Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Showing and Kennel Names

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by babycham2002, Apr 19, 2011.

1. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Wanted to put here as there is more viewers hope that is ok.

Would you as a person that owns a show dog, intending to buy another show dog(s) but not intending to breed apply for your own affix?

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I havent but then I spose its different as I handle for mum, and her affix is added. If I wasnt involved with mum and was more in your situation then yes I would think about it - as I think its nice, although I guess it makes no difference either way does it.
    I know a few people that have got affix' just to add to their show dogs, not ever wanting to breed on from them - some years down the line did breed some didnt!

You going to look into getting one :D

3. babycham2002

I honestly dont know, I kind of like the idea and can think of a couple I like. But its a lot of money and would people notice the suffix so much anyway. Hmmmmm.
    Now ive gotta be careful how I word this because you know how much I like Percy's breeders and are very thankful to them but I kind of like the idea of being seperate from them, they bred him and he is fab but I train and handle him if that makes sense and it'd be nice if that was obvious in his name.

4. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

well exaclty I totally understand that - its nice to have them linked to you, after all its you that carries on with the hard work and showing of him! Although like you say it can be a wee bit expensive - I personally think it doesnt matter either way - but it is a nice little something. :):)

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

personally no, don't like giving KC anymore money than i have too,

6. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Yes, that's what I did originally, it's nice to have your own showring identity and if you do go on to breed, at least your kennel name has been around for a while. An additional bonus is that if you have sufficient dogs and an affix you can go on a food manufacturers breeder scheme and get discounted food.

7. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

I thought if a dog was already regsitered by the breeder you couldn't change its name? And that your kennel name could only be used on dogs that are bred and regsitered by the holder of the kennel name?

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

You can add your kennel name onto the end of the dogs registered name

Change of name of a registered dog - addition of a Kennel Name

Once your Kennel Name has been approved and granted, you can apply to add your Kennel Name to a existing dogs name in your registered ownership, providing a name change has not already taken place, or the dog is not published in the Stud Book.

To add your Kennel Name the dogs would need to be in the same registered ownership as the Kennel Name.

9. babycham2002

Thanks guys and gals for your input, I will continue to give it some thought.

You can add your affix as a suffix So for example
    my CC would become
    Annamac (breeders affix) Perseus (his kc name)at or of etc Piglet(my affix)

Ps Piglet was the first thing I could think of :lol:

10. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Go for it - it helps to establish your identity as an exhibitor and as a judge . Later on , if you think of breeding, your kennel name will already be well known within your breed which certainly helps when finding the right homes for your pups .

11. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

just remember that you may not get the affix that you want...the kc will ask you to give them 5 or 6 names and they will decide which one you get to use...think the one they gave us about the 4th on our list...

#11 ridgeback05, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  12. babycham2002

Thanks,when you put it like that it seems obvious to do it!! :001_smile:

I know :eek:, will have to start noting them down and seeing what I like. Get a strong list together. In case like you say they pick the 5th or 6th

ps I liked your reason for editing :smile:

13. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Yes I would.. You may want to breed in the future even if you have a boy and stud him out you may want your name and if you want to judge then yes!

I applied for mine last week... Only put two down tho so fingers crossed I get one of them!

14. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I have a friend with 3 rotts, all from myself, she got her own affix last year and added it on all three of them. She doesnt ever plan on breeding, just wanted her own identity. :)

Took us 13 goes before we got summat the KC would let us have for our affix - twas a blooming nightmare, lol!!

15. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I applied for my kennel name as soon as I knew the bitch I was after a pup from was in whelp - at that point, I had no intention to breed - and as it happens, I haven't actually bred from that particular bitch - so yes.

A friend of mine has a number of dogs, and has recently got her affix - she hasn't added it to her dogs names yet (not for want of me nagging her :eek:) - one of her boys has sired some cracking pups, and if it was me, I would want the association with my kennel name - I guess everyone is different though :(

16. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I would definitely do it, for all the reasons already stated. :)

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

We had our affix as soon as we had Rusty but as the affix was done in joint names, we had to change the dogs ownership into joint names too which cost extra :rolleyes:

When we did our application, we had made a list of names that we liked and got it down to just 3 that we really liked and put them in the order that we liked them. Instead of giving the KC choices, we just applied online giving the one name so that at least if we couldn't have it, we could then go through the names in our order of preference. Before doing the application, we checked using the name checker tool if there would be any conflict using the affix as a name ;) and we got our first choice :)

18. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

It's worth doing this, but it doesn't guarantee you will get your first name, you were very lucky. The KC also looks at phonetic links between names - ours (having done the same as you) were rejected on that very basis.

The name we were then awarded was withdrawn from us after publication in the gazette as it was already owned by someone, and had been completely missed :(

I've had the same problem with puppy names, they clear the tool checker and then are rejected because of phonetic links to KENNEL NAMES and similar kennel names containing all or part of one or more words :(

So as I said, worth doing, but don't bank on everyone being as lucky :(

19. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I would hunni :D xx

20. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

It's fun thinking of a name too!!! i got my first choice.

What about breaking down all the dogs names?

red, willow, percy

Percwillred
    Willredperc
    Redwillperc

or

Willvick
    Percvick
    Vickwillprec

An Afiix doesn't have to make sense to people but it's speical to you xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice