UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of an issue with another dog, could do with some opinions guys ;)

One of Dex's best buddies is a lovely Lab X Staffie, Albert. Really friendly, affectionate, usually very well behaved boy. Like Dex he is neutered, three years old.

The two dogs love playing and spend most of their time together rolling around on the ground, often on their backs, or running around together. Always very, very excitable together.

I have never personally witnessed the other dog being anything OTHER than playful.

However, recently I heard from other friends at the park that Albert 'went for' two other dogs, on separate occasions. The first time, it was a young Weimaraner who apparently just came around the corner and was then charged by Albert. The second time, another dog entirely.

Again to stress: I did not personally witness this.

Fast forward to today: Dex and Albert and a few of their mates were playing. Myself and the other owners were right there with them as we were all walking around together. I noticed that Albert now growls the WHOLE TIME that he is playing - am assuming it is playful growl but maybe am wrong?

I also noticed that Albert had some new 'moves' if that makes sense? He was playing rather more roughly but Dex seemed fine and happy...

But when we got home, I realised that Dex had been cut on a front leg - it's not terrible but was bleeding so have put cream on it and a plaster...

Just wondered what you guys think - I'm not happy that Dex got cut and am concerned that maybe the play is now too rough with these two boys...?

Thanks for your advice :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I think if you're happy then I'd carry on letting them play however if you think Albert has changed his play style and is getting too rough then maybe let them play but then stop it before they become too hyped up.

My two sound horrendous when playing and often have little nicks on their legs but I know them and I know they are only playing and even then I will break it up if they get too rough.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I'd be careful and keep an eye on the situation. If Dex is happy to play and isn't getting defensive, his friend isn't getting out of order. The cut could be incidental, rather than being inflicted by this other dog. Kite was playing with another dog once, rolled over and grazed her head on an edging stone - still has a little scar there.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I would not allow dogs to get to this stage of arousal myself as you know.

I wouldn't allow it with a dog I didn't know, I've always found this particular dog to be a real softy.

It almost felt to me as though he'd been playing with another dog and learned some new moves - I saw him do a few things that I've not seen before.

In future I will be breaking up the play more often as I agree, this level of excitement with these two dogs is not a good idea at present...

THANKS EVERYONE :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hiya, I would suggest never to just assume, always keep a steady eye on proceedings, rather than be caught unawares! If you are feeling aware of subtle changes in play behaviour, then call a halt at that time, and before energy/excitement escalates to anything further that may be inappropriate, and what started out good, ends up spoiled. :sad:

The dogs would have had their fun playing time, and then helpful for them to know to listen to their Owners (in all situations) and calmly settle again, even if this means finishing a walk together on lead.

If you are particularly friendly with the other Owner, you might cheerfully suggest that; "They are getting a little over-excited, and perhaps it would be a good idea to take charge of them both to quiet down".
If, your gut feeling is correct, you would also be helping to encourage the other Owner to take some better charge of this dog. So that everyone begins to benefit. ;)

tailtickle x

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I had this today with Bertie and the Spinone, started off great then got a bit growly, so what I did is put Bertie on lead till they had calmed down and then let him off again, I think they just get too excited then the growling starts:rolleyes: best to nip it in the bud before anything happens:)

I wouldnt stop them playing tho, thats a sure way of making them think theres something wrong:)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I, personally would continue to allow them to play and walk together, but keep an eye on body language/intensity of the play. If you feel it's getting too much both you and Albert's owner should call your dogs back to you for a fuss and a treat and let everything diffuse a bit before allowing them to return to play. If you can break up the play time like this and even pop them on lead for a bit and just let them have a sniff and chill out time it should help. It would be a shame to break up a happy couple!:D

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned at all about the behaviour of Albert towards other dogs. He is obviously friends with your Dex. Some dogs have dogs they like and dogs they don't. My Bizkit hates some dogs but loves others. He's not very good at head on meetings with strange dogs but when he's met dogs a few times they become friends and he loves to play with his mates.

I wouldn't be concerned with the cut either...when my lot go out with Sheliloki and her Lurchers there's cuts and grazes galore. So long as it's not an injury I would got to A&E for if it was on me then I don't worry.

:)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I would just go by how you feel... I can be particular about what dogs Jake plays with.

Jake is a VERY noisy dog when he is playing, that is just him and he has been like that for ages. Other people look like he is about to maul the other dog, but he isn't... he just likes to be noisy, which is strange because he is generally a very quiet dog.

Also, some dogs just don't get on well with others. There is a Lab x who walks in the local park, and Jake and Paddy HATE him for some reason... I have no idea why. They haven't even met the dog, but they both kick off when they see him... and neither of them ever usually kick off like that when they see another dog. They actually got so bad once that they redirected on to each other, and that is the one and only time they have done that.

There was a dog who walked in the park, and him and Jake used to play for ages, chasing each other about and just generally looking in love :D This dog was terrified of fireworks though, like really stressed, shaking, panting heavily etc, and two years ago, the fireworks started and he completely changed. We were in the park and he ran over as usual, they started playing but I noticed he was really OTT so I stopped play for them to calm down. Jake came to my side, and he dismissed all attempts from the other dog to start playing again. Then, later on in the walk, he attacked a dog who he has previously got on with brilliantly. It was scary, and a wee while later (a month or two) he attacked another dog, and now his owners won't walk down the park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.