UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll just give a brief outline for those who dont know the story.

Bella cut her paw quite badly on 30/08, it took several weeks to heal and 11 bandage changes, when they finally discharged her I noticed one of her nails was sticking upwards, I mentioned it to the vet nurse who said "if you want it removing its going to mean another operation and another few weeks healing, but if you leave it then you will need to keep clipping it as it wont touch the ground to wear down", so I opted for the clipping it route.

Fast forward to yesterday when I noticed she wasnt right and finally spotted that the nail had come off, today she is limping really badly so its obviously feeling sore for her. Ive rung the vets and am going in this morning, but do you think it should be part of the original insurance claim, due to the fact that the nail was sticking up after the operation to close her cuts was done, the vet nurse thought it might be because the scars were tightening and pulling the toe upwards.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Poor Bella :(

Millie also has a sticky uppie toe where her ligaments were snapped on her injured paw after surgery :( Luckily she has never caught it even at agility - Yet (Touch wood).

If it makes you feel any better our vet said the chances of being able to reattach the ligament under a GA were very very low and he would not recommend to operate for such a thing as the success rate is not great or guaranteed.

I hope it comes under the original claim x x

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Millie also has a sticky uppie toe where her ligaments were snapped on her injured paw after surgery :( Luckily she has never caught it even at agility - Yet (Touch wood).

If it makes you feel any better our vet said the chances of being able to reattach the ligament under a GA were very very low and he would not recommend to operate for such a thing as the success rate is not great or guaranteed.

I think this might be what happened to Bella too then, it would be great if we could claim under the original one, although Im hoping this wont be an expensive job for a missing nail, she does need to go to have it checked and I would like some pain killers for her really as shes really feeling it :(

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we're back, £75 lighter and with a pile of pills, it was horrible, she was in so much pain that she growled at the vet (really not like my Bella at all :(), I think the poor woman was terrified even though I had tight hold of her (Bella not the vet ;)). She did go and give the vet a sorry kiss before we left though so I think they are friends again :). Apparently it does look like its already infected so shes on the anitbiotics (Synulox), and some pain relief (Rimadyl). Fingers crossed if she heals well then we wont need to go back. I should have spotted this yesterday morning, I cant belive I didnt when I checked her over :(, I knew there was something not right about her, shes limping really badly today and shes a really tough dog where pain is concerned so it must be really hurting her :(.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Well we're back, £75 lighter and with a pile of pills, it was horrible, she was in so much pain that she growled at the vet (really not like my Bella at all :(), I think the poor woman was terrified even though I had tight hold of her (Bella not the vet ;)). She did go and give the vet a sorry kiss before we left though so I think they are friends again :). Apparently it does look like its already infected so shes on the anitbiotics (Synulox), and some pain relief (Rimadyl). Fingers crossed if she heals well then we wont need to go back. I should have spotted this yesterday morning, I cant belive I didnt when I checked her over :(, I knew there was something not right about her, shes limping really badly today and shes a really tough dog where pain is concerned so it must be really hurting her :(.
Poor Bella - She has had such a rough time with her cut paw :( So this is classed as a seperate injury? I would just drop your insurers a ring to check as its quite obviously related to her cut paw so in theory should come under that excess.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor Bella - She has had such a rough time with her cut paw :( So this is classed as a seperate injury? I would just drop your insurers a ring to check as its quite obviously related to her cut paw so in theory should come under that excess.
Not a bad idea, I will give them a ring, I asked the vet if it could be classed as the same injury and they just said they would have to do a seperate claim for it, at £75 it isnt worth doing a claim, once I took the excess off that would get me a whole £4.50 :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I followed your advice :thumbup: and the insurance man said they go by what the vets tell them and if they say its part of the original claim then they will treat it as such, so then I rang the woman at the vets who deals with the insurance and she said to bob a claim form down and she will try to claim it back for me :biggrin:. Of course as this money has been allotted to the dogs already, if it is returned surely it has to be spent on the dogs, I love the way my brain works :lol:. I think the painkillers must be working as my girl is sleeping and shes lost that frown she had before :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.