Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I restrict kittens to two rooms initially?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Just wondering whether to restrict my kittens to the kitchen and bathroom (and hallway of course) if we have to leave them for a short time when we first get them? When we are home I would allow them into any room except our bedroom (where there are too many kitten hazzards that we haven't dealt with in my opinion) so they get used to the layout/their home?

Is it neccesary to do this or is it best to let them wander around everywhere?

(When I say leave them I mean if I have to go to the shop etc so for a few hours, no more)

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sounds a wise thing to do. For a few hours the kitchen alone should be fine, be careful of bathrooms, if toilet in there ... if you forget to put the seat down :eek:

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

What age are they?

I've always restricted my kittens movements when I was out and about but usually due to having older cats who might get a bit heavy with them.

It won't do them any harm to be kept in a smaller location whilst you are out and you will have peace of mind knowing that they are in a safe place where the potential for causing mischief is less. :D

Just make sure the lid is down on the loo if the bathroom is being included in their space. :D

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Great minds...... :D :D

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Great minds!

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

OMG this is getting spooky :eek: :D

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Now will you just stop!!! We're hi-jacking the OP's thread...... :D

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

This is freaking me out, going to log off, before you pick up any more of my thoughts... or me yours! :)

10. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Thanks for that.

I don't have any other pets - except fish which are too high for the cats (and they have a heavy lidded tank)

My two boys (DH and son) are well trained so the lid of the loo is ALWAYS down after use. Years ago I told my DH it was bad Feng Shui and said it meant you would lose money due to negative energy if you left it up. He was so tightfisted, that from that day onwards he kept the lid down!
    Our 4 year old has never known any different so he always closes it after use.

My work there is done! :tongue_smilie:

Now hiding the loo roll so I don't come home to an Andrex puppy scene is another matter....

#10 Lumboo, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sounds like a good idea but just remember keep all chemicals well locked away and also kittens can and do squeeze into tiny spaces.Any little space behind washing machine ,fridge ,freezeer if their head fits so will they :eek:

12. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I agree with this! I have the tiniest space between the cooker and a cupboard, and the amount of times Molly got down there, despite putting trays in the gap, was amazing!!

13. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

For the first few days I would restrict them two those two rooms anyway, even if you are with them. That way they can feel like they have a "safe place" to come back to once they are allowed to explore the rest of the house.

It will also help as you will get to know their hiding places - that will save you plenty of heart stopping "argh I've lost the kittens" moments!

14. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

All cleaning chemicals are in the kitchen cupboard, and all cupboards, including ones that have food, are child locked (I have a 4 year old). Our toiletries are kept in a two drawer unit in the bathroom that takes some effort for an adult to pull out but I could move that to another room if I have to leave the kittens - although it is a good jumping space for them.

We have put polystyrene sheets in the gaps between the fridge/wall, fridge/washing machine which I asked the lady from the RSPCA to check for me and she was happy with that.

This is why I won't allow access to my bedroom as there are gaps they could get stuck in that we haven't sealed off yet.

What happens if the kittens jump into the bathtub? Or is that unlikely? Would they be able to jump out again?

15. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Molly hasnt as yet been able to jump in the bath, though she does only have little legs so that might explain that! As for getting out of it, well when I tried to give her a bath it took about 2 secs to escape! :)

Should add that the bathrooms are the only 2 rooms in the flat that Molly isnt allowed into when we aren't in the house.

#15 Jenny1966, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

All sounds great :thumbsup:You have been busy and seem to have it all covered ;)As for jumping in the bath ,well that is in the lap of the gods :blink:They may they may not.My kitten was not allowed in the bathroom unsupervised at the "small "stage so it never arose,but it is possible if they get in they may not get out as there is nothing to grip on to.

17. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My cats were always restricted to the laundry as kittens whenever no one was home (obviously making sure that there was nothing in there that could harm them) :)

18. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Even if that does happen (they're probably too little to get that high, mine couldn't get on a kitchen chair for weeks) and they can't get out, they won't come to any harm, and can't do much damage there! That is if you're only out for a few minutes.

19. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I am talking about possibly an hour or two if I needed to go shopping. Although most of our shopping is delivered, there are always times you forget things you may need or I may not be able to wait until DH gets back.

I am just trying to work around problems that haven't arisen (I haven't even got the kittens yet) so I am prepared when the kittens do arrive.

(Force of habit - I am in Practice Mngt so my whole life is 18months in the future!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice