Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shouldn't babies have the same rules as dogs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

OK no i'm not making a poll or discussion as to what are better that would be so wrong lol!

But anyway, i saw a baby in the supermarket today, like a really tiny baby, i think she was about 6 weeks old.

But anyway, this is the thing. Dont' you think that the rules about going out with dogs after vacs should apply to babies too?

i mean babies can pick up infections too! So why do parents insist on showing their babies out in the outside world when they haven't had their immunisations?

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I don't really think you can compare babies to dogs in this way. The midwives actually encourage you to take your baby out for fresh air right away although it's about 5 days after the birth before the mother can go out. Babies are quite resilient to infections and do have some protection from their mothers when they are born. You have to go shopping for food, you can't make yourself a prisoner for months because you have a baby and if you have no one to babysit for you what do you do. Mine and my o.h's mother were too old to babysit when I had my last child 8 years ago so we had to take her to the supermarket whether we wanted to or not.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

because babies dont get full amount of jabs they need until they are 13months + you cant keep an baby in for 13months or if you wait till they have boosters they could be 5yrs old

even with the tiny baby jabs they would have to be in for maybe 14weeks how is someone who has older children meant to go to school? shopping? e.t.c

Babies very very rarely pick up infections from people if they do its normally colds which most of the time doesnt effect them that much

I had to go shopping for clothes for my daughter or she wouldnt have had anything to wear as she was tiny, she was less then 24hrs and i was in mothercare she's still here and very healthy (well chicken pox at the mo lol) i had to go out or i wouldve gone stir crazy in the house all day with a newborn and 12month old lol

4. LadyRedLainey

LadyRedLainey PetForums VIP

I was out with my babies from 1/2days old plus.

I do understand, but difference is, babies do not walk about when out, they are in a sling or buggy or being picked up. And midwives encourage babies to be out in the fresh air (plus it is magic for helping babies sleep to!)

5. Nicci

Nicci Guest

If I'd have had to stay in for a year plus after having my children I'd have been bald by the time the year was up :D

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Mine were out at days old, they arnt the same as pups yes you would be carefull to not take them to anyone who you knew had an infectious ilness, but no problem taking a young baby out.

7. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Babies dont walk on the pavement, lick whatever takes their fancy, put their nose in each other's butt and eat each other's poo :D

It is also encouraged to take young pups out and about before the final jabs if they are being carried and preferably not in hugely crowded places...

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If this is the case babies shouldn't leave the hospital for the first year of their life :p

9. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Babies & Children should be isolated or there should be adult only shopping environments...........Personnally much happier seeing a puppy than a noisey anckle biter!!!!

sequeena likes this.
  10. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

LOL as much as i love babies and children, you just made me laugh
    i agree with the posts about babies are nothing like puppies, they are fine outside :)

11. LadyRedLainey

LadyRedLainey PetForums VIP

So would i really! but i am saying that quietly with being a mummy :eek: (god that would be bliss pmsl!! shopping with no kids around, to be able to get the messages and come home with no stress aahhh :D )

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think all babies should be kept indoors until they are 21 years old :D

13. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I have kids and i go shopping in adult only time as much as i can, very late at night her really early in the morning,,

I very rarely take my children shopping with me,,

14. claire

claire Guest

I take my children shopping and they always behave, its educational for them.
    They ask questions about thing, we talk about what things do, what the names of food are and what colours they are. :D

If children had to stay in untill they had all there immunisations i think that would be around 12 years old :confused:

And is not like they make a habit of sticking there noses up other childrens arses :p or licking someone elses pee up off the pavement :blush2:

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

14 is you count TB and I'm sure polio/diptheria are done at 15 :eek:

16. claire

claire Guest

LOL, people who moan about kids would really moan if they were kept in till that age because when they got out they would really run wild. Can you imagine???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Do you know they've stopped giving the TB jag up here now??:eek:

I agree with what everyone else has said though, if I'd had to keep my kids in til they had all their main jabs...they would have driven me mad!! They are not going about picking up germs off pavements, grass or other poop! :D

x

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

PMSL haha god :eek:

What? Why?!

19. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Apparaently its not as high a risk as before so they're not giving it anymore. Obviously if the risk becomes higher again then I presume they will start giving it again!! We got a letter home from the school about it!

Shocking eh, whats a childhood without a TB scar :p x

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

!!! What happened to the phrase 'Better safe than sorry' :mad: If there was another outbreak of TB this will all end in tears.

Haha yes, I was the first one in my class to have it done because the boys were too chicken...then had to help everyone else through it (holding hands, distracting etc)!! The nurse and doctor said I should become a nurse lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice