Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shrimp - What the heck is it?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium Galleries' started by Dibblersan, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Dibblersan

Dibblersan PetForums Newbie

Hi Again all,

Looking for some shirmp identification help.

I bought some ghost/glass shrimp. I've had them before, and I know it's a generic name for several different types of shrimp, but they've never grown all that big, and they give the tank charactor.

One of the one's I had about 6 months ago now... well... he's different.

For one thing, he's huge, and for a second, he's got claws - really, really big ones.

The rest that I got at the same time seem fine. No infighting. No suspicious reduction in numbers.

So. It's a 400L temperate, freshwater aquarium.

The claws are about 3 inches long - give or take half an inch - giving the thing a span of about 6 or 7 inches.

It does not seem at all agressive or interested in fish - even the really small minows.

Pictures hopefully attached but sorry about the poor quality - taking pictures through water is not a strong point of mine and he rarely comes out to say hi.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwiy47fu7c7qll2/U8qj5_5tZf

I did think he might be a red clawed shrimp, but he's bigger than the discriptions say, and no red claws. They're black...

Any advice appriciated.

2. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Was going to say the same :eek: :D

3. mezzer

mezzer PetForums VIP

Looks like a lobster to me,

no seriously it looks like a red claw macro

Attached Files:

4. Dibblersan

Dibblersan PetForums Newbie

Hi Both.

It is a little unexpected. I did think it might be a red claw, but everything I read said they were redish/brown and had red claws. This one's basically black or grey.

Also, how to do size shrimp? is it the size of the body or the total length to the end of the 'nose' or claws?

Either way, i'm happy it's not eating my fish, but is there anything you'd recommend me changing in the environment to make him happier?

My tank is already alkaline (plenty of bog wood) and i've got some scrappy plants that i replace periodically. plenty of hiding places, and some other little shrimp (that don't seem to have claws) that he doesn't seem interested in, but that run and hide from him when they can.

Thanks for any advice/helping make sure all my fishy/water based friends are happy.

5. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

It really just looks like a standard river shrimp to me but I really can't make out much from the pictures - sorry :blushing: I know that I've had them get quite big in the past but 3 inch claws does sound huge!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice