Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Show leads

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by ChowChowmum, May 5, 2010.

1. ChowChowmum

ChowChowmum PetForums Member

Hi,

I attended my first ring craft class last night and was advised that I need to buy a new lead for my puppy. She is currently wearing a standard adjustable lead and collar.

Can anyone recommend what type of lead I would need for the Show Ring (for a Chow Chow!) and also recommend anywhere to buy them from online?

Thank you.x :thumbup:

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Probably a half check leather rolled show set. Not sure on the neck size, so you will have to measure. Measure from the ociput under the throat and back to the ociput again as this is the widest point for the collar to slip over as they don't undo. Hessonite show sets for show dogs

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Friend of mine who has Chows showed hers on a thin leather collar, tends to dissapear in the coat:)

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We have a thin blue nylon check show lead. However we are in the process of finding a reasonably priced rolled leather check lead. We found one for £25, not sure if that's a good price? Is for a 12" leather collar bit - was at the Natural Instinct's warehouse, in Camberley.

#4 kaisa624, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  5. ChowChowmum

Hi,

Thanls for your replies.

Kaisa624- I have been looking around and have just ordered a show set with a half check chain and it was £26.50 including p & p.

6. ChowChowmum

Hi,

I ordered the lead from essenjayleathersupplies.co.uk Tel: 01736 740094. I just called thm up and gave her the measurements and colour that I wanted and she said that she would post it to me early next week.

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Essenjay are brilliant, you won't be disappointed!

8. ChowChowmum

Thats good to hear!

I cant wait for it to arrive to start practicing with it.

9. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

You made a good choice! Ours all have essenjays half-check rolled leather collars and leads - 10 years on and they're still going strong. Lovely people too - they have a stall at most shows so you'll be able to meet them in person.

10. ChowChowmum

Yes I called yesterday and they were at Birmingham Show. She really seemed to know her stuff, which is more than I do, there is so much to showing dogs and I am just starting!

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Did you go to that class in Longridge?

We're taking Holly to Rushmoor RCC, when she's next down south, as my OH can't drive, so wouldn't be able to get to Longridge unless I'm up there.

Those collars are the ones that Natural Instinct order in. I asked them what make it was, and it was that. Once I'm paid, in 2 weeks, I will go along and buy one :)

12. ChowChowmum

Hi,

Yes we did go over to Longridge, I really enjoyed it and i think Cleo did aswell.

I have found another class in Oswaldtwistle which meets every fortnight on a Tuesday and I am hoping to go along to that. I have the street name but dont know the number so am going to have a drive over tomorrow night and hopefully be able to follow some dogs in!

If anyone knows where the ringcraft class in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs is tomorrow night, please let me know.

Katie.x

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Ooh. Is that closer than Longridge? Sounds good :)

14. ChowChowmum

It is closer plus it is easier to get to Oswaldtwistle as it has a better bus route than Longridge.

I think they have a match meet on tomorrow but they have a puppy walk on at half time.

Are you going to Leeds Show in July Kaisa624? I think we are going to enter Cleo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice