Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I make my cat come out of hiding

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by debs2104, Jun 7, 2010.

1. debs2104

debs2104 PetForums Junior

Hi, worried new owner, hope you can help.
    I collected my 14 month old cat to give her a new home on Friday evening. She has recently had a litter of kittens which were taken from her a week before I rescued her. when I let her out of the cat box she went straight under the dining table in the lounge and would not come out. I put some milk (proper cat milk) under the table and she drank that, but would not eat anything. However, during the night she hid under the middle seat of our sofa, not much room under there for her, bless her, and we have not seen her at all since then. She will not come out at all when we are around. I have left food and drink out for her during the day which she wont come out to enjoy, but have left some out again when we went to bed on Saturday and Sunday night and by morning all was gone. We have had a few accidents but she is mainly using her litter tray. As she is eating and drinking during the night should I just leave her there until she eventually lets us see her or should I try and get her out and hope she finds a new hiding place where at least I can keep an eye on her and make sure she is ok. Our sofa is very low to the floor and very heavy so I can't see her or check on her at all. I have been told to leave her for as long as it takes and she will let us see her in her own time, is this right, as I said I am a little worried because of where she is and I cant make sure she is ok, which is probably exactly what she wants. So what should I do ?????:scared::confused::

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

holly my ragdoll was a hider when we first got her i put her pet basket down with a blanket in it and left it open in the hope she would hide in there and she did so we could come and sit near it and give ger a treat to get used to us maby try that make it look safe

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

yep leave her be for now.

Whenever you can sit quietly in the room just reading a book. It can help if you put something extra tempting down for her to eat (some warmed up tuna which is extra smelly usually goes down well!) to try and tempt her out. Dont look at her, dont make any sudden moves and just wait. Once she is venturing out and eating (after a day or two) in front of you then you can start to talk to her gently and quietly... again slowly slowly until her confidence is built up!

Other things to try are catnip (some cats find it irresistable) and a feliway diffuser to give her the feelings of calm. If she has been there for more than a couple of weeks, you can switch to the felifriend diffuser, which doesnt deal with stress, but makes her feel everyone is her friend.

With any luck she will eventually venture out.

4. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

Billy hid in the cat carrier for the 1st couple of days of having him.

I was told to sit on the floor abit away from where he was and talk quietly to him while holding a treat.
    This worked after a while and he started to venture out abit further

edit ^^ like billyboysmammy just said lol

5. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

I think you should let her come out in her own good time. Coming to a new household always causes some stress to cats, and they need to have their own safe areas where they feel out of any perceived dangers. Trying to lift the sofa will mean that she might not feel that it's safe any longer, causing more stress - and she'll probably just go and find a new hideaway anyway.

You might also try to tempt her out with toys; a piece of string dragged or dangled by the sofa might trigger her hunting instincts. Also, playing with your cat is an excellent way to bond with her.

6. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

One of mine still hides behind the sofa at times! I sometimes try and entice her out by calling her or rattling her favourite toy, but I never physically remove her. That would just cause more stress.

Be patient your cat will emerge eventually!

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Another vote for leaving her be :) She will come out eventually.

Just don't sit on that sofa for now :D

8. debs2104

debs2104 PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice. I came downstairs at 5am this morning and put some fresh food and drink down, and I sat quietly on the floor. After a while she came out and let me watch her eat but she was very very wary of me so I did not attempt to stroke her, just spoke to her nice and gently, just thought I would let you know we have made progress. She has also started meowing when I speak to her..... ::thumbup: Yipeeeee!!!

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, congartulations!! Sounds like she is getting more confident.:thumbup:
    One of mine still hides and wont eat in front of me and she is 9!! Cats really are a law unto theirselves.:)

10. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

Playing on a cat's curious nature really helps - try sitting on the floor with a book and read it to her, but ignore her at the same time. It won't be long before she starts to get used to you and will come out. It's still really early days and she's young so she will get braver in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice