Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Show Dogs: Ear Taping??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pineapple, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Pineapple

Pineapple PetForums Member

Was just searching for a Rhodesian Ridgeback forum and came across one, but the first thread I read really put me off. A woman is concerned because her 7 month old puppy has one ear that sticks out a bit rather than hanging forward as seems to be desirable. People suggested all sorts of things to resolve this, from sticking a penny to her ear with surgical glue to weigh it down, or taping the ears together under the chin...

Read here.

I'm guessing all these people show their dogs, hence why the minutea of pup's appearance is such a concern...

But this just seems really bizarre and not particularly nice for the puppy.

"I ended up using the self adhesive "sticky" ace bandage around the top fold with the penny trick, but I used mini sand balloons, though it took quite some time for me to coax her to leave it alone... It worked pretty nice, but as you said with the ear infection, Leena had quite a bit and ended up getting a pretty bad Ear Infection which caused her to be sedated and have a deep ear tissue flush"

Sounds mental to me, but then I know nothing about showing dogs.

Is this common practice across all breeds where owner wants a desirable ear shape?

#1 Pineapple, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

It does sound mad indeed....

When I was little, I remember going to a dog breeders home and she had "powder puff" puppies ... who had cardboard strapped to their tails :confused:
    I asked the lady why have you done that and she said they are show dogs, we dont want any curly tails now do we :blink:

I guess these imperfections have to be addressed to when you own show dogs that have to look perfect

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I find the idea that something which resulted in a bad ear infection requiring sedation and a deep ear tissue flush being decribed as having "worked pretty nice" displays an unattractive, self-serving mindset.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I've only had one litter of pups and the girl had a lazy right ear - nothing wrong with it, just wouldn't stand up at five months, all the other pups ears were up by nine weeks.
    I bought a baby sponge, cut it in half placed it in her ear and taped it. Didn't like what I read on the net about cardboard etc., thought it was too hard so tried my own method. Took it off two weeks later and all done. Sometimes it just needs a little support for a few days.

[​IMG]

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

It happens I'm afraid. I had a Border Collie pup here a couple of years ago that the owner had purchased from a show breeder. The pups ears had been taped and were a hell of a mess, poor little thing.

6. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

That is the most strange thing, we own, breed and show Chinese Cresteds and have never heard or seen puppies have their tails strapped with cardboard :eek:

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Quite horrible and not something I would consider with any breed I of pup I bought, but then I'm not interested in showing ...

8. Pineapple

Somehow this doesn't seem a strange thing when we're talking about a Malamute, they are a breed you really think of as having this ear shape. My RR puppy has one ear that sticks out a little, but I've never thought to change it, just assumed that was the way he was. But if I had a different breed like a Mal where you'd expect ears to point up, maybe I'd think differently. But then as I have no interest in showing dogs either, I don't know if I just wouldn't leave the ear as was... Still, wouldn't use the techniques these people were on about, causing ear infections.

9. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I tried totape our Cleos ears as a youngster coz she ended up with fly ears, not correct in a rottie, didnt work coz she always managed to get the blooming tape off,:p lol!! gave up in the end, and had to accept her the way she is. She does keep 'em right for me in the ring, but only in t he ring, lol! She is a proper madam when it comes to her ears :rolleyes::

They have been the bane of my life though and I vowed back then to never have another rottie with fly ears!:rolleyes::D

It didnt hurt her though, would never consdier surgery or owt else.

10. Pineapple

Just looking at that post on ear cropping, I don't think taping looks anywhere near as bad.

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

When done correctly by someone who knows what their doing, the dogs experience no discomfort (or at least they act as though there is no discomfort, so one assumes they have no discomfort) they don't get infections (only incorrect taping/ gluing will cause this. Air must be allowed to circulate). Yes it is purely for aesthetic reasons, but if there is no detrimental health/ emotional concerns with it, I can't see a problem with it. I've never had to tape or glue (never had a breed that required it) so wouldn't know how to do it. I have seen it done though, but would never attempt it myself until I'd seen many done and been properly instructed and supervised during my first few attempts.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Amber showed no sign of discomfort what ever when her ear was taped. The sponge was soft and taped around the outside and as you saw just gave the support needed for a couple of weeks - obviously I checked it often too and replaced the sponge with a new piece.

Some of the things I saw on the internet I just would not do, one was taping the two ears together on top of the head so as the cartilage in the ear could strengthen - didn't like that or putting cardboard from a cereal packet in her ear and taping it. I never found anything on putting a large piece of soft sponge in the ear and was quite proud of myself for getting the ear to stand up after just two weeks. :)

13. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I taped our timbers ear because he had a soft ear, I did it for a couple of weeks and it worked, he didnt even know they were taped, I see no problem in doing something like this to be honest, but I do disagree with ear cropping, now that is a totally different ball game.

Mo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice