Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I Take Him Out

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Amin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Was Thinking About getting a harness for my coonie Indie and Taking him a walk. We Have Some lovely nature Trails not far from our House. I cycle a lot on The Pentland Hills where there is no Traffic and nice paths and hardly any people about.

I would get a strong Harness with a good "Dog Type" lead, let him rummage about new places where he would surely Like - I think. :rolleyes:: Obviously He,s on the leash at all times and I would be very careful and have a couple treats on hand. Its just a thought right now, but he loves being in our Garden and rummaging around.

It would be a treat for him once or twice a Month. Good idea or Not ?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:eek:While it is a nice thought I would be worried that something spooked him and he ran off.Cats can wriggle out of harness's so easily that I would not like to risk it.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'm sure he'd love it so long as you understand that taking a cat for a walk is nothing like taking a dog :D:D Cats like to go where they want to go and you just have to follow :yesnod: They can wriggle out of harnesses if panicked so you will need to be careful but with an extending type dog lead I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try.

4. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Thanks Guys, We had a Harness for our late Ollie and took him out in our Then, Large shared Garden, He was Fine but a lot smaller than Indie is now. So I would have to be 100% sure he would not get out the harness first, And watch him at all times, If I thought he was uncomfortable and trying to wriggle out then I would forget it.

I may get the harness and see how he is in our garden first.

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

You'd need to get him used to the harness first I think.
    We took Indy out in the garden in the harness and at first he hated it and tried to get out of it, but now he knows it means he gets to go outside so is perfectly happy. So long as you don't let him go too far then I don't see it as a problem, a properly fitted harness should take him more than a second to wriggle out of and you can make it over to him before he does get out of it. Then you'd just have to scruff him and hold his paws until you get him home.

I think if he's used to the harness and you're sure there aren't any offlead dogs then go for it, would be a lovely change of scenery :)

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That would be my worry.I know the area well.There are many hill walkers/joggers/dog trainers use the Pentland hills as a work out area,To say it is quiet and fairly people/dog free has not been my experience.Especially in spring,summer.

7. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Good Point buffie, I Too know the area Well. Did a Lot of training there in The Army, The Place I had in Mind is Very secluded although to get there you would probably pass cylists/joggers etc. So I might have a look at a different area, If I did decide to see how he likes it.

Its Not Flotterstone buffie, That walk is nice But Far Too busy.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Didnt mean to be negative but I have walked most of the recognised "walks" in that area and climbed from bottom to top :scared: at various points.I just pictured doing it with a cat and it didnt fill me with confidence.I actually havnt done the Flotterstone one apart from going in to the Inn :D.

9. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Yea buffie, Think I,ll leave that idea for Now. The Inn at Flotterstone Sounds Better :tongue_smilie:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice