Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

show prep

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by sharon_gurney, Mar 27, 2011.

1. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Hi all

Ive just been along to have a look around my first show and have decided to enter Rex in to his first show.

I am just filling in my entry forms and reading rules etc, and just had a minor flap...

Vaccinations! the rules say to be vaccinated against Fei, Fvr, Fcv. I have just checked Rex's vaccinations, he has had Tricat Trio.

Can anyone tell me if this covers everything I need as need to send entries off today.

thanks for the help

2. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

if your vaccines are recent hes covered

3. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

Yes that will cover him, providing they were administered within 1 year of the show date. And don't forget to take the certificate along!

Good luck at your first show. Trying to remember everything is done is a bit of a stressor so I have a checkist of things to pack and do before ech show which is helpful.a

Just ask if you need any advice :)

4. sharon_gurney

thanks for that.

Ive ordered my white bowls and litter tray etc and just tried going along to local stores for a white fleecey blanket,

now that was stressful! could I find a plain white fleece anywhere?... no I could not. Loads of Cream ones or white ones with flippin bunny rabbits on, I think I actually lost the will to live.

Am I being over the top? its just went to the Preston show and the hall was really cold and Rex is used to living on the radiator!!:rolleyes::

Also just wondering what do you all do all day when at a show? there seems to be a lot of hanging around:confused:

5. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I ordered all my show bits from here:

Living with Pets

They sell small & large white show blankets. I also use a white vet bed for extra comfort. Some show halls can be stifling hot and it is always a bit warm for my British but when I go round the hall I notice some of the oriental cats are often hidden under blankets. Not sure if it is because they are cold or just shy!

Yes the show days are long. I tend to either go shopping or for a walk during the morning when the Open Clas judging takes place. Many other exhibitors stay at the venue, have breakfast and meet old friends. Once the show opens for public entry I return and spend most of my time by my cats pens, chatting to others and speaking to the public who are often interested in knowing all about your cat. I can talk for hours about them, so it passes time. I also try and get round and see all the other cats and of course, people off PF who may also be there :) The days are very long though and I am often up at 5 am and may not get home until 8pm, so some stamina is needed. There are times when I do get a bit bored I have to admit and I am not keen on crowds and the confined environment can get on my nerves, so i will take breaks to go for a walk outside, have a coffe etc. Some people will take books, knitting crosswords etc to pass the time.

Remember that you can not leave early. If you do your awards are taken away. If they did let people leave early then everyone would leave by 2pm and there would be no cats for the public entrants to see!

Hope that helps. Where is your first show?

6. sharon_gurney

Its Urmston, Manchester.

Ive sent entries today, its closing date on 30th so hope Ive done it in time. Bit of a last min decision so hope I get in.

So if anyone want to come over on the day and say hello... Im the nervous cluless wreck in ther corner;)

7. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

i would reccommend getting cotton covers for your cat to lie on rather than fleece.. you might find with fleece he could get a bit too warm and sweat... making the fur not very nice looking..

8. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

You can buy a microwave head pad and wrap in white blanket and put in the pen if you think he'll be cold. Remember the show is in May so will be warmer then and some halls are SO hot and others really cold. You will get in, they often keep entries open past closing date.

9. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Hiya,

Showing is not for everyone but i love it!!

My first couple to be honest i found really boring,but it gets better. You get to know people so you always have someone to chat to.

I always take a packed lunch with tons in it lol,it is a long day.

Forgetting most things isn't a problem as most things are for sale at the show, but DO NOT forget the vaccination certificate!!

I tend to help out now as it makes the day go by much quicker!

I find vet-bed too hot for April - August shows, the hall can get really hot! A lot of people use battery operated fans to help cool their cats.

For warm shows i use hand-made pen bases with white cotton covers, i always use a small fleece blanket but to be honest i only use it because i arrange it to look nice.

No need to be worried, i'm sure you will do fine :D

10. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Good luck in your first show and should you need any help then plz just ask, most members in here that show their cats are more than willing to help. To answer the last part of your question, yes its a very long and tiring day and you will be surprised how tired you feel when you get home after doing not a lot all day lol, There are always the trade stands to have a browse around but even they get a bit much after the second or third lap.As for the white blankets well we use cotton sheets as its surprising how warm it gets inside these halls and at most shows we end up putting a fan onto the pens to keep the cats cooler. good luck in your shows, i hope you do enjoy them , best wishes.........Chris

11. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

your siamese won't want a fan. on hot days mine just stretch out a bit but don't over heat, they like the heat, well, mine do. just make sure there is always water topped up if needed

12. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

ask for a show buddy.. thats how we got started..

13. sharon_gurney

A show buddy sounds a great idea. Anyone volunteering:D

14. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

hi what date is the show on wanted to go to a show but missed the last couple with one thing or another and good luck :)

15. sharon_gurney

Its on 7th May.

Ive got another question... Iver read that I need white cat litter, but when I went to observe the other day, im sure id seen people using different sorts and colours????

16. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

thanks :) sure someone will be along that nos about the cat litter :001_smile:

17. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

Some people do use other litter so i've seen myself but I always use catsan for shows.

18. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

I will be at the with two birmans, so if you want a show buddy i'd be happy to help even if I do not know much about your breed but I do know a bit about showing.

#18 Donskie, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. sharon_gurney

Donskie, that would be great. Thanks for the offer its really appreciated. Will be nice to meet some faces from here and have a chat:D

20. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

You can use any type or colour of cat litter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice