Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I say something?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Polimba, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

We have some really nice neighbours opposite us. They had a rescue terrier cross when they moved in a got a another rescue terrier a few months ago. The problem is they seem to be getting more DA as times goes on.

Yesterday morning I was walking along the street parallel to our street and I heard them come out for their morning walk, you can hear the barking that far away. Anyway I met up on the corner of my street with a lady who lives on the street where I heard the noise, she has two shih tzus, she mentioned the dogs opposite and seemed quite upset by them. As we were talking my neighbour came around the corner and tried to avoid us and dogs my walking on the grass verge but the older terrier went beserk and has barking and snarling at the shih tzus, right in their faces, who were terrified and were still shaking several minutes later. I think he would have bitten of he wasn't pulled away. Although it was a lot of noise and no one was hurt I felt really upset for the lady (I meet her every morning and don't know her name lol). I just got to thinking if Zimba was like that he'd probably be reported.

I have mentioned in a roundabout way to my neighbour about a trainer but she said she was going to wait until the younger one was spayed. The older one does seem to have got worse since they've had the younger one. I also asked if the rescue did back up support, and she said they could ring them.

It's not really any of my business I suppose. They do have a bark and snarl at Zimba, he just looks at them with a 'whatever' face and it all settles down. They are really nice people and I'd hate to either fall out with them or someone to report them. I doubt anyome would at the moment, but I know the other lady was upset and angry.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It's a really tricky one; not sure you can do that much more than you have in mentioning a trainer. Maybe ask next time whether the rescue had been helpful ? Possibly get the lady with the Shih Tzus to have a word too, gently?

3. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Yes, tricky. But you've done all you can I think. It's good that your dog doesn't react and that they eventually calm down, but someday they will come across a dog (like mine) who will react and since they are small (I assume they aren't big, being terrier crosses), they could get hurt. My dog normally loves small dogs, but if any dog goes for her, she defends herself.

Maybe mention that scenario - it doesn't seem like they're that concerned to me. :eek:

4. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

I once watched a bloke walking a terrier down the street, no other dogs about and no people either, and this mental little dog just barked & barked constantly all the time he was walking. Wasn't barking at anything just barking, would have driven me mental but this bloke didn't even seem to notice!

5. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

Maybe suggest walking with her and her terriers (and maybe the Shih's), to try parallell walking and see if that calms them and gets the dogs all used to each other?

6. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

You're so right and it's such a shame isn't it. We walked past two terriers yesterday who were yapping their heads off at Florence. She gave one short bark back and the owner said to me "is she aggressive?" :rolleyes:

In your situation with your neighbour, perhaps you could her if it worries her when her dog's behave like that, if it doesn't then there's obviously nothing you can do but if it does worry her then I suppose you would be able to take the conversation further and help her :)

You must be very proud of Zimba that he doesn't retaliate :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice