Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Siberian Husky not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Suzy411, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Suzy411

Suzy411 PetForums Newbie

hi all

My Siberian Husky has always been a fussy eater but lately, she's turning her nose up at pretty much everything. She has never wanted wet food and has been fussy about dry. I've tried everything.

She can usually be found scavaging our food or trying to get food out of the bin but leaves her food when you put it down for her.

She looks underweight and although still bounces around like a kangaroo, it worries me she's not getting enough to eat.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do you give her any treats or other extras?

If she begs when you're eating, do you give her any of your food?

3. Suzy411

Suzy411 PetForums Newbie

Yes she has treats and she has some of our food.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Firstly, if your Vet is happy with her and she has no medical conditions which could cause loss of appetite, then I would stop giving her treats and certainly don't give her any of your food.

Dogs can be smart and, if she prefers what you eat, (which a lot of dogs do), she could well be leaving her own food in favour of yours.

I would choose a food for her, put it down for her in a morning and give her fifteen minutes. If she doesn't eat, take it away and repeat the process for her evening meal.

In the meantime, give her no tidbits.

When the penny drops with her that her only option is her own meal, she will begin to eat, although it may take a little while for her to get the message.

Sairy, MiffyMoo, Mccjen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Suzy411

Suzy411 PetForums Newbie

How long do I give it? I worry she will become further underweight

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would stop giving treats and titbits. It took about a week for my lurcher to realise I was stopping that as he was being a pain (my fault!). He only gets food in his bowl.

Neither would I want a battle over food so I would also tweak meals to make them more desirable by adding a little bit of cooked meat and veg and just leave it down.
    I tend to take the line of least resistance ;)

I'm dog sitting a finicky, elderly Greyhound at the moment with health issues and who can't afford to drop any weight so I'm doing whatever it takes to keep her eating. It's helping having my lurcher around too cos she seems to want his dinner and he's happy to eat hers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice