UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk of rescue cats has got me thinking- why not show the world our lovely rescues? I'll start with my Spooks :001_wub:

Spooks came into rescue after not getting on with his cat friends. He was stressed to the point that he was pulling out his fur and had gone off his food. Understandably scared to be brought into the shelter he reacted by striking out at people. I went to see him with the warning that he was 'temperamental and not very friendly'.

Not to me, he wasn't!

Although I sensed his fear as I went in to see him, he was purring away and seemed relatively relaxed. There was certainly no aggression! Here he is, the first time I met him:

Well can you blame me for falling in love? I felt that him feeling relaxed showed that he 'chose' me, as silly as it may sound. I just had to convince the mother!!

It seemed inevitable that he wasn't going to be mine, until one day Mum uttered the words 'I'll come and see him tomorrow'. Well, I nearly choked on my breakfast!! I went into the shelter that morning and proudly reserved him. It's a good job, as somebody else came in that afternoon very interested in him. If I hadn't had reserved him that morning, he would have been hers! :eek:

Anyhoo, Mum came to see him and loved him. Now for the homecheck. Firstly, I failed the check. I was too near a busy road and they were reluctant to have him as an indoor cat. I was gutted. Surely, the other lady would take him now.

Having cried for the whole weekend, I picked myself up and volunteered at the shelter as normal. To my surprise, Spooks was still there. He wasn't reserved. He was available! The second reserve had fallen through!!

It was a sign. He was meant to be mine, and I was going to fight for him! Look how attached he was to me, after all:

Later that day, after fighting for him, the shelter agreed that I could foster him to see how he settled. Phew! I had a lifeline, and brought him home later that week.

I was astounded at how well he settled. Here he was on the first night:

And the next day, he happily snoozed on my knee (and he's hardly left it since!! :lol:)

To cut a long story short (sorry, I've waffled! :eek: ), a few weeks later I went into the shelter. The manager pulled me aside: 'I need to talk to you. It's about Spooks'. So much dread filled me at that point. This was it. Game over.

'Would you like to adopt him?'.

I cannot describe the joy that I felt at that moment. 'Of course I do, yes!!'. The rollercoaster was over and he was mine, at last. I cherish him everyday, knowing that it was fate, but I so nearly didn't get him:

Sorry it turned out so long, but it's a story that's worth sharing. I would never have got through this rough patch without PF, so thank you all for your support! :)

Who else has rescue cats? I'd love to hear your stories :D

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
What a lovely story:001_wub:

Ok last year I was browsing through the rescue and adoption part on here and I spotted Rosie :001_wub: straight away I loved her, she was almost identical to my first childhood cat, Charlie:001_wub:
Sooo I emailed Patsy at Rushden and made enquiries! I never dreamt I'd get her as at this point hubby hasn't said yes and she was so far away!!
Anyhow Patsy messaged me back said I sounded suitable and as long as she could speak to the vet I used then I wouldn't need a home check :)
At this point hubby still hasn't said yes :eek:
Sooo I text hubby and said we could have her subject to vet check and could I have her? He replied with yes if you want but if Oscar doesn't like her she will have to go!
I was elated and arranged to go for her on nov 6th after bonfire night! :D
Here she is with Oscar on their first intro

Oscar absolutely loved her, alas she didn't love Oscar :( every time he went near her she whacked him :( I was heartbroken cos Oscar was my baby, he really wanted to be her friend and she was like - no way!!!
They now tolorate each other, a year on but by no means best friends :( but we love her and could never part with her! She has gone from a scared little puss to a confident lion :)
Here's a rare snap of em both together :D

And here's one showing just how beautiful she is :001_wub:

Oh go on then here's another :D

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
What a handsome boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful eyes, i can see why u fell in love with him. :001_wub:

This is Princess we rescued her from Cats Protection, she is now about 13yrs old (going on what we were told when we got her).

I really wanted a black fluffy cat so when they told me about her i had to go and meet her. She was found as a stray in Exeter and came down to the countryside to a foster home. The first time i met her she was sooo timid and didnt really want to talk to people she had lost all trust in humans. I thaught she was so pritty though I still really wanted her.

My mum and dad didnt think she was the cat for me and so tryed to make me go and see some other cats but i said no. So a couple of weeks later we went back to see her again and she was in a room that she had all to herself as she didnt like the other cats in the house. We all sat down and just let her come to us in her own time (she had started to get more confident by this time). She then came out of hiding to have a look at us all then she came and sat on my lap, my heart just melted and that was that she was mine. This was the first time she had sat on anyones lap since she had been found.

She is spiolt rotten with chicken for tea, and she really thinks she is a princess. It took her a couple of years to be completly comfortable with us, but she now loves a cuddle and a tummy rub. :D

Attachments

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww, LouLatch, what a lovely story! :001_wub:

As a volunteer at a rescue centre I can honestly say I admire those who adopt the timid cats. It's wonderful to get updates from new owners showing us just how much they've come out of their shells. Well done!! :)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Aww, LouLatch, what a lovely story! :001_wub:

As a volunteer at a rescue centre I can honestly say I admire those who adopt the timid cats. It's wonderful to get updates from new owners showing us just how much they've come out of their shells. Well done!! :)
Thank you! I think every animal has the right to loving home, so im not worried about having to put a bit of work in to give thoes ones that others would just walk past a chance.

Its a wonderful thing to see an animal progress to their full potential! :)

All i ever wanted was for her to come and sit with me (it took a very long time), now i cant get rid of her! :D

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
My two came from the Cats Protection, Monty was born there to a stray cat and I think(know) he was kept in an outside pen there as he freaked when he first trod on carpet and took a lot of persuasion to walk on it. Maudey was rescued from a bad home where her and her brother were covered in fleas, her brother sadly died from being severely anaemic from where the fleas had sucked him dry :(

When they came to me they were skinny runts and had Flu/Calci and Chlamydia, but after many vet visits they got better and are the loves of my life :001_wub:

Poorly Kittens

Getting Better

All Grown Up

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my, they look so poorly in that first picture :( Thank goodness they found such an attentive, adoring slave to help them feel better. They're the picture of health now :001_wub:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lovely stories! Here's mine.. grab a cuppa :')

Okay, my friend and I had decided to go horse-riding so we tacked horse up and set off riding. About 5 minutes from the stables I was walking while friend rode the horse and we spotted this tiny black ball on the roadside.
Me been the typical animal lover went over and picked it up. The kitten was shaking and huddled in a ball, so I cuddled it and tried to find it's home. We knocked on a few doors before someone opened the door and claimed the kitten. I handed him to the gentleman but he refused to take him and said ''If you don't take it, I will drown it''
Friends dad gave me a cardboard box and said I could keep it as they weren't allowed.

I ended up taking the bus home as my mum was out shopping with a kitten in a cardboard box. I remember kitten meowing all the way home and I got off the bus at a little bus station about 3 miles from home as he was getting distressed. I text mum and told her ''get kitten food, found a kitten and it's starving''. Mum basically said ''no, take it back. we're not having a kitten''.

After an hour of sitting in a bus station with a kitten that wouldn't shut up my mum finally arrived and took us home. In the car ride home mum kept saying ''we're not keeping it, i don't like cats''.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We got home and put the box in the kitchen and let the dog smell the box, luckily she mothers everything and just licked kitten. I opened the box and mum managed to see him for the first time. This fully black kitten, no markings of any sort. Mum turned away and refused to touch him, she wouldn't let him out of the box, I think she secretly didn't want t get attached. She said ''Wait until Chris(stepdad) comes home, he'll tell you to get rid.'' but when he came home, I said to him ''Chris, something came in the post for you today.'' (he's an eBay lover) and he said ''I haven't ordered anything off eBay'' and opened it to find kitten. His reaction was instant love. He picked him up and cuddled him for half an hour before telling mum ''it's not going anywhere'' and after a few weeks of ''Get rid'' and ''Keep him'' we finally kept him. And now, he is part of the family. Even mum loves him.

And I genuinally agree, CATS ARE FANTASTIC, and once i've had one, i'll never be catless again!

WELL DONE FOR READING, HAVE SOME CATNIP
:ciappa::D:D

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I loved Spook's story too. It must be sooooo rewarding working at a cat rescue centre. I'd love to work in one but I'd get way too emotionally attached to the cats and want to take them all home with me!! :001_wub:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Oscars's Mam - I remember when you first got Rosie! I loved the videos you posted when Rosie suddenly biffed Oscar on the head. So cute poor Oscar lol! He just wanted to be "fwends". I adore the look on Rosie's face. Such a bossy expression like she means business! :001_wub:

I think that bird dangle toy helped with the intros right??

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I loved Spook's story too. It must be sooooo rewarding working at a cat rescue centre. I'd love to work in one but I'd get way too emotionally attached to the cats and want to take them all home with me!! :001_wub:
Oh, I love it, honestly! I'm mainly in with the rabbits (we have dogs, cats and rabbits), as I'm a senior rabbit advisor but I always try and make time for the kitties.

It's very emotional- you do get attached to some animals, naturally (there's a big ginger boy in at the moment who I simply adore :001_tt1:) and some of them come in the most awful states :nonod: Nursing them back to health and seeing them off to their new homes is the best feeling in the world, though :001_wub:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Oscars's Mam - I remember when you first got Rosie! I loved the videos you posted when Rosie suddenly biffed Oscar on the head. So cute poor Oscar lol! He just wanted to be "fwends". I adore the look on Rosie's face. Such a bossy expression like she means business! :001_wub:

I think that bird dangle toy helped with the intros right??
Hahahahaha yes she's a right bossy pants alright!
Yep the da bird did help :)
These days it's more the other way round though - Oscar going for her but I'm sure it's all playing :)

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
When the OH moved in, I had 3 cats. This went to 2 when my old Sluggie went off to the bridge at 17yo.

After a time, OH mentioned he wanted a cat for himself as my 2 boys were very much mummy's boys. We agreed that a girl of approx 5-6yrs would be best to fit in. The only problem was that I KNOW I could never walk around a rescue centre choosing just one cat to take home with me. So I found my way to this forum and, through here, the lovely Kelly Joy who sent me a couple of photographs of girl cats her friend had for re-homing. We both fell immediately in love with the black fluffy one - Ebony. We found out afterwards that she wasn't the 5-6yrs we'd been after but was actually only 10 mths!!! :eek: But, we were in love and said sod it, we'll have her anyway. So after a long drive to Rushden and back - yup, good ole Patsy was KJ's 'friend' - this is who we brought home:

Meet Abby....

She was, and still is, as cute as a button. BUT........... the two OAP old farts that reside at Moggy Towers - yes, Oscar & Merson - would not play with this gorgeous friendly little girl and she began to get lonely. After much discussion and thought-processing, I eventually got 'im indoors to agree to getting her a chum to play with.

So it was first stop Rushden Persian website and there he was - a luscious big fluffy black boy!!!! The perfect match for our fluffy black girl!!! Another long trip to Rushden and back, this time bringing home Salem.

Who then became McGee.....

The pairing worked a treat and, within 10 days, we had this:

So we had four cats at the Towers and all was happy.

Until one day, THIS thread appeared on the forum Cat Chat page:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/261164-please-visit-beautiful-moo-rescue-adoption-section.html

One look at the pictures of Moo Moo had me melting into a pool of drool. I showed her to the OH who agreed she was quite stunning. I kept reading the thread, and updating the OH, until one day he cracked and said "If you want her you can have her........" :yikes: :yikes: :thumbup:

So we sat down properly and had a really good chat about it and decided that we felt we could give Moo Moo the home she desperately needed. We got in touch with CCC who went mental, said yes she would love us to give Moo a home, and we agreed to visit to test out the waters.

It took us less than 1 minute to agree that we could love this beautiful girl VERY easily and that giving her a home would give us the greatest of pleasure. Most of you know the story of how that is currently working out but, just in case anyone missed this picture of her last week, this is Princess Moo Moo the First spreading her little paws around Moggy Towers and around our hearts:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Our big old ginger tom Sammy.... 1991-2008

And Charlie Choo-Choo... 1992-2005

Plus several more that I don't have digital images of. All of which are also over the bridge, but were rescue cats:
Jonesy
Melissa
Tabitha
Sparky
Moby

Ian F.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well Rex is my first cat AND a rescue cat :) We've had him about 6 weeks now and I love him to bits!

We got him from a cat rescue charity in Leigh. He had been found wandering the streets in Manchester all on his own, and had been in the shelter 9 days when we met him. He was in a block with all the tiny kittens, and with him being 4/5 months old I think he was being a little ignored.

Soon as I saw him I fell in love with him :)

When we got him home he settled in so quickly and he's always so happy to see me when I come home from work.

Some pictures....

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
All this talk of rescue cats has got me thinking- why not show the world our lovely rescues? I'll start with my Spooks :001_wub:
I LOVE Spook's story - I remember how tense it was when you were going through all of those hurdles and how outraged we all were for you when you 'failed' the homecheck.

I do think that you and Spooks were meant for each other, what a great backstory to your friendship :biggrin5:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I LOVE Spook's story - I remember how tense it was when you were going through all of those hurdles and how outraged we all were for you when you 'failed' the homecheck.

I do think that you and Spooks were meant for each other, what a great backstory to your friendship :biggrin5:
Aww, thank you! :)

It's hard to believe that I had to fight so hard for him- the sadness I felt when I failed was honestly like losing a cat all over again. Utter devastation :(

It's purely unimaginable now to have a house without Spooks in it. I can't picture it at all. He was so nearly not mine, but PF really did help me through, and I was so incredibly moved by everybody's comments when I did finally get him :001_wub:

It was meant to be, I have no doubt about it :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.