bengals are OK alot of people have said but then it depends on the person and the actual allergy itself.

3. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

is it they have less dander? I tell you what cat would be ok a Spynx cat but they are expensive and have little or no hair.

4. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

With my husband its only asthma that flares up, he isnt asthmatic unless near a cat.

Nothing has worked to control it though and it has got so bad we have to re home him:(

5. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I think Taylorbaby's suggestion is perhaps the most practical but to be honest I think you have to face the prospect that you may not be able to have another cat as it will probably end up having to be rehomed. I do feel for you as I think it would be so hard not to be able to have a cat.

6. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I have to accept it but its breaking my heart:(

Pebbles is going to his new home today, taking all of his toys and food with him, I really don't want him to go but I know he can't stay:(

My head hurts from all the crying and no sleep.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My hubby was very allergic to two kittens we got once - litterally having an asthma attack as he walked in the door! Luckily we had got them from the RSPCA and they took them back. We found that he was much much better with a pedigree or a 1 generation cross - it is soemthing to do with the different gnetic makeup of the hair shaft shape and therefore the dander and the saliva as well. I had resigned myself to never having cats at one stage - but now we have the Birmn (who hubby isn't allergic to at all), her kittens (again hubby is fine) and a moggy (hubby needs to be careful with him, washes hands after touching etc and the cat is out a lot of the time. It is stll possible for you to have a cat you just need to choose carefully and obviously will cost you more than a moggy. I suggest you go for a silky haired breed and tn ring a few breeeders of different types of cats and go and sit in their houses - actually ask them deliberately NOT to hover the day before or on the day so there is lots of dander in the air.

8. munners

munners PetForums Junior

It really does depent on the individual.My sons girlfriend has a really bad allergy too cats but can have my siberian sleeping on her lap
    with no symptons at all,Also my immediate neighbours are allergic too cats but again have no problem with my girl.

It may be an idea to see if you can find a breeder near you as most will do a allergy testing service.

My heart goes out to you i know i would be in pieces if i was in your situation right now.

Regards
    Nicki

9. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I am in bits, dreading 2pm when I have to take him to his new home:(

The only symptom hubby gets is the wheezing and bad cough, his asthma has got worse though the longer we have had the kitten. He didn't ever have asthma in the 10 years we have been together until we got the kitten.

There are no siberian breeders near us that do the testing unfortunatly so I am abit scared about getting one and him reacting again, having to go through all of this again is not an option, I feel heartbroken. I have always wanted a kitten, he has 2 border terriers that I love dearly but it isn't the same.

Hubby feels terrible about this, it isn't his fault at all I keep telling him. He keeps asking if I would like another puppy, he isn't allergic and we could cope with another one but all I want is a cat:(

10. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Hi Spid,

What are silky haired breeds? siberians? they are the ones I have read about, they are gorgeous.

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Just read in my book its somehing to do with protein? they have less of it?

What about a curly haired breed? I dont know if they would be different?

12. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Yes I read its something to do with the fd 1 being lower or something, aparently that causes the reaction?? I thought it was the hair that caused a reaction but obviously not.

Thanks.

13. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

aww bless such a hard thing that you are doing, my OH is the same we had 2 cats from RSPCA and had to take them back because of his allergy, he is fine with dog hair. Thinking of you and hope that you are able to get a cat in the future.

14. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you, it is incredibly difficult, I am so upset, hardly slept last night.

He has said we should get a shihtzu because they are as cute as cats, lol! Bless him, he really is trying to make it up to me;)

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Unfortunately I dont think getting any sort of cat will be ok as I have been following your other posts and your hubby seems very sensative and highly allergic! if there is such a thing.

My sister loves cats but is the same, even one hair can trigger it off and she has also been rushed to hospital so she knows she cant, she got 3 dogs instead! lol

Sorry to say that I know how much you want a kitty and I do sympathise but I dont think its a good idea.

16. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I agree with the above. Your husband sounds like he is in a lot of pain. That alone surely would be enough to not risk it again?

17. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

I also agree that it would be best not to take another cat on with your husbands allergy.

Were you not aware previous to getting your cat that your OH had an allergy to them as he must have come into contact with quite a few throughout his life?

He has had some very bad reactions.

18. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Ok jsut read i n my book it says apparently they have less protein in their saliva..BUT scientists say that it was miss-read and that isn't true!

If his ok with dogs maybe another doggy? I hope he likes his new home, he is young enough to adjust quickly, you are doing the right thing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice