Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should she be casting?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, May 21, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi Me again.
    Amber is really casting already. I didn't think this happened til after the pups were here. We are on day 57 and throughout her pregnancy (for the last 5 weeks) her diet has been crap. Do you think this is the reason?
    Feel like i'm being a pest with all thes questions.

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

What do you mean her diet has been CRAP ???

3. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

I have put in earlier posts about this. What I maen is she went off her food from about week 4 and from then on getting her to eat has been a struggle.
    She was on chicken and brown bread for a wee bit then managed to introduce puppy food which she went off again after about a week. She has been eating puppy food(Royal canin) but not as much as she should.and it has been a struggle. Right now I am making up little meatballs of bashed puppy food,raw egg or gravy mix(dog stuff) and tripe.Even this is a struggle but she is eating just not as much as she should. Have been to the vets but they just say she is healthy enough

4. flufffluff39

I had no problems like that with my bitch when she was pregnant she loves her food and she never went off it!! I gave her scrambled eggs a couple of times a week and milk too. Did you speak to your vet??

5. flufffluff39

I mean aswell as dog food not just scrambled egg and milk a couple of times a week :)

6. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Yes have spoken to vet about the diet. Basically he would have starved her. Told me not to give in to her as she would eat when she was hungry!!!
    I wasn't prepared to go for days at a time and not let her eat so I have just kept trying. She was there only last week and they still gave me the same advice!!

7. flufffluff39

Really!! I' am surprised at that. Have you spoken to a breeder. One who may have had experience of the problem you have??

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

The casting is quite normal, probably due to the sudden weather change too. It could be due to her lack of diet, but I doubt it, more to do with her moulting, assuming she is a moulting breed???

9. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Yes Have had some good advice re the eating from this forum. The owner of the stud I used has heard of this but not to the extremes that she is going to. It's been a very trying fwe weeks and thats before pups!!!

10. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi Tanya
    Yes she's a golden retriever. I never thought about the weather!!Doh!!

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry. She'll be better off during labour if she casts now :)

12. flufffluff39

I was in the vets on tuesday and the amount of fur on the floor was unbelievable off the labs and a doberman :) It was boiling in there bless them.

13. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Thanks guys.
    You've eased my mind again!!!!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice