Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Show off your Rescue Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Malaguti, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

Saw this thread appear in the Dog section and thought 'whatever they can do......'

Soooo, this is not a slight on any non-rescue kitties but thought it'd be great to see the piccies and hear the stories of your rescued babies? Where did they come from? What was their story before they found their forever home with you? etc. :D

kittykat and lymorelynn like this.
  2. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

We rescued Skylar (normally shortened to Sky though!) from the RSPCA in April. I'd been unwell, and the OH and I knew I would be home for a good few months to help a cat settle in, so we decided it was a good time to look. I'd spotted this black and white cat (Skylar), with one of those post op collars on, on the RSPCA website and pointed it out to OH- his first comment was 'she looks so daft in that collar, why not!'. She had been abandoned, that's all we know about her.
    Next day my OH was at work, but some family drove me over to the RSPCA. We couldn't see Skylar when we first got there, and I wasn't as drawn to the other cats. I was feeling a bit disheartened, but thought I would ask anyway. It turns out she was in another building at the centre, so off we went to see her. She was so lovely, and so fussy! I tried to get through to the OH to ask what I should do, eventually got through and he said reserve her! So we asked to reserve her, and were told that was fine and if we passed our house check she was ours. We passed our house check, but Skylar was a bit naughty whilst still at the RSPCA and kept chewing her stitches when her collar was off so her post op wound got infected and she had to stay with the RSPCA until it cleared.
    We got her home, and she seemed so grateful to be in a house again! Within minutes she was asking for cuddles, and she's been an absolute star since! I'm sure she senses the days when I'm not feeling as well too, as she follows me around and stays by my side (even sleeping above my head on the sofa), and then when the OH gets home and looks after me she will go to sunbath upstairs! We are now keeping an eye out for a potential new friend for Sky :D

So here's a few pictures:

Attached Files:

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sky is lovely and it was great to hear her story :)
    More rescue kitty tales please :):)

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Great idea for a thread, I love hearing kitty stories! :D

Sky is lovely btw :)

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

This is my rescue cat - I found her when i was about 8 years old living in our chicken coop. I found her when I went to collect the eggs, she was about 7 weeks old and living off the chicken feed and any eggs that broke. She was completely ferral and ripped my arms to shreds when I carried her into the house. We housed her, tamed her, fed her on Weetabix with a little meat in and gradually increased the meat until she didn't need the Weetabix (it was still a favouirtie treat). She was always very wary of strangers but loveed me. At the age of 15 some b******d shot her, once in the back and once in the head, we thought she was a gonner as her legs didn't work and you could see her brain and she was leaking fluid from ears and nose. The vet said she wouldn't make the night out. 2 weeks later she was scaling the chicken run to get to cracked eggs and atthe age of 17 she died peacefully in her sleep. SHe is why I love torties SO much. Her name was Trix Weetabix (and 8 years old name choice!).

March 1987 - Trix.jpg

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Aww what a beautiful cat :)

I can't believe she survived the horrific attack! what ******'s! Life can be so cruel sometimes.

I've never heard of a cat eating weetabix though! Great name for her :)

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Dragged herself 5 miles home too on two legs - they caught the bloke, he had been shooting loads of cats and som dogs in the area - they found 22 bodies in a dried up well on his property! Sick, just sick!

8. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Hope he got more than a fine and a slap on the wrist too :cursing:
    Your Weetabix was a lovely cat. Thanks for sharing her story :)

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Oh no! thats shocking ....! Makes my blood boil thinking about that poor kitty and all the other pets that suffered! Do you know what happened to "it"?

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Prison I believe - probably a psychiatric unit

11. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

I got my two via a direct rehoming, the owner had to leave the country within a week. I had anticipated an older cat but agreed to take on a 5 month old boy and a 6 month old boy. The OH had stroked a cat about 4 times and that was it!! I had a cat before. Neither had been neutered or vaccinated so that was sorted out. They will both

Skittle is B&W tux (looks v much like Sky further up this thread). He's needy and vocal with it, and I never know whether I will have him meowing from 4am or will be able to sleep in until 7am. But so rewarding when he comes into bed for a cuddle and he's purring loudly. :)

Scooter (all black) is a teddy bear. He purrs constantly and dribbles a lot. He loves cuddles and flops down every metre or so for a tummy rub. He can walk very well on his hind legs :D

Attached Files:

#11 Number 1, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  12. Scoob

Scoob PetForums Member

We kind of 'rescued' Ivy so I'll give you her story too....

We were at the vets with our old cat and I went to have a look at the 'pets available' board as I always did when the nurse asked if we were looking for another cat. We had mentioned it a couple of times but our Bob was quite ill and stroppy (!!) so had decided it wasn't such a good idea. Then the nurse told us they had a 15 week old 3 legged kitten out the back who, if she wasn't rehomed, was going to be going to the local shelter. Our Bob only had 3 legs too so this automatically made us interested. We went out the back to see her and she was the cutest little thing in the world!!

She had been taken into the vets as a stray with her front leg hanging off, completely destroyed. They think it had actually been badly damaged about 2 weeks and, bless her, she's started to try and chew it off herself. As it turned out the vets knew of the woman who had taken her in and also knew she had 3 other kittens of the same colour and age but this woman was adamant this one was a stray so they could do nothing about it. Obviously her leg had to be removed.

We had a chat about it and decided we couldn't leave Ivy there (they'd named her Ivy as it was just before Xmas and they already had a Holly staying with them!!) so phoned them the next day to let them know that we would have her. This actually started a huge battle with one particular vet because he didn't want us to have her as he'd been treating Bob and didn't think she'd react well to having a kitten at home. Eventually, after much pleading, the surgery manager overruled him and let us take Ivy home on 31 December 2008. As it turned out Bob didn't react very well to Ivy but she also had another tumour growing on her spine and she had to be put to sleep 2 weeks later.

So, really, the rest is history....Ivy is with us and is now 9 months old, she's grown to be the sweetest, most adorable little cat and we've since got her a new friend, Baxter, who was 6 months old at the weekend although he wasn't a rescue.

I'll attach some piccies for you.......

Attached Files:

13. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

My Bootsie passed on in November - we had him 8 years, but I think he was older than we thought, as he was 3 or 4 when we got him - being a rescue cat age is doubtful!

How he came to us was quite funny really - I had/have a really mischeivious young boy - my youngest, now 11, but when he was 3 ish we went off to the local rescue to get a dog - but he screamed at the noise of the kennels, so we thought, let's get a cat!!! - Couldn't come away empty handed now could we!

So we were looking at all the cats and kittens nad my boy was being dreadful, climbing on all the hutches and dare I say it banging on the doors! - you know how little boys can be! - The lady who accompanied us did give me a few looks and there was a few comments, oh you don't want that cat, nor that one, and then we stopped at this cage that had a notice on it "I am kennel depressed and very sad" - the lady said you certainly don't want him, he doesn't responde to anyone and wasn't eating and was due to be pts the next day because he was too depressed.... so guess who comes along and jumps up at the cage, banging on the cage and saying "oi kitty!!!" - I am sorry for my son!!! - and the lady says oh he doesn't respond to anyone.

You can guess what is coming - Bootsie slowly got up from the back of the cage and came over to the door - which we opened with my jumping bean going mad to touch kitty! (I am suprised they even let us in actually) - the lady at this time was amazed and called another helper over to look at the cat that had actually responded. When the door was open Bootsie went straight to my son and nuzzled him and they were best of friends.... of course he came home with us....

My son was devastated when he passed over in November - and still has moments even now.

RIP My Bootsie

Attached Files:

14. dave2506

dave2506 PetForums Newbie

Ivy is beautiful and it's amazing how much they don't seem to miss the leg - they just seem to get on with it! There's a cat on our road with one of his back legs missing and he's so friendly. He's not very good at balancing on walls and things though and regularly seems to topple off :rolleyes:

15. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We rescued Tilly (formerly ‘Rosie’) from the RSPCA last November when she was 6 months old; we were originally looking for an older cat but once we saw her we just couldn’t resist. There were two similar tabby cats that caught our eye, only the other one was more interested in sleeping and as soon as we walked over to Tilly’s cage she was rolling around and playing and when we were allowed to stroke her she was so affectionate, me and the OH knew she was the ‘the one’ lol. She had been brought into the shelter as a stray although they think she might have had a home as a kitten and somehow got lost or been abandoned; thankfully though, they don’t think she was mistreated or harmed and she’s definitely never had any ‘issues’. She’s been no trouble from the start and seems to just take everything in her stride – 7 months on and she is still the most curious and entertaining cat I know, always wanting to be involved and be centre of attention; she gets spoilt far too much but she’s so just so lovely I don’t know what I’d do without her now! Here are some of the first pictures we took of her, making herself right at home!

P.S Great thread! Love the hear rescue stories.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      18.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  16. littlekitty

littlekitty PetForums Senior

Buddy wasn't really a rescue cat, although he did need to find a new home fairly quickly as the boy who previously owned him had to move out of his place and couldn't take any pets, so my hubby decided to adopt him. He had fleas, worms and was unneutered when he came home, but now he is very happy living with us. We got him in 2005 and he was about 7 months old when I got him.

Buddy

[​IMG]

I had decided a while back that the next cat I got would be a tortoishell, and I was looking on our local RSPCA site when I spotted a calico cat with seven kittens.
    On phoning the society about one of the kits they said they had all gone and that Mary was looking for a home. We made an appointment to view her and she didn't seem interested in me, only the cattery assistant, but despite that I fell in love with her. We asked about her background and found out that she had been found in a house over run with cats, and she had had two sets of kittens, so she obviously had been left un neutered like all the others in the house.
    When we got her home she was very very nervous and when we tried to get close to her she lashed out, hubby has still got the scar on his arm toda.
    Buddy didn't want her in his house and hissed and spat at her, but that didn't seem to bother her.
    After a few weeks I was seriously thinking of giving her back as she was very fiesty, but I decided to give her a chance. Slowly she accepted me first, but only on her terms. Hubby wouldn't go near her, fear of getting bite/scratched but she did eventually start going to him.
    All she needed was a little love and patience and she is now getting more confident everyday. She adores her "daddy" now and cuddles up beside me in bed, most nights, and when I'm sleeping she will spend time with her "daddy". He loves her to bits now and I cannot imagine life without her. She's been with us since August 2007, she was about 1-1 1/2 years old then, and I love her very much.

Mary

[​IMG]

17. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I remember you posting when you first got Ivy :) She's grown into a lovely cat :)
    RIP the lovely Bob x

18. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Another lovely story :) Bootsie looks exactly like my Gizmo

19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Some lovely cats!!!

This was Cosmic Cat she was my first 'grown up' pet! I was 23 and demanded a cat for my birthday from my then boyfriend!!:D We were living in London so I couldn't have a dog so cat was 2nd choice (sorry) we had a home check from the Cats Protection and on my very birthday I went to see a litter of cats being fostered in Acton. All the other kittens were running around full of wanting our attention but Cosmic kept to herself and I knew she was the one! I had 17 long and wonderful years with her, she travelled the country with me going from home to home, she put up with the never ending dogs that I fostered and the pack of dogs that came to live in her house. She was always proud and quiet, she rarely went outside but if she did she'd just sit and watch her kingdom. She died last August and I miss her to this day, she was my queen.

[​IMG]

And then there is Herbert!!! I adopted him from the RSPCA 2 years ago. He's the total opposite of Cosmic and the day I bought him home she raised her eyebrows and tutted!! He's a killer, he's outside all the time and never still!! He's stunningly beautiful and adores his dogs but won't go near anyone except me!! He was dumped as a kitten with his mum and siblings, his mum was a beautiful black and white girl and I wanted to adopt her but she was nervous of dogs so Herbert came home instead!!! He's wonderful and I love him because he's so different to Cosmic. Unfortunately I cannot have another cat now because Herbert won't tolerate it (I tried with a kitten and he tried to kill it) so for now Herbert will have to do as my feline companion.

[​IMG]

20. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Loads and Loads of gorgeous cats!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice