Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Siamese and oriental

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by trish1200, Mar 24, 2008.

1. trish1200

trish1200 PetForums Senior

I really want to get an Oriental shorthair or siamese cat, i just love this breed.
    I've been researching about them and everywhere it says that they shoud not be left on their own for too long, which i understand because they get very attached to people.......but how long is too long???? a normal working day, is that too long for this breed?:confused:

2. cats4eva

cats4eva PetForums Senior

No-one can help if they are working full time and would like a breed of this type...however I would always say to someone that is out of the home most of the day working is to have 2 so they aren't on their own...If you can not afford 2 pedigrees you can always get a moggy the same age so they have each other until you get home and give them lots and lots of love & attention.xx

3. trish1200

I've just persuaded my boyfriend to get us one, i don't think he would be happy to have two cats in a one bedroom flat. I would love to have two :)

4. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

To be honest if you have one ,one more doesnt make much difference.Its nice for them to have company of the feline variety as well as you.And it will be twice the fun! work a bit harder on the other half im sure you can talk him round!!:D

5. trish1200

:D Yes, i guess i can try;)

6. AJ

AJ Guest

We have two and they're hilarious when together! Much better than the TV! :)

7. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Thats what we say about our kittens id much rather watch them than tv!!:D

8. trish1200

But they're so expensive :(

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

They will soon get used to the idea of sleeping when you're out. Cats sleep up to 18 hours a day! I agree, two are fun - and you've got a lap each after all!

10. trish1200

Does anyone know any breeders close to London?

11. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

maybe you could get one pedigree and a moggy? or look for older cats? you could buy a couple of ex-breeding queens looking for a quieter life.Contact a breeder and tell them what you are looking for,these can make good pets and have years left in them!or if you really would like babies start saving now!:)

12. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

There are a couple of breeders on this site that i know of im sure they will see your thread and contact you.good luck.:)

13. trish1200

Yes, i would rather have a kitten:)

14. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

You do realise or rather does your oh know that Ori's and Siamese are very,very lively thru the night trish:)And they talk a lot and fully expect lots of conversation back,they are not well they are totally different to moggie's in that both these breeds are lively characters in every way:)That said only because if you haven't experienced life with either of these breeds in can be a bit of a shock to the system-but me personally wouldn't have them any other way:D When you look on sites click on the links buttons and it will take you to other breeders where you will i'm sure find some nearer to you:)

15. trish1200

That's what i like about them:D. I've been thinking about getting a cat for a while and been doing my homework about finding the right one...and just felt in love with the orientals and siamese...I've been watching the most funny videos on youtube, i love they way they talk:D

My boyfriend likes that about them too, they've got the most unusual voice :)

When you say lively thru the night do you mean when you're trying to sleep?

16. Siamese Kelly

Sleep:eek:Whats that:D:DYes thats exactly when they "tazzy"-go bloody mental:D:DSo i hope your both nocturnal:D:D

17. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

lively through the night means the cat says 'hello, I'd like to play now! or I'm here why are your eyes closed, how can I make them open' Orientals don't retract their claws so can be 'noisy' on some floorings. I've had a couple of oriental crosses and they've both been really talkative. The one I have now has no teeth and is blind in one eye, he's about 14ish or so and every night once I'm in bed he'll start chatting away on the landing just out of view, then he comes in and jumps on me (I know he's looking to see if my eyes are open or not) if I lay still for long enough he now gets bored and leaves, when he was a youngster he'd prod me with his paws on my face, or he'd start padding on me to get me to look at him. They can be funny, he always sounds like he's saying 'me out!' when he's in his carrier and he says meeeeelk when he's looking at the fridge. He's definately a person cat, frets if I'm out for too long, then has to claim my knee for the rest of the evening to make up for it. I had his litter brother who was black and even louder than he is, his brother has since passed away and the cat really was sad to the point of me getting him a kitten to look after he made such a good mum totally besotted with the kitten (btw the kitten is now 10), lol.

18. trish1200

ohhhhhhh every night? adult cats as well?

19. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

yep, every night, luckily I'm a night owl and don't need too much sleep. When I had both him and his litter brother their fav game was climbing under the duvet and attacking my feet at about 3am. I stopped them by placing them into the kitchen for a few weeks at night, they shouted through the door, and just closing my door wasn't working as they could swing on the handle and open it or they'd just rip at the carpet, the kitchen had a hard tiled floor so they didn't do much damage. They had their beds and tray in the kitchen so they were comfy, but I'd hear them clonking around on the work surface, or trying to open cupboards! Which my one still does now (he knows where the food is and if he thinks he should have some he opens the door and my 19 year old cat opens the tin that the dry cat food is in, lol, I'm not sure how he eats it with no teeth though, but he's got really hard gums as he's 'bitten' me a couple of times when he's had to have his wormmers, it didn't half hurt.

20. Siamese Kelly

Pretty much trish:D
    Katherna-made me laugh when you said about he waits for your eyes but now gets bored,our late stud boy(Siamese) used to sit on my head and wait and wait and wait and never got bored and if he didn't catch me peeping back at him,would "groom" my eyelashes or eyebrows as in "You will wake up and play" or get somewhere high enough,shake his bum and dive on my head:D:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice