Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should the school leaving age be raised to 18?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Jun 7, 2010.

?

SHOULD THE SCHOOL LEAVING AGE BE RAISED TO 18?

1. YES ITS A GOOD IDEA

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. NO ITS A STUPID IDEA

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. DON'T KNOW

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

If what i have just read on another thread is correct and the goverment is talking about raising the school leaving age to 18,its made me angry. How can you be classed as an adult at 18 but they want you to still be in school at this age?:( I can understand why they would do it, but i sure as hell don't think its right.My oppion is, if they go ahead and raise the school leaving age its for one reason only,and thats to bring the unemployment figures down.:mad:
    Ok so your thoughts please.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I hated school and couldn't wait to leave but went straight into college. I love college.

I think that it should be complusory for all 16 years olds to go into college until they are 18 years old. Really, these days, you will get nowhere with just GCSEs, you need A levels, apprenticeships, degrees, diplomas etc to get a decent job.

I don't think you should stay at school and do A levels, but every child needs to go to college, wherever this may be and whatever it may be, whether its A levels or diplomas.

3. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i think its a good idea because some of the best people i know didnt really decide on what to do untill they was 17/18.....including me, and it was too late! i wish i had my head filed neatly at 15/16 to plan but too late :(

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I understand them wanting to do it in terms of people having more qualifications but I would have thought they should encourage A Levels more and not force them. People resent compulsory things specifically compulsory education and 14 years in full time education is such a long time for those who don't get on well with it :nonod:

5. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Yes I agree. My oldest daughter Grace really struggles with school sometimes. The very thought of another 2 years would horrify her. Particularly as she will be going into her final year in September, so as far as she is concerned the end is in sight.
    On the other hand Katie would probably love it as she is very academically minded and will most probably go on to do A levels if that is what she wants.

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

actually i completely agree with it. Its designed to ensure young people continue to learn, it doesnt actually mean they have to stay in secondary school, there are lots of options.

Raising the age isnt something new to this gvt, its been planned for years. The plan is that the leaving age will be raised to 18 in 2015.

I think there is some misunderstanding though, it doesnt mean just staying in school, it just means staying in some form of education. Whether that be apprentiships, work based learning, part time, college, 6th form, part time college etc.

Found this for you:

Obviously this is what labour had planned, have the new gvt changed the plans then?

7. GoldenShadow

See this is it there are a *lot* of varying sources as to whether or not apprenticeships will count and that the numbers on those may mean a lot of people are unable to get on one and have no choice but to do A Levels etc. Until it actually comes into practice I don't think we will know, but either way I think a lot more will end up doing A Levels.

Its also unclear as to what will happen if people try to 'drop out' of what they are doing ie. do they have to start the cycle again in another type of full time ed or are they just not allowed to drop out. I feel most would go for the apprenticeships but not enough will exist for everyone and I know a lot start A Levels and then drop out so it will be interesting to see what they will really do about it, but until 2013-2015 I don't think we will know really.

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I think it's a good idea, cos if some people are anything like me, I had no idea what I wanted to do once I'd left school.
    I'm 19 now and still don't lol, but still lol.

9. GoldenShadow

See this is why it could work well ish if everything is catered for. Your Grace could maybe go down the apprenticeship route and Katie down the A Level/college route but I just wonder how many spaces there will be for apprenticeships. Part of me sees it turning into a rat race again which yes should be good as only the ones who care will do it but there will still be those who don't care and want to go on Job Seekers needing to do something but it seems this compulsory education age increase will eat up the available apprenticeships...We need to make people *want* to do things and not give them no option. Apprenticeships are a good idea but having to do one is something else really...

10. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Would you feel diferent if say for instance you could leave at 16,but then have the choice to go back after a year? I know, looking back i would have done.I hated school and couldn't wait to leave.:D

11. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I think it depends on how its managed.... If its purely acedemic subjects then no, its a waste of time. Not everyone does well or enjoys academia and this could be time spent on something more useful. I feel my a-levels were essentially wasted time as I did Sociology, Business studies and Design tech. None of which have helped me any, Business is the only one i use now but my apprenticeship covered any business subjects i need - like project planning and financial management.

If they allow a choice between acedemic subjects and vocational, or even a mix of the two, it could be of use. Sadly I think its more of a ploy to manipulate the official unemployment statistics

Qualifictions dont really mean you will get a good job, without a balance of work experiance with it. By forcing people to stay at FT school, this could be limiting the amount of work experiance more vocationally minded students can get and hinder their ability to find work (16yo's are cheaper labour than 18yo's, at 18 there is more competition against older more experianced people)

12. GoldenShadow

I think that's more because schools don't really advise much. The Connexions people are pretty hopeless and even last September when we picked the degree we want to do and the universities there was no real guidance or 'what type of things would you like to do' just get gone and do your application it needs to be in by December :scared:

13. billyboysmammy

the info i posted came from here: DCSF 14-19 Reform: Raising the Participation Age

department for schools and families.

Unless the new gvt change things, then all apprentiships will be included, as will other on the job training (e.g. home study for secretarial work, or on the job it training... basically any form of education that gives a young person an actual qualification or diploma). It can be part time or full time, it can be at home, in school, in college, in apprentiship or on the job.

I accept your queries though about what happens if someone drops out or wants to change course. I assume that you wouldnt be able to drop out, but you would be able to change.

If you changed courses halfway through any year at any college or uni now, you would have to start at the beginning again to get the qualification. You cant expect someone who was training to be a hairdresser to walk into an IT course halfway through and still qualify without putting the work in!

14. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I went to an American School in Pakistan and absolutely hated it!

We then go deported (due to bombs ect) before I was 18 therefore I didnt graduate.

My education was that bad I had try and catch up by doing my GCSE's in a year, then going on to college.

I don't think raising the school age to 18 is a good idea, as instead of teaching all the lessons until they are 16 they will probably teach the same lessons but making them last longer until they are 18 - if that makes any sense.

Being in school until 18 doesnt mean you will be taught anything more than when you are 16.

Plus I believe there is alot more bullying that happens in schools than it does in colleges or Uni's.

15. GoldenShadow

:lol: of course not to the bottom paragraph, but what I mean is there are people who don't sit their GCSE's even though they are compulsory. One of my old friends from primary ended up playing truant for half of year ten, three quarters of year eleven and didn't sit any of her GCSE's. That was basically dropping out I think and even though it was full time education she got out of doing the exams and getting the qualifications. I'm wondering how things like this will be changed at A Level, I just wonder if more people may do the above especially if they don't get the option they want (ie, want an apprenticeship but no space or fail to get on so have to do A Levels etc).

16. billyboysmammy

ahh i see what you mean now...

i have no idea what penalties will be imposed if people just totally drop out. I am guessing if they play truant long enough though... their parents (and/or) possibly themselves could wind up with a prison sentance, fine and criminal record. :confused1: At least thats what can happen to kids and parents currently abusing the system.

17. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

This is the concern I have. Grace still isn't sure what she wants to do with her life after school. She is on Work experience this week and as she couldn't make her mind up where she wanted to go she was put in the Army for a week.:confused:
    Believe me when I say this is so not Graces thing. If they bring this in and she decides to opt for one thing and it doesn't work out for her she may feel that she has wasted her time and not want to do anything else. Maybe they could do tasters of a couple of things for a term that you are interested in and when you know for sure, then that is the one you opt for.

18. GoldenShadow

Its just going to be hard isn't it, a lot play truant as it is and if more and more do this people running the apprenticeships may end up just lumping it and carrying on but I feel we may still have lots of people who don't like having to do something and do their best to drop out and do nothing. I really think a lot would want apprenticeships and like the idea, but I don't know how they can introduce so many ready for the 2013/2015 start if you know what I mean?

We need to figure out how to motivate people and in an ideal world we wouldn't force anything. I feel the apprenticeships are being served up on a silver platter and that most should be desperate for the chance, you learn, get paid to learn at the same time as work and have a job you are qualified for at the end. Its just those who might not be able to get what they want and how they will go about what they do next. I can't see people wanting to do an apprenticeship and missing out, being at all happy to do A Levels. The two really take you in different directions don't they?

I am pretty sure Grace will miss out on getting forced to stay on or do an apprenticeship, as long as she finishes year 11 before September 2013 she should be one of the last not to be forced to stay on in education.

In all honesty I think we need better career's advice people at schools. Connexions are bad, they asked me if I liked being outside, did I like the thought of working in an office etc. They came up with the fact I should be an RAF pilot according to their computer programme and when they found out I liked horses they said I could be a farrier or a riding school instructor. The jobs they looked at were stuck on a low level, nothing like being an equine physiotherapist or an equine vet etc, they were really low level jobs which you could go straight into which seems to go against what we are encouraged to do at school?

This is all guesswork of course, I'm glad I missed out on the compulsory education and am interested to see how this really works out.

19. billyboysmammy

It wouldnt just have to be apprentiships though from how i understand it. Even if they go to work in macdonalds they are required to do on the job training, food hygine qualifications, and macdonalds own education scheme.... not so different from now other than they HAVE to learn, rather than go on the dole and waste everything.

If you work stacking shelves in a supermarket, you can still qualify at home in customer service diploma etc and it need only be part time so i dont see why every child couldnt achieve it one way or another.

ITs fully funded and voluntary jobs are taken into account too. So someone working in a rescue kennels could qualify part time to an animal care nvq!

20. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i thoght it had already been lifted?

yeah i think its a great idea. I think national service would be better though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice