Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Siberian husky can anyone help asap please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Danielle Kennedy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Danielle Kennedy

Danielle Kennedy PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm getting really worried i have a female husky who is 13 months old and will hardly eat? I think it's down to me spoiling her and giving her to much choice! I have tried the she will eat when she's hungry for 3 days and she literally ate no more than a handful. She loves her veg like carrots and sweet peppers Brussel sprouts etc! But again keeps only when she feels like eating them. (I had a male husky for 10 years and had no problems with him) she's on barking heads biscuits but again will only eat a little. She isn't ill as she will happily eat a dog chews/bones. I think I'm giving her to much choice and she's become spoilt. I try her with chicken, boiled mince,lambs liver etc and she will eat tiny bits of them she now hates wet dog food! As i said she will happily eat dog chews/bones and is healthy. Sometimes i hear her wake up about 4am and eat all her food in the bowl but then that's very rare she does that. I heard that huskies will only eat as much as they burn off the calories which i don't know if it's true as my last husky i had no eating problems with. Sorry for the long message I'm just getting worried. She's not really thin but she's slim and needs to put some weight on. Thank you for reading this.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Do you leave food down constantly to graze on, if you do that might not be helping I would try feeding twice a day at set times which is what have have done with all six I have owned over the years. Siberian Huskies don't need the amount of dog food other dogs do for their weight and size that much is true, and often the amount on commercial dog food tins and bags stated for a dog their size and weight is too much and over feeding can tend to give them the squits.

I would perhaps cut out all other extras like chews and other treats and put food down twice daily. I have a fussy one and how I got round the problem with her was to have several things she likes and will eat and rotate them. She has either Natures Menu country hunter superfood crunch either venison or rabbit
    which has a freeze dried raw meat component and a baked component, or JWB duck or lamb for breakfast, and for evening meals I rotate raw, home made, and Natures menu original tins. All these things she will eat with enthusiasm but not if I feed one constantly non stop, but with the variety and change she seems to continue to eat well. There are some foods she wont eat at all Like the country hunter tinned range and she wouldn't even try that. It was a matter of finding ones she did like and keep it interesting. Some people would probably say buy one and stick to it and hard luck they will eat it in the end, however I found she was going without, I was getting stressed too and at least this way job done, she eats and enjoys it and I don't get stressed out, or food doesn't get waster either.

If she has been worse recently in the hot weather is may be best to feed her very early morning when its coolest and later on in the evening when its cooled down too, mine are not eating until later in the evening at the moment, and they have breakfast around 6am before it starts to get hotter.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice