Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should we get a third cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jumpingjack, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jumpingjack

jumpingjack PetForums Member

OK, here's the long, convoluted dilemma.

18 months ago we adopted two cats from the CPL. Rosie was 18 months old, and Jack was 5 months. They had both had difficult backgrounds (Rosie was a stray with a litter of kittens living behind an undertaker's, Jack had been taken from a drug addict who fed him amphetamines) but there was no long term damage done.

Jack was at home straight away, VERY friendly, marching about, claiming every chair and bed in the place for himself. Rosie took longer to settle, and was very shy, but is now a very contented companion for me during the day, sitting on my lap, chasing flies in the garden, etc.

They don't get on well together, mainly because Jack just wants to play and Rosie just wants to be left alone. He chases her occasionally, they have had a few (not serious) fights, she growls at him when she thinks he's in a pouncing mood, etc. I'm pretty sure she'd be fine with him if he didn't casually try to bite her leg and ninja out from his rustle tunnel at her!

I feel a bit sorry for both of them, as Rosie is annoyed by Jack, and Jack has no-one to play with. We do play a lot with Jack, giving him lots of exercise, plus they both go outside.

What are the odds of us being able to get another rescue cat, who wants to play with Jack but who leaves Rosie alone? I'm only just starting to think about this, so please don't think that I am rushing to get another, I'd just like to hear your views and experience - do you think it's possible?

I would go back to the nice lady at CPL who gave us our two, and explain what we were looking for. She was very clear about the personalities of our two when we got them, so I think she would know about any of her current cats who were definitely NOT suitable.

2. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

There's a lot to think about when adding another cat into the equation.

I do see what you mean, although i personally don't see it as a 'problem' as such.

If the lady was very clear about the personalities of the two you have, isn't it funny how they don't really get along?

Cats are generally solitary animals, they come together to hunt in the wild.

I currently have 4 and find that they don't play together, the odd time but not usually.

Getting another could please one but not the other, or please neither. I very much doubt another would bring joy to all.

It's personal choice whether you get another, think about things like vet bills, feeding costs etc etc. You will need another litter tray, food bowl etc.

If finances aren't a problem i'd personally go for it, but that's just me :tongue_smilie:

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I have to admit getting Loki settled ours down a lot

neither of my girls play much - Gypsy wants to but loses her temper, Mabel is older and has sore hips (they were badly broken when someone threw her out of a car going 40mph)

Indy always wanted to play and was causing fights and upsets - he had recently lost his 'little brother' another rescue boy Misha...

Loki plays with Indy a *lot* and only occasionally teases the girls... a few swats soon taught him that Indy was the one he wanted to spend time with

4. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

jumpingjack, Hope you get the perfect playmate to suit both. What a "complete Lowlife" giving a kitten Amphetamines :mad:. Glad he,s in safe Hands now.
    IndysMamma, So Glad Mabel survived That terrible Ordeal in The car, I,d like To kick The culprit out of That Car Too, AT 80 mph. :mad:

5. jumpingjack

jumpingjack PetForums Member

The thing is, he has moments of the usual cat silliness(racing round the room, miaowing at the door to be let in then dashing away when you open it, jumping in the flip-top bin, playing with Da Bird) and we just look at each other and go 'what was he like on drugs??' :)

Anyway, he's completely fine, and the only residual behaviour 'problem' (if you can call it that) is an annoying need to snorgle your neck and scratch it to shreds while dribbling and purring VERY LOUDLY in your ear at 3am. We think he was taken away from his mum a bit too early, but plenty of cats have far worse problems with behaviour, we've been very lucky.

I'm going to give this some more thought, thanks for all your good advice and info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice