Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should we get another?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by little_miss_kitty, Mar 28, 2011.

1. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Hi everyone

My tiny cocker spaniel puppy Bo has now reached the grand old age of 1 and has not really shown any signs of calming down. He is brilliant when left in the house by himself but he is very much a people dog (when I am home he will literally not leave my side and wants my attention 24/7). He gets plenty of exercise but I can't help feeling that he needs the company of another dog.

We had our friends 2 yr old very calm cocker stay for the weekend who Bo absolutely adores and since our visitor left Bo has been extremely well behaved, really really really calm, and not clingy at all which has been wonderful so now we're wondering if having another dog would result in Bo being much happier and calmer if he had a constant companion to learn from? We have a cat who he constantly tries to play with but she won't have any of it. Our other cat did play with him but he sadly passed away on Boxing day. He LOVES other dogs and makes a beeline for them to play when out on walks so I think he just really wants another dog to play with during the day.

(Bo has recently been neutered)

Do you think having a 2nd dog would be beneficial?

Thanks

#1 little_miss_kitty, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Probably.

Try fostering for a local rescue and see how he copes with sharing his home.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Sounds like a great idea. If you feel Bo is ready for a new addition.

If you want the dog to have a calming effect though i would suggest an older steady rescue (maybe aged 4 or 5) rather than a puppy :)

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Sounds like another may be a good idea! If you are ready for the extra costs involved then you will get twice the love back.

If you choose your second dog wisely it should be great, we love our two!

5. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I think alot depends on if you want another dog and if you have the time/money for another etc. One of my people at my work says her Westie did not calm down until she got another dog (it was an older private rehome not a pup). My cocker spaniel Sonny is now nearly 2 years old and is starting to calm down but is still clingy and will follow you about in the house. I am desperate for another dog and have been since he was about a year old but my Dad who I stay with and who looks after Sonny when I am at work is not to kean :( We met a tiny cocker spaniel pup when out walking the other day and she was soo tiny and sweet - and Sonny tolerated her running around after him (she was off lead and Sonny was on) really well - she even started barking at him.

Sorry I have not been much help really but I know if I had the choice I would have had another dog a long time ago so am a bit bias good luck what ever you decide to do.

6. little_miss_kitty

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking this morning and have found a few rescue dogs that sound suitable (I would really like to get a rescue this time) however the OH is a bit reluctant to get a rescue as he feels we would not properly be able to asses their temperament before bringing them home and it could cause further problems.

#6 little_miss_kitty, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. little_miss_kitty

How would we go about fostering? Our friends dog has stayed for quite a few weekends and they get on brilliantly and our dog owning friends regularly bring their dogs round and he has no problem with other dogs being in the house, sleeping in his bed, sharing his food bowl etc. He's just very excited to have other dogs in the house.

The only problem is that Bo is usually home alone for around 3hrs a day duing weekdays. Would we be able to foster if this was the case for the fister dog?

8. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

I personally (and this is just ME) wouldn't get another one simply because I'm selfish and I think my dog is too and wouldn't like to share things, especially me!!

Having said that ONE is my magic number as I seem to have one of most things ;)

Everyone's different and I'm sure at the end of the day you'll do what's right for you, OH and Bo - best wishes x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice