UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is almost 6 months. He is booked in to be neutered towards the end of the month.

He has had numerous urinary problems since a baby and I know that they are more common in neutered males so should he have it done or wait?

He is currently an indoor cat with no other pets. He can be a bit aggressive but no spraying etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both vets we see (same practice ) always ask when he's booked in etc but I haven't actually brought up the topic in relation to his problems and they haven't mentioned anything themselves

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
I would neuter him and make sure his diet is coping with keeping the UTIs in check. His aggression could get worse and he will want to go out to mate, the stress of not being allowed to could cause him to get more UTIs. Also if he start spraying and does it for a while neutering doesn't always cure it if it has become a habit.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I would phone the Vet and discuss your worries and see what they say as there is a link between castration and UTI issues in male cats but if depends on what causes the UTI's, if it's stress then I can't see it being too much of an issue, talk to your vet and see what they suggest.

·
Mum to 2 cats and a dog
5,743 Posts
I would have him neutered but would wait a little longer than 6 months. I had one of my boys neutered at 10 months instead. I would then look at his diet and choose a food that is recommended for cats with UTI problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.