Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shy sharpie puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Barsha, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Barsha

Barsha PetForums Newbie

Hi, everyone.
    I've got a sharpie who's going to turn 6 months on 29th of this month. I got him for Christmas when he was 15 weeks old. I've never had a dog before so I researched a lot about shar pies. Being independent and sturbbon, folks say they're not suitable for 1st time dog owners but I've been trying to do everything correctly for him. He's a very smart dogs. He learned basic training "sit" and "down" with 10 minutes. We've very strict rules for him in our flat and he's very much aware of that. We house trained him within a week. Everything seemed perfect until i noticed he's very shy around strangers when I walk him on the streets. I've been taking him to the park since he was all vaccined. I go to park 3 times a day and there's always dogs there! He loves dogs and want to play with them all the time but he's very shy with the owners of those dogs. When I walk him and when he sees folks, he panicks. He'd stand still when he sees folks on other side of the street. When someone tries to pat him, he wants to run away. He's a shar pie and i thought it's only his proctective instict. I don't want to force my puppy to be friendly with every person he sees but I also don't want him to run away or panicks. I never comfort him when he panickes but walk normally. sometimes I can't even walk 20 seconds without him not stopping because he sees people! I really don't know what to do. Should I get a professional help or Is it Normal for puppies at this ages?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You have a combination of two things here. Firstly he is still young and puppies go through various fear stages before they are adults. It's highly likely that he is going through one now. Secondly he is a Shar Pei who tend to be an aloof breed and make their own choices as to whether they will be friendly or not to people.
    Rather then forcing him to interact with people and perhaps making him more likely to react poorly to strangers when he is older, try and distract him to look at you and ignore the passerbys. Have some very tasty treats to get his attention onto you and reward when he isn't looking at the passerbys and has his attention on you.

@Magyarmum has a Shar Pei so hopefully she will see that I have tagged her and will give you the benefit of her wisdom

Muttly and Twiggy like this.
  3. danielled

danielled Guest

You mean he will be 6 months old on 28th of this month, 29th feb doesn't exist this year. Or he will be 6 months old on 1st of march.Hopefully our resident sharpei owner will see this.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

It would help if you stop people trying to pat him . if you let them do that , you're reinforcing his behaviour and feelings of panic.

Muttly and danielled like this.
  5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's not "normal" of a confident puppy, no. I would expect a breed like this to be aloof to strangers but not necessarily panic every time someone comes into view. It is nerves not a protective instinct.

If you are able to it's always a brilliant idea to get in person help from a professional trainer or behaviourist, someone may offer recommendations if you state your location. Sometimes even the smallest of subtleties in your handling can make big differences to a dogs behaviour, but it's not always immediately obvious until it's pointed out by someone who knows what they are talking about.

For now, I'd stop putting him in the position where he's able to practice his fears or at least minimise it. Clearly you cannot avoid seeing people, but you can avoid taking him to the park three times a day and have people trying to touch him. It's actually not ideal for him to get into the habit of taking him to the park and having a free-for-all with other dogs anyway. A playful puppy is 'cute', but when that playful puppy gets to adulthood and is bogging off to 'play' with every dog it see's as that's what it's been acclimatised to to isn't so cute ;)

Jenny Olley and Magyarmum like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As others have said, it's a breed trait to be aloof and uninterested in strangers, but nervousness is a problem. You need to stop people from touching him, he's not their property to touch and manhandle as they wish. When you see a stranger you need to feed him really yummy treats so he starts to associate seeing people with the feeling of happiness he gets with food. My Shar pei x doesn't like strangers touching her either and will shy away from hands reaching towards her, so I would say that it is fairly normal for the breed to not want random people touching them - hey, I don't want random strangers touching me either!!

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Also most people seem to want to pat/stroke dogs on the top of the head, most dogs don't like that, even my very people friendly dog hates to see a hand come out above her and try to pat her. She usually dodges to one side and I've had people ask if she is nervous. No she just doenst like a strangers hand suddenly appear and plonk itself on top of her head where she can't see what they are up to.

Muttly likes this.
  8. danielled

danielled Guest

Buddy doesn't like that either, don't blame him.

9. Barsha

Barsha PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your suggestions. He's not too bad during day times but during night time, he's a nightmare. I've been training him while I take him for a walk however me and my partner have decided to get a trainer, can't afford to take a risk with our boy :).

10. Barsha

Barsha PetForums Newbie

Hiya, he will be 6 months on 1/03/17. I didn't notice this is feburary hehe

11. Barsha

Barsha PetForums Newbie

I actually don't let folks pat him or when they try, he does not let them touch him at all. We sometimes take him to pubs an surprisely he's amazing there. He goes around and smells folks but again don't let anyone touch him. It's only when we walk and when he see folks, he wants to run away or try to hide from them.

kimthecat likes this.
  12. Barsha

Barsha PetForums Newbie

Hiya, thanks for your suggestion. :) since you've a shar pei I've got some questions for you. My shar pei, today turned 6 months old and his tongue is slightly purplish but mostly pink. He's a pedigree and registered breed. How's your dogs tongue? You think it's going to change or will stay like it and won't get any darker?

13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Hi Barsha. First may I apologise for not answering your previous query.

I also have a pedigree FCI registered Shar-Pei, she's my second one.. Basically a Shar-Pei tongue should be all one colour which can range from a pale lavender to black. Generally speaking it depends on the colour of their fur, the darker the coat, the darker the tongue. Georgina, my present Pei.is an Isabella Dilute (cream) and her tongue is a pale lavender. My previous Pei was sable and her tongue was much darker but not what you'd consider black. I think I'm correct in saying that Pei with pigmented tongues are disqualified from being shown because it's considered a fault.

Georgina's now 3.5 years and to be honest I've never taken much notice about whether her tongue's got darker with age. So long as she's healthy and happy that's all that really matters. .

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Hi, yes pei have dark tongues but range in colour. My girl has a fairly dark tongue and I don't think has changed colour at all over the years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice