Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I worry they don't drink the water

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by grinder, Jun 24, 2009.

1. grinder

grinder PetForums Newbie

My guineas are fed a lot of fresh veg: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower as well as readi-grass and some mix to top them up. Also we feed them sows-thistle and a few other choice weeds that we recognise as safe.

The breeder told us all his guineas on this diet don't really need water, although its always available.

They really don't drink any. I am a bit concerned, but they seem very happy.

Is it conceivable they don't recognise the water bottle as containing water? Should I try different bottles to see if they get on better with different bottles. I've never even seen the guineas up at the bottle - so its not like they are trying to drink but failing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

From vegetables they will get a lot of water, and it seems like your feeding them a brilliant diet.

Does the water level never go down?

Maybe if they have never had one with the breeder they don't know what one is? I would try showing them, and maybe they would copy as they a reasonably good at learning new things, but you'd think if they really need a drink they would try everything around them to get water.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Guinea pigs vary greatly with there intake of water ive had females that drink for britain and others that drink very little. But id still always keep a fresh bottle of water in just in case . As the weather being hot also. It may be worth putting a shallow dish A heavy one so they cant knock it over in a quite end of the hutch and see if tey use that. As long as there fed plenty of fresh veg then they should be fine. Melon is good also and cucumber as it has a high water content but be a bit careful it doesnt give them the runs.

4. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Im not sure if they drink the same as bunnies but at this time of year my bunnies drink a whole bottle in a day.

5. grinder

grinder PetForums Newbie

Charley, the level never changes at all! If I touch the end of the dropper I get drips of water out - so it certainly is working.

I had been thinking about a bowl of water, thanks sullivan I will see what I have to hand.

I've positioned the bottle inside the cage now, much lower, and secured it firmly (so they don't knock it off) in the hope that its lower so they will see it and try.

I should say that the breeder did have bottles on all his guinea's cages - but simply that they didn't touch it.

Thanks for the support everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice