Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

show prep

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by sharon_gurney, Mar 27, 2011.

1. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Just to hijack this a little, I've always been led to believe that white fleece blankets are the only thing supposed to be used at shows, and no sewed up bases are allowed, yet many of you seem to use them. Haven't there ever been any issues?

How do you arrange the blankets in the pens for your cats? Up until now, I've just folded a double thickness fleece along the left side of the pen, but the litter in the back at the right, and then used the remaining space for food and water, but I've recently been told that food and water should go at the back with the litter, as folks have been known to drug this when passing by, and the blanket should be at the front. My main concern here is if my cat decides she wants to hunker down in the back of the pen. She'll then be in the litter, which isn't great. If she's close to the front, you also have the touching issue when the public come in. Some people say they make nests for their cats, but I haven't a clue how to make one of these. Any suggestions about nests/pen set up? What tends to work?

2. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I only use blankets for show, they have no purpose for me, sometimes my cats lie on them as i have them folded to make a wee 'cushion'.

I use green-backed vetbed for cold shows, and hand made white bases with cotton covers for the warmer shows.

I have never had any trouble at all no.

I also use rainbow silica litter at shows, i think it looks really pretty :)

As long as everything is white it's fine.

Water always goes on the back wall, but i put my food at the front. Drugging? omg what shows do you go to?! :eek:

I always put up a 'don't touch' sign, but i'm sure the odd person does touch still :rolleyes::

Since i started showing, i haven't felt the need to check what others were doing etc, i just did what i thought suited my cats comfort best, with a good look too!! :D

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

put ya food and water at the back, trust no one, drugging can and does happen

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I will be doing this as I've been told about this happening. Can't believe nobody else pointed it out to me at the two shows I've been at. What's happened to folks looking out for each other? At my first show i didn't know how to tip the ears at all either, and despite asking people in the pens around me, nobody would help. I ended up being quite lucky. Was tearing up at the idea of this being my first show and my cat most likely losing because of my poor preparation and I didn't realise I was right by a cat club stall. That lady dropped everything and ran like crazy to do what she could for me. It's sad that you need to look so far afield for help though!

5. Steverags

Steverags International Man of Mystery

We don't make nests, if you make one then the cats hide and people can't see them and judges can find it difficult getting the cats out.

6. alisondalziel

I was told at the beginning to remove all the hair from inside the ears, i never knew if this was correct, so never did it!!!

Still don't do it now, but i do do the tips :)

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Steve, I thought this might be the case, but also wondered if it would make the cat more secure. Do yours tend to sit in their trays? I see so many do that at shows and it breaks my heart to think that they're upset enough that they favour the security of a litter tray over a warm blanket. I don't want that at all for my girl.
    Alison, any chance you could explain exactly how you remove the tips? I have a fair idea of how to do it now anyway, and have had some verbal description from a breeder friend, but want to make sure I'm getting it right. I love my Persian, but boy is it hard work getting her ready! Her body is a tiny bit patchy too, and due to me not being able to see, it's been a nightmare trying to pluck out the darker hairs. I think I'm getting help with that this time, so would like to do the ears propperly and have her lookign her best. It's so sad to admit, but I want that "excellently groomed" comment from the judges!

Thanks to all of you who have answered the question, and so sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

8. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I have heard of exhibitors who pluck the hairs out of the tips of their cats ears to make them look more rounded in appearance. I never have and refuse to do it, but still get positive comments regarding presentation. My cats have nails cut, ears, eyes and bottoms cleaned with water and a good brush but that is all. I suspect they would claw my eyesout if I started plucking hairs out of them :tongue_smilie:

9. alisondalziel

My cats have so far been really relaxed at shows, i don't feel they need any extra security.

They have been found lying in their litter trays, but i just swiftly lift them out, say 'no' and move it over to the opposite side :)

I have British so it's quite easy doing the tips, i just get tweezers and quickly pluck out the longer hairs at the tips of the ears, making them look rounder and more tidy :)

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Ah, I know some exhibitors remove the hairs with their fingers.

Thanks for the tips though!

11. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Mine sometimes sleep in their litter trays. But it's not a security thing. Sometimes the show halls get a bit warm and a Brit's coat is so dense that it's the coolest place for them! :)

They find sleeping on the blanket too toasty. On those occasions, I just fold it up to one side so that they can lay directly on the pen base.

Problem with cats is they'll just sit where they want, regardless of the effort you've put into making their pen comfy and grooming their coats! :)

12. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your help. I got confirmation of my entries today and all my new white stuff has arrived, so ready and rearing to go.

As for the drugging comments, when I was chatting to a lady at the Preston show she said exactly the same about putting bowls at the back as there has been times when cats have been poisoned with anti freeze and paracetamol.

I was astounded to say the least

13. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It's sad but some people can be very nasty and bitter. Don't let it ruin your day though. :)

14. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I have to say, I go to shows with my mum so there is always one of us by the cats - I have seen a couple people let cats out of their pens and one even squirted green ink on a white cat!

thankfully though 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the people I have met at shows have been absolutely super and there becauuse they adore their cats and don't reallly give a monkeys what place they come

all cat owners know... no matter *what* the judge thinks... *they* are the ones going home with the true 'Best In Show'

15. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

love this and couldnt have said it better:D

16. Steverags

Steverags International Man of Mystery

They sit in their litter trays because it is cooler for them, if they are sitting at the back of the penn looking scared then I would worry they are a little stressed, but for first timers I would expect them too be scared, we have shown Bobby (retiring at the Essex show on the 9th) for 9 years and in all that time he's laid in his litter tray :eek:

17. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I've seen them do this in winter too though, when the halls have been no warmer than my house, even when packed with people. I'm gonna try her with the blanket in the front as suggested, but I think I'll swap things if she heads for her tray. Wouldn't the coolest place for them be on the pen base itself though?

18. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

I always take a freezer 'block' for Alfie - even in the winter. I've unpicked one side of a single blanket and I pop it inside so its completely covered. I've learnt now to put it under the litter tray because he will lay in it regardless! To stop him getting litter all stuck in his coat I put a couple of pieces of plain white kitchen towel in the tray over the litter

19. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

Got my confirmation back today, will be one of my girls first adult show. Looking forward to it and meeting up with people from here too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice