Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should Surolan eardrops cause blood red blotches?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by David Davidson, Dec 8, 2019.

1. David Davidson

David Davidson PetForums Newbie

So my cat has an issue with his ear, just the one ear and just around the ear. I had him booked into the vets today and along with a general checkup they prescrobed some eardrops (Surolan, which contains miconazole (an antifungal and antibiotic) Polymyxin B (another antibiotic) and prednisone (an anti inflammatory corticosteroid) however she wasn't sure if it was a general infection or ringworm (due to there being a small (smaller than a 5 pence piece) bald spot which developed on Thursday night, after I had him booked in for today (Saturday) I followed the vets instructions to the letter (right down to making sure the hand I was rubbing the ear drops in and around inside the ear was covered with a latex glove) about 5 hours after applying the ear drops I noticed his ear was redder than before so I took some macro photos of both the ear and the small bald patch on his head to see what was going on (I'll include them) and there appears to be a number of bright red patches. Is this normal? The unaffected ear is perfectly fine, if a little glossy looking from the drops as I was advised to treat both ears even if one isn't affected. I'll phone the vets come Monday and check with them too, though if there's a vet or vet nurse here who can advise that would be great, I checked the insert with the ear drops and although it goes into great detail about the active ingredients and what they work on, it doesn't have a list of side effects.
    Could the redness maybe also be caused by the vet inspecting and cleaning his ear as there seemed/seems to be some scabbing or crusting.

As for the cat himself, he seems to be fine in terms of eating, he ate 5 slices of honey roast ham on getting back then a fifth of a can of food to top it off, after that he went straight out the cat flap and came back an hour later to lie down on the couch beside me. He has been sleeping a lot after getting back from the vet, but I assume this is normal due to the stress of being in a box surrounded by dogs.

Links to photos:
    https://ibb.co/myDq2kG
    https://ibb.co/1833DV3

Cheers

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Having looked at the photos I'd be very suspicious of ringworm and would be getting the test done asap as it is highly contagious and can spread to other pets and humans.

Cats can be sensitive to certain ingredients in medications or even the latex in the gloves but the fact only one ear showed issues despite you doing both does not really point to this.

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Tigermoon, if the redness is an allergy to the drops I'd have expected it to affect both ears, not just one ear.

I'm glad you will be speaking to your vet tomorrow about it.

Just to mention that honey roast ham, being a cured meat, contains a lot of salt as well as preservatives. Salt is very bad for a cat's kidneys. A tiny piece of ham for a treat occasionally is probably OK. But 5 slices of ham would contain far too much salt for a cat's kidneys to cope with.

David Davidson likes this.
  4. David Davidson

David Davidson PetForums Newbie

His ear did look a little better this evening when I first applied the Surolan, so I'll see how he is throughout the night and give the vets a call tomorrow and email the pictures (or new pictures) over to them if they don't mind taking a look at them.
    He does scratch quite heavily at the ear after treatment so if it is ringworm it will likely spread in between his toes, so I'll have to inspect that at some point, probably after I put on a stab vest and super thick oven mitts.

Thanks for warning me a out the ham, I didn't even think of how much salt is in ham and the vet knew I was getting him a pack afterwords, 5 slices contain 0.75g of salt, so it's quite significant, though he is a big cat, weighing about 4 and a half kilos. Might explain why he was a little lethargic yesterday.
    I've continued giving him ( much smaller amounts) of ham and will until I get to the supermarket tomorrow.
    Any ideas on what I can use for a treat? There are the special cat treats which he does like, however getting his ear treated warrants something extra special. He isn't very partial to fish at all and seems to prefer meat and poultry, though (cooked) offal like liver and kidney are less attractive to him than normal cat food.
    I guess chicken would be a safe bet, though he seems to prefer the ham above all else.

Edit, I got some images of his ear today and it seems to be clearing up, at least "Henry's pocket" (the name for the secondary fold in the ear which goes nowhere) which was red and spotted with blood red marks seems to be mending. However the top part of his ear seems to be affected (I noticed that late last night on his second treatment) I'm hoping it's not ringworm and that the ear drops solve it, though it may be the antinflammitory action of the prednisone (which I would have thought to be a bad addition to something that treats infection due to corticosteroids having fairly strong imminosuppressant effects) but at least it will help with the pain.

Links to images:
    https://ibb.co/0975FqM
    https://ibb.co/S31b07C
    https://ibb.co/mq92BfB

Looking at his back paw it isn't the cleanest and he did have a mild ear infection which cleared up with normal ear cleaning in mid October (scratch marks in ear, redness, foul smell) after two days of cleaning and a week of watchful waiting. After that he was fine, but his back left paw seems quite dirty and he has been putting it inside his ear, then scratching. Could this have been the source of the infection?? I explained to the vet that he had a minor infection back then but it was resolved with nothing but cleaning with water and a cotton pad (not a cotton bud, as they can easily damage the eardrum if a cat struggles during cleaning) however the infection did stem from scratches inside his ear.
    Pic related:
    https://i.ibb.co/HHJJQbV/20191209-042026.jpg

#4 David Davidson, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice