UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to my first show and I have mixed feelings about (most) folks there... I just can't decide, there's something that bothers me about them. Most of them don't see particularly nice or likeable..? There's just a strange vibe to them, and here I was thinking everyone is into showing or breeding for the love of cats... I hope anyone has a hinch as to what I'm on about - I'm on my phone but I'll explain what I mean in more detail later

·
International Man of Mystery
1,229 Posts
Most people at shows are great, it's a good social gathering, you get the odd one or two that are just a bit too competetive.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I've never been to a cat show but sometimes there are different vibes at dog shows. You can feel the tension at some of them.
Try another before judging I'd say :)

G

·
I know what you mean. There are some lovely people there but there are a lot who appear to see wins as a reflection of themselves and are insanely competitive and obsessed with everything and then there are the anthropomorphic nutters, and then there is the delight in gossip and schadenfreude. Dog and cat... want nothing to do with it.

To the genuine dog lovers who really strive to breed the best and campaign them, I don't know how they can keep going back.

I think the obedience, etc people are mostly very different.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Don't know about the dog shows but there's a fair mix of folks at the cat shows and some of them are not very nice at all and some of them are just plain nuts. However, once you have been to a few, you'll soon fall in with some like minded people who are there for the fun!!

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Don't know about the dog shows but there's a fair mix of folks at the cat shows and some of them are not very nice at all and some of them are just plain nuts. However, once you have been to a few, you'll soon fall in with some like minded people who are there for the fun!!
no different to dog showing then :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
That's life, I'm afraid!! ;)

There will always be those who seek to bring others down, it seems to be a strange sort of motivation for them, and I guess cat shows are no different.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ive met some great people at cat shows but yes sadly there are some unpleasant people too who really hate losing, and funnily it depends what breed of cat you are showing too, i never had any funny people when i was showing maine coons (dont know what it is like now though as havent shown MC's for around 10 years now) i show NFC now and well.....yes plenty of funny people.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
go to the pet section of a show.. we are the friendliest....:D

there will always be a minority of show folk that take it too seriously..

at the notts/derby this year.. one woman was heared to say that a cat did not deserve to be in for best in show..:glare:

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
How can you have a "general impression"? People are all different.
Everybody I have met have been lovely, so helpful! I have heard some less than nice stories from others but you get that anywhere.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
go to the pet section of a show.. we are the friendliest....:D

there will always be a minority of show folk that take it too seriously..

at the notts/derby this year.. one woman was heared to say that a cat did not deserve to be in for best in show..:glare:
I have heard some classics - one owner who was ranting and raving cos the award had been withheld even though they "had got up at 3am to get here!", obviously the earlier you get up, the more likely you should be to win!!

But, I now know a nice group of people and whilst we all like our cats to do well, we take all the results in the right spirit as some Saturdays it will be your day, some it won't but it can be an enjoyable day out - some of them just need to get a life (but they can be most amusing to observe!!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I found this thread a little offensive to be honest as I'm a 'show person' but I wouldn't consider myself not nice or un-likeable :(

I show for fun and enjoy it as a hobby. If we come home with a rosette at the end of the day it's the icing on the cake. At the weekend I was surrounded by raggie kitten owners and it was heaven! We were all admiring and coo-ing over each others babies and I made some new friends!

There will always be people who take it too seriously and go too far, but please don't tar us all with the same brush :nono:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I found this thread a little offensive to be honest as I'm a 'show person' but I wouldn't consider myself not nice or un-likeable :(

:
really? ive been showing cats for 20 years and im not offended by it, theres some right unpleasant people who show! maybe you just havent met them.....

i had a maine coon years ago that was pretty much unbeatable and we only had to turn up at a show and we got nasty comments from other owners whos cats were against him! and this year at a show my wegie won a grand class and was told by another owner whos cat got reserve that my cat did not deserve the grand over hers!

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
really? ive been showing cats for 20 years and im not offended by it, theres some right unpleasant people who show! maybe you just havent met them.....

i had a maine coon years ago that was pretty much unbeatable and we only had to turn up at a show and we got nasty comments from other owners whos cats were against him! and this year at a show my wegie won a grand class and was told by another owner whos cat got reserve that my cat did not deserve the grand over hers!
So pathetic isn't it!

·
Registered
6,254 Posts

I show for fun and enjoy it as a hobby. If we come home with a rosette at the end of the day it's the icing on the cake. At the weekend I was surrounded by raggie kitten owners and it was heaven! We were all admiring and coo-ing over each others babies and I made some new friends!

There will always be people who take it too seriously and go too far, but please don't tar us all with the same brush :nono:
really.................... . i don't show cats but do show dogs. sounds like a typical dog show to me ;) its the " friends" that stab you in the back after you've won a big award that you have to be careful of the most!

btw op didn't say all said MOST :)

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,469 Posts
really.................... . i don't show cats but do show dogs. sounds like a typical dog show to me ;) its the " friends" that stab you in the back after you've won a big award that you have to be careful of the most!

btw op didn't say all said MOST :)
I also used to show dogs and totally agree.It was usually taken as a compliment when other exhibitors were nasty about your dogs,it meant that they saw them as competition,after all why worry about an animal you didnt see as competition ;)
It is human nature,the minute you start to compete you want to win,I dont believe anyone who says differently,some are just better at "hiding" it ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course I'm not saying that ALL show people are like that (looking back I might've should've rephrase my first post to make that clearer), but honestly I was surprised at the amount of "unlikable" people I met there. Many people warned me about those - show folks who go to a show and expect to win all the titles, who are only there for the "glory" of it, who gossip constantly, pretend they're above everyone else etc.... But I was expecting those to be rather the exception than rule and it actually turned out to be the other way around! I don't know, maybe it's just my experience...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well, I AM above most other people but only down to being over 6 feet tall!!

We've shown on this thread that there are nice, relatively normal show people out there so we ought to just regard the strange nasties as a source of entertainment for when the afternoon starts to drag!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been showing for years and there are definitely some strange people at shows! There are always some that take it too seriously and begrudge being beaten.

I've noticed it more since I've been showing Rio (Littlerags Lothario).......as he's done well and some people don't like it. Jealousy I guess :rolleyes::

Berni - I wouldn't be offended! You might have found people cooing over Darcy at the weekend, but you will probably find that it won't always be like that. Once they are no longer kittens and competing for titles, it can change.

That's why I tend to keep my head down at shows.

Don't get me wrong...........there are some lovely cat people and I have also made some great friends through showing. We're not all bad! :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I AM above most other people but only down to being over 6 feet tall!!

We've shown on this thread that there are nice, relatively normal show people out there so we ought to just regard the strange nasties as a source of entertainment for when the afternoon starts to drag!!!
Hahaha! That's very true. I do have a chuckle in the afternoons when I see a certain show-person packing up and leaving early if her cat hasn't done as well as she wanted. I've seen her throw 2nd place rosettes on the floor and stomp out. You just have to laugh!!! Some people!!! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.