Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I take my cat with me

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by anjosafe, Jun 9, 2018.

1. anjosafe

anjosafe PetForums Newbie

So I got my first cat when I was 13. She was 2 months old and got really attached to me, more than my mom or dad. We got more cats as the years went by, we now have 4 cats in total, all neutered and spayed, all indoor cats. She never accepted new cats very well, kept screaming at them and growling if she felt their scent, specially in my hands. Now I'm 18, got a boyfriend and I'm moving in with him, and to college... he has a female cat too. My cat... Kika... I don't know if I should take her with me or leave her with my parents. My parents say she'd be devastated if we got separated, and so would I... but moving from a family house to an apartment, with another cat she doesn't know, both being indoor cats... I just want her to suffer as little as possible. Should I take her with me or leave her here? Thank you all for your attention in advance.

#1 anjosafe, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If she has settled with the others (even if she just keeps herself to herself) I would leave her where she is and see how she is with you gone.

Suddenly being confined indoors 24/7 with another cat she might not get on with (in their territory) could be very stressful imo - on top of a complete change in environment - with no escape.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would leave her at home. I got my cat Tabby when I was 10 and he was very attached to me, but I left him at home when I went to uni at 18. I missed him like mad but he always remembered me when I came home. We had three others too.

Your cat might take a few days or weeks to adjust but she will be much happier in her own environment.

Lurcherlad and Summercat like this.
  4. anjosafe

We were thinking of bringing the other cat here, who is very used to moving around from apartment to apartment, for her to start getting used to it, then take her there for a small period of time then back for her to adjust slowly... We're also moving some of the furniture she usually likes to sleep in with us and taking familiar objects... I just don't know, i went to spend a week with my boyfriend once and my mom said she wouldn't sleep in her usual places, play or eat as she normally would, and would go around the house meowing which she doesn't usually do at all... When I came back she went back to normal just like that. That's what got me so worried... She's usually pretty hostile to everyone else, even if she isn't very aggressive (just a few minor scratches here and there), she refuses to sleep next to anyone else and doesn't accept a lot of petting from others either, she starts growling and getting away. I'm just here like... Who will she get her cuddles from when I'm gone, ya know??

5. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I would give it a try in the flat with you, if she is miserable in the new flat she can always go back.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Once she's gone the dynamic will change. Could then end up with her unable to settle back and you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Summercat, AmsMam, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  7. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

It's a tough one. If you were moving and she was going to be the solo cat in the apartment, I'd say go for it. However, you will be moving a cat to another territory, into another cats territory, and she probably won't be happy. She will be going from a house to a small apartment, and will not have as many places to hide or be by herself. I realise she has never really got on with the other cats in your parents home, but at least the place is bigger.
    I understand she will miss you, as she missed you for that week you were away, but it was only a week. She will get used to you not being there.
    It's a tough one, and I understand you have a mutual bond with her, and you will miss her, but I think the head has to rule the heart in this case.

SusieRainbow, Summercat and AmsMam like this.
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Are you moving far away? You could visit her? I’m inclined to agree with the others. Leave her where she is and see how she gets on without you being there. Good luck.

9. anjosafe

Alright, I'll see how she adjusts without me first... Thank you all for your time :)

10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m sure it will all work out fine. :)

11. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

When I left home, I had to leave my cat with my family as taking him with me was not a good option. He was nearly 14 and had never lived anywhere else. Although he missed me, he would have missed his territory more. Territory is everything to a cat.

Soozi likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Used to take my Burmese camping with me - people matter far more than place to some cats :)

Summercat and MissMiloKitty like this.
  13. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

I'd also say leave her where she is. She is settled.
    I left my cats to my parents' when I left home, I couldn't have taken them away as it would have been too stressful for them.
    You will see her when you visit your family :)
    When I go home and I am sad having left my own cat in a cattery, at least I'm reunited with my 2 older cats and we can have this special time alone.

MissMiloKitty and Treaclesmum like this.
  14. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I've got no experience of Burmese. How lovely to have a cat you can take with you.:)

Summercat likes this.
  15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

There is a world of difference between the foreign breeds and your average moggie. I wouldn't suggest most people try it with most cats :)

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice