UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

should the ambulance service pick up drunks

• yes leave them

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • no they should be picked up

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • don't know

Votes: 5 9.8%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love watching cops uk,street crime, and what your emergency, plus others.
Now it really pees me off at the amount of time that is wasted with ambulances having to go out and sort out drunks.:mad:
Last night there was one guy who makes a habit of calling an ambulance to take him to the hospital.At the time of the program he had been taken to the hospital 52 times that year (so far).:mad:
Personaly i think if they can't hold their drink i'd leave them in the gutter.
Your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
I really don't know tbh. Once my mam was out on a cold, icy night, got plastered, slipped on the ice and cracked her head open, needing stitches in her eyebrow. OK, because of the drink she was more worried about the fact she'd scraped the skin off her thumb, :rolleyes: but that's hardly the point. I don't know whether she was taken to hospital in an ambulance, or if dad flagged down a taxi to take them, but either way, she obviously needed to be seen to, regardless of the drink and I'd have been annoyed with the medical staff if they'd refused to see her on the basis that she was full of drink.

Also my SIL once had to struggle with my brother, who was suffering from a severe nosebleed whilst out on the drink (nothing to do with the drink and he hadn't been caught in a fight - he's had them periodically throughout his life). SIL has a disability and was struggling to hold him up. She asked a couple of passing policement for help and because they were a young couple on the town they dismissed them as being drunk and having got into a fight, no matter how much my SIL tried to persuade them otherwise. :(

On the other hand, calling the ambulance out of habit when they're not needed is a waste of the paramedic's time and could cost someone their lives. If I was having an asthma attack that wouldn't settle down with my inhalers, I'd hate to have to wait 2 or 3 hours for a paramedic to reach me because they were tending to some lowlife drunk who didn't know how much s/he could take.

It also pees me off when you hear these stories about people abusing the ambulance service by calling them out just so they can get to a doctor's appointment (get the patient transport service if you really can't get yourself there - not the paramedics), or even worse, to go to the shops for them for some ciggies :mad: It's been a while since I heard that one though.

G

·
Yes they should be picked up an treated. I agree its annoying to see it but if you pay into the system your entitled to use it. Self inflicted or not in my opinion

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they should be picked up an treated. I agree its annoying to see it but if you pay into the system your entitled to use it. Self inflicted or not in my opinion
Surely its an abuse of the system. I'm not talking about people that have injuries, but those who are just too drunk to get home.:(

·
Registered
436 Posts
That man last night should have been sectioned, its not homeless people fault there in the situation they are. Apparently that fella last night used to play for Leeds?

I think there should be a home for people like him, hostels are few and far between.

Thing is they had to pick him up first time he had a head injury ya cant leave a guy on the street with a head injury if they did and he then had a bleed the ambulance drivers are up on charges.

The second time i would have got the police to arrest him for wasting the emergency services time.

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
I would like to say leave them!
But guess that could result in a tragedy if someone were 'mistaken' for druck!

They should most certainly be charged a fixed fee say £90

·
Registered
616 Posts
Agree with DT, Ive lost count of the times Ive seen people laughing at someone in the street as they thought the person was drunk only later to find out that said person was having a stroke.
Agree that their should be a fine put into place for prank calls or calls that are not an emergency. Too many paramedics are being taken away from life threatening calls due to unnecessary call outs :mad:

G

·
Sorry. No. They aren't a taxi service and it's peoples own fault for getting drunk. Nobody forces you to drink alcohol you make that decision yourself. If it is a genuine emergency yes I agree that the ambulance service should be used, but look at the amount of call outs the ambulance service get to attend drunks tying up the ambulance service and when someone has a genuine emergency the response times are slower because they have to attend to a drunk first.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The issue with what janice is talking about.

Janice that guy at the end was drunk he banged his nose, and bleed to death due to the medication he was on.

Its to tough a call to decide i think they have to go on the side of being safe than sorry.

Also the chap that called 52 has no home his home is the street and his friend is the bottle of booze, i think it says more about society that we still have homeless people walking the streets

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know a guy who lives right by the hospital and treats the ambulance service like a taxi rank!
Just phones them up and tells them he is too drunk, they show up and give him a free lift home!

G

·
In that case i feel community service would be a good idea for people who do that
I agree. Or some sort of fine for abusing the service like the fire brigade fine you for unnecessary call outs the ambulance service should do the same.

·
Amused
29,064 Posts
I think repeat offenders, should be left to their own consequences, but if its the first time, really, they should be picked up if needed to be.
Really tho, they pay for their ambulance ride, they get a huge bill for it if they arent insured for that.
Least here they do anyway.

G

·
I think repeat offenders, should be left to their own consequences, but if its the first time, really, they should be picked up if needed to be.
Really tho, they pay for their ambulance ride, they get a huge bill for it if they arent insured for that.
Least here they do anyway.
Not in the UK :) NHS is free unless you are foreigner and don't reside over here in which case I think they do bill you.

G

·
I agree. Or some sort of fine for abusing the service like the fire brigade fine you for unnecessary call outs the ambulance service should do the same.
the only problem is i think in general fines dont work. Ppl just take it on the chin n pay it. I know with me my time is more valuble than money

·
Amused
29,064 Posts
Not in the UK :) NHS is free unless you are foreigner and don't reside over here.
Ok lol, well they should slap on a bill for ambo rides, I have to pay sixty or so a yr to be covered by hbf if i need to use an ambulance, cos I learnt the hard way, when bashed it cost me over three hundred dollars for the ride lol. :eek:
Medicare doesnt include that here.

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
I'm torn. I don't think they should pick up people who abuse the service to get free lifts home and such, but the NHS is based on a moral obligation to help people who can't help themselves in terms of health so wouldn't they be contradicting themselves if they didn't help these people out?

G

·
I'm torn. I don't think they should pick up people who abuse the service to get free lifts home and such, but the NHS is based on a moral obligation to help people who can't help themselves in terms of health so wouldn't they be contradicting themselves if they didn't help these people out?
I suppose anything that is free is open to abuse.

If the drunk has a health condition and on medication they surely shouldn't be drinking. I know though people choose to ignore the fact that you aren't meant to drink on medication.

Yes the NHS have a moral obligation to help people in need and this is quite a hard question to answer. But at the end of the day the drunk has chosen to drink or drink on medication no one forced him or her, so my answer is still no.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I think they should be picked up. If it is a repeat offender then a system of fines or community service should be worked out.
If they are to be left as 'self inflicted' then how about car drivers who crash??? If they didn't drive they wouldn't be hurt! Ok so silly example but it's not really as straightforward as it seems :D

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.