Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I pick up syds babies?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by _soph_, Aug 13, 2009.

1. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Well 4 days on and Syd is doing exceptionally well as a new mum! She is very protective and does not like leaving them at all...Which is great.
    The most she will ever leave them is about 10mins a couple of times a day when she just goes to stretch her legs!

Im really confused by her behaviour as when I go into the room she purrs very loudly and when I approach her she purrs even louder...But I can kind of see the terror in her eyes as if to say"DO NOT TOUCH THEM"!!! For the first few days I did pick them up...She hasn't hissed or anything but if they squeaked she was trying to get her baby straight off me. She also moved them from the nesting box and hid them behind a gaming chair!

My question is .....Should I be touching them or not?

I have read so many different views on the subject I just don't know what to do for the best.

Again...Looking forward to all your responses:wink5:

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

personally i would ,but when i handle them i do it close to mum stroking her and the kittie in the other hand and see how she is when you do that. We need some up to date photo's .

xx

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i would say yes only a little each time but often :D cant wait to see up to date pics of them (hint hint) he he

4. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

I picked up and handled Twinkles kittens from the moment they were born and she has been great with that. I agree with ruthmcnally just do it when she is around and can see, hear you.

Updated pics please.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I handled my cats kittens from day 1 and they were fine with this

6. rottiesloveragdolls

theres no reason for you Not to handle the babies :D so long as mum is happy and not being left out then im sure mum would love to show off her babies and let you stroke/handle them start of with stroking them all in their box including stroking mum to let her know how proud you are of her :) and then she will know you are not there to hurt her babies, then she will let you pick them up they will prob scream out and mum will cry a bit but thats to comfort her babies, and will all soon get used to you touching them :) good luck and wheres the pics, :eek: :D :D

7. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

^What they said! :D

Mind you, my mummy cat was incredibly chilled out, and would've let me do anything with her last litter! It's more difficult if you feel like you might uspet mummy, but give her lots of time to get used to it, and she should be ok...

I used to sit cross legged by the nest with a cushion in front of me and move the kitten towards me gradually, each time I moved the kitten a tiny bit and then gave mummy cat a really big fuss each time. That way the kitten was reassured by mummy's purring and mummy was satisfied I wasn't going to kidnap her kittens! :D

I hope this helps!

x

8. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Just wanted to thank everybody for their replies to this post. It has definitely chilled me out a bit!!

I did what "Anwen" suggested as this has worked lovely!

So thanks again everyone!! Gosh what would I have been like if I didn't have you lot!!:thumbup::thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice