Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Show me your cages (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Clear Sparkle

Clear Sparkle PetForums Newbie

Beautiful and clean❤

2. Dogwash

Dogwash PetForums Newbie

I'd like to show Clover's house. She is an eight month old gerbil. We've had her since summer 2017. My partner saw her in a pet shop alone in a plastic box, desperately scrabbling at the corner with her eyes shut. She was the last in her litter, left behind by herself. We decided to rescue her from the pet shop prison and give her a loving home. I'd never had a rodent pet before.
    We had her at first in one of those standard pet shop gerbil cages, plastic bottom and wire top, maybe 30x60cm base.
    We put in plenty of substrate, a little coconut shell house, a wooden tunnel, some cardboard tubes.
    I could see that even though it was a much nicer she was soon frustrated by the limited space, digging into the corners trying to explore past the plastic walls. She had so much energy it was sad to see her unable to really run about properly.
    I didn't like how she had to walk on wire on the upper levels, so I put in cardboard on the floor. I had made a little cardboard tunnel system for the lower part of the cage and she loved climbing in and out of that.
    She's not been in her cage for more than a couple of weeks when I decided I was going to build her something a bit more substantial, something wooden, not made of plastic and metal, where she could feel more natural and relaxed.
    Somewhere with where she could carry out as much instinctive behaviour as possible and be happier and healthier as a result.

So here it is:-

Basically it is made of three parts

At the bottom there is a 112 Litre tank I ordered from eBay.

I built a wooden frame to sit tightly over the glass tank, to support the wooden cage on top.

In there I put the slanted disc, a sand bath, two seesaws, and a wheel (which I turned upside down and screwed to the wooden cage, giving her an extra platform to sit on up top). There's four wooden bridges held in place by thin chain attached to hooks in the wooden walls. Two nets to climb on and a long tube for her to slide inside. Hay in one of the wooden houses, coconut fibre in the other. Substrate covering the tunnel system so she can dig and make her own tunnels.

We put a bean bag in front of her open door now when we are in the front room so that she can hop over to the sofa to be with us and she comes and goes as she pleases.
    We didn't do this immediately, it was a process of getting her used to more freedom within boundaries. She knows now if she drops down onto the floor then she will be caught and out back in her house with the door shut. She likes to come out for a long time so now she just stays on the sofa with us rather than trying to explore further.

Here she is on her front porch.

I bought a load of cardboard postal tubes with some wide masking tape and made a tunnel system to put in the tank and cover with substrate.

#622 Dogwash, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    simplysardonic and noushka05 like this.
  3. Dogwash

Dogwash PetForums Newbie

Hugo came along a few months later. He's a Russian Dwarf Hamster around five months old. He had also been left behind last of the litter and was in the same plastic cell in the same pet shop prison. He got lucky and escaped with us.

We put him into Clover's old wire and plastic cage at first, but I already knew he would be having a hamster palace to match Clover's.

I made him some tunnels for underneath the house

Here's Hugo

When he was younger

simplysardonic and noushka05 like this.
  4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Wow they are awesome @Dogwash. Clover & Hugo are very lucky indeed to have such a caring owner create such fabulous habitats for them :) (they are both extremely cute by the way)

Dogwash likes this.
  5. Dogwash

Dogwash PetForums Newbie

Thanks - I think I enjoyed making their houses almost as much as they seem to love living in them :)

It's worth every penny to see them running about having fun

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Those really are great habitats for your little furries @Dogwash, it's so lovely to see the work you've put in to make them happy.

7. Dogwash

Dogwash PetForums Newbie

Thanks, they give us much love back :)

8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Nikos current cage setup. (486 square inches of floor space)

IMG_20191122_185653995.jpg IMG_20191122_185659546.jpg

9. Malongow

Malongow PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody !
    Here my cages on Cromimi

8157944-2019-05-31.jpeg 8171792-2020-02-07.jpeg 8184343-2019-09-13.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice