Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Siberian Husky Pup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by bev145, Jul 1, 2009.

1. bev145

bev145 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have had my 8 week old puppy for just over a week now:D:D. At first all was going swimmingly with the toileting, she would go on the paper in the kitchen or take herself off outside if she needed to go in between when I take her out. However theese past two days she have started squating where ever she feels like going leaving not just 1 puddle but 2 or 3 at a time!:cursing:
    I have to sleep downstairs with her as she howls solidly all night, I know I shouldn't and I did try to do the ignoring her thing but we have a rather psychoitc neighbour who makes just as much noise as her banging on my walls!!
    Any advice on either issues would be very much appriciated.
    Bev

2. Husky-Owner

Husky-Owner PetForums Member

Hi congrats on being owned by a sibe :D

It's early days yet, keep persevering. Praise when she does it right but don't punish when she does it wrong.

Do you crate her? If not, it's worth considering, a crate isn't like a prison, more of a den for them, somewhere safe and cosey for them to sleep.

I would have a word with your neighbour and say look for a few days she is going to cry but if you bang and shout then it's only going to make things worse and take a hell of a lot longer to keep her calm and quiet at night.

If she gets used to you sleeping downstairs with her then it will be even harder to break the habbit.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on :)

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Our Husky x didn't settle at night.....until we got him a crate!

He now knows that once he is taken out for a wee last thing at night, its bedtime, and goes in his crate!

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Same here we use a crate for Logan and he loves it, we had it in our bedroom for the first few weeks then moved it into the ounge once he was settled. If he cried in the night we used to just speak to him and he would settle back down, sometimes i think they just need reassuring that someone is around! But not attention given in the way of cuddling or playing with.
    We set our alarm for 3 hour toilet breaks and he now sleeps through the night and is clean and dry. (he is 17weels old). He goes out at 10.30pm we say bedtime and he goes in his crate and has his bonio and we get up at 6.30am and he goes out and is fed!!

5. bev145

bev145 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all advice, :D

We seem,(touch wood) to have her house trained!! She takes herself off outside whenever she needs to go, and is sleeping 6 hours in the night without making a mess.:D:D

I now have a new problem, We started separation training last week only for 5-10 minutes at a time. She howls a bit, we tell her stop and she does, However when we open the kitchen door again totaly ignoring her, she has done wee's and poo's all over the place.

Is this just her having a paddy because she wants to be in with us, Or is it because she is totaly freaked out by being on her own?

Meeka is happy the rest of the time, she will take herself outside and not come in for 20 minutes she thinks she is by herself though we do keep a close eye on her as it has become her main goal in life to dig up my blackcurrant bush.

What should I do?? Ignore it ?? :confused:

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

shes probably doing it because shes anxious because she cant see you, a lot of puppies get very stressed when left alone but Sibes in particular need companionship they are very much a pack animal.

& good luck with the digging! mine dug up all the plants & the lawn:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice