Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should my 7wk queen be indoors now??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Honeybunch, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Hi all, my cat Honey is now 7 weeks pregnant today and my question relates to keeping her indoors? She is a moggy and is used to going outside as do my 4 other cats. I have a cat flap so they come and go as they please but never go very far. Im a bit concerned though now as she is only a couple of weeks away from birth that perhaps I should be keeping her indoors?? Has anyone any advice I just feel cruel keeping her confined indoors when she is used to free roaming? Could I possibly let her out during the day for this week and keep her locked in as from next week or should I really keep her in from now onwards? I don't want to stress her out but at same time obviously want her safe.
    I have a seperate room with a nesting box, litter tray etc which Im hoping she will use for the birth but should I keep her in it from now? Im sorry for all the questions I know Im a bit of a wittle :lol: its just I've never had a pregnant cat before. Its difficult to lock the cat flap too as obviously I have 4 other cats that use it and I work shifts and can't be here all the time to open doors. Has anyone else been in this same situation that can offer advice?? I should say she doesnt seem to be slowing down at all doesnt seem to be sleeping much more than usual. Her belly is getting rounder but she has showed no interest in her nesting box, just went in sniffed it and came straight out.

#1 Honeybunch, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have let her out at all while in kitten, and she cant go out after as she will become in kitten again, so shell have to stay in until kits are weaned and she is spayed, so keep her in from now :)

3. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Geri was out right up until she gave birth, out saturday day gave birth early hours of sunday but in the last week I only let her in the garden if I could go with her and for very short spells of time and she seemed happy with that, cos I was stressing she would run off and give birth outside etc etc but of course she didn't, maybe it depends on the cat, I'm not really sure to be honest but she is used to going out all the time as well, of course she won't be now until she is spayed.

Mo xx

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

IMO she should have been kept in from the moment you knew she was pregnant.

How do you know when exactly she became pregnant? Other Tom's could have still tried to mount her. I remember reading somewhere that you get all sorts of problems if the kittens have different fathers. I hope someone more experienced can confirm and explain this.

Now is probably the time to confine her to one room, on her own (obviously go and spend time with her though, just no other pets) with all the comforts she needs for an easy as possible birth. Give her time to adjust before the big day.

5. malibu

malibu Guest

Tia stayed in from 7 weeks, and has been kept in since, shes getting spayed in 4 weeks time :)

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I would keep her in now (actually from the minute you discovered pregnancy but too late for that).

Assuming your having her speyed...

She needs to adjust to being indoors, you are going to have at least 10 weeks with her indoors after birth (weaning kittens and then post op), and as long as possible before birth.

7. Honeybunch

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep her in now as advised so she gets used to it. I am having her spayed after the birth so will need to keep her in until kittens are weaned. I never realised that a tom cat may still mount her when she is already pregnant! I didnt think she would allow it. She mated with a friends tom so I know exact date. I will definately keep her in now just wish I had known all this earlier its just she's always gone out. Thanks for advice everyone.

8. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

I know what you mean about feeling cruel keeping her in, with my cat she was very big and didn't have a lot of energy but she still showed an interest when the door was opened and I would go sit outside with her in the garden to get some fresh air, i did this right up until the birth as she was in no state to run off and she enjoyed sitting there sniffing the air, most of the time she'd go back inside to bed when she'd had enough. Not a good idea to let her go out of sight though and it depends if shes the type of cat to run off.

9. Honeybunch

Thanks for that I have confined her to the room I want her to give birth in following previous advice. To start with she kept meowing to come out but she is now a lot more settled and is actually sleeping loads more so she seems chilled. As it is the weather has been bad here and she doesnt like the rain so she prob wouldnt go out anyway! Im not sure if I did let her in garden that she wouldnt run off but like u say she's getting bigger now so perhaps would just get a bit of fresh air and stay but I feel she prob safer indoors. shes started going in her box now so fingers crossed she may use it for birth. Can I ask u when u felt babies moving? she is on day 52 so still got nearly 12 days or so but should I be feeling them yet as all I can feel is hard bits! ?

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I always used to let my outdoor cats go out right up until they were due to pop.

liz

11. pheobesowner

pheobesowner PetForums Junior

I dont know what is the 'right' thing to do, but i personaly am keeping mine in. at first she wanted out but she can bearly roll of the couch now so dont think its such an issue now :lol:

12. Honeybunch

thanks for that has made me feel better I did feel like I was being told off somewhat because I had let her out previously knowing she was pregnant! I have kept her in as from beginning of week now but I must admit I do feel bad as today its a nice day and she keeps looking out the windowsill bless her!

13. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

I found that my cat did the same, looking out the window/door but when I opened it to let some air in she just carried on sitting there. You could test her by opening it a tiny bit, not enough for her to squeeze out though, if she does start trying to paw at it and get out then its probably best just to keep it to that for a while. I don't think its right to keep her cooped up in a room without any fresh air or plenty of company sounds a bit like a medieval lying in, I treated mine as though she was a human, carry on like normal but at a slower pace, as she gets bigger though it won't be hard work keeping her to one area, you could probably fling open all the doors and windows and she'd still be lying on her back fast asleep. I'd say trust your intsinct, cats are different and you know her better than anyone else.

With regards to feeling the kittens move we felt ours quite early on, it can be very slight at first but it is normal to only start to feel them around 2 weeks before birth, it may be shes running a bit late.

14. Honeybunch

Thanks for yr advice today is very sunny so I have opened window a bit and as yet she hasnt tried to escape so u prob right. She is sleeping lots and I have now seen movement in her belly a sort of rippling effect although I can't feel it when I put my hands on it. She is not all that big so Im guessing she has small litter. Thanks again for yr advice its much appreciated from ppl with experience!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice