Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I leave some coat on my cocker in winter?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

At the moment, we are clipping Ollie really short all over. I'm thinking in winter of getting him an Equafleece coat, and we were thinking of having him clipped short all over during winter too, but the Equafleece coat doesn't cover the tummy and legs. I'm thinking, would it be fairer for Ollie for us to leave the skirt and feather and only clip his back? Therefore, the coat will cover his back, but the skirt and feathers will keep his tummy and legs warm. I don't mind cleaning him after each walk if he gets muddy, and we can maintain it, but I suspect as it grows out, it'll grow curly, but never mind. Is this a good idea? How long should I allow the skirt and feathers to grow for winter? (ie. how long will it take to grow a good length to be warm?).

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Sorry, I really need to know this answer. :)

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

We clip Oscar short and he has a coat in the winter.. His coat only covers his belly and he's fine..
    He's getting on a bit now too... He's 11 and a half and is getting a bit doddery...
    If you want to leave a bit of fur on his belly and legs then just leave an inch or two, so he doesnt start and get matted...

Hope this helps

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Thank you very much. That's great. Next time we clip, we'll leave the skirt and feathers, and then hand scissor them regularly to keep them at the right length. Thanks again.

(I'm getting a lot of stick from another forum saying I'm a bad owner and I humanize him for clipping him. :eek: :eek:ut: This forum is soooo much nicer :D)

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:eek:hmy: what????!!!! :eek:hmy:

No way! We have to clip Oscar as he gets matted if his fur gets too long...
    We clip him quite short in summer and let it grow a bit longer for the colder months...

Some dogs have to be clipped for medical reasons too... A friend of mine has a bearded collie and she has to get him clipped as he has skin problems..

Some people are soooo rude!!! :cursing:

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Always clipped mine short all over all year round.
    Reason....damp hair the longer it is the longer it took to dry. I felt that shorter hair dried quicker so less time cold and wet was better for aging joints.
    Did buy her an equifleece though when it was very cold;)

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I keep all of my dogs in full coat unless like my little girl who is pregnant... she's been clipped to fluffy puppy cut but still longer than a cocker :rolleyes:

If they get wet in the rain, I use the towels by the door to dry them off. Can't see the point in cutting the hair just to go and put a coat on them, their own coat would keep them warm enough not to need a fabric one.

8. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

I did reply to your last post on clipping your dog and suggested you really should get advice from your groomer before you try your first clip:D
    its not that easy first time.

If you do start clipping you will need to do it every 8 weeks to keep it looking tidy .Why do you need to clip his back and not his feathers ? as the feathers are the bits that will get dirty and muddy and are hard to keep. Leaving his coat on his back and body will keep him warm and dry so you would not need a coat :idea: why dont you just trim the feathers and skirt if all you want to do is keep him as clean as possible ?

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

He's been clipped twice before, and he needs clipping every 8-12 weeks. I'm thinking to clip his back because in exercise, he'll get hot and he'll be able to cool down with a short-coated back. I'm going to trim the feathers and skirt so they don't get muddy but they still offer a little warmth.

10. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

main thing in the winter months is keep the feet short.
    Not only does it help minimise the wet mud they paddle in but also they tend to get mud balls between the pads, if left cause sores and pos lameness.
    So dont 4get to scissor between the pads;)
    Also the equifleece doesnt have to be used just to replace body heat it protects the coat from the wet meaning less drying when u get home, as cockers have the type of coat that just knots when u towel dry its often a short cut and saves time.
    My old girl was 15 when I lost her and she used to wear hers as she became less active and less able to generate her own body heat.
    Have posted a link, i have the one modelled by the springer:p
    Fleece Coats, Dog Coats, Dog Jumpers, Horse Coats - Equafleece

11. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

thank you. we scissor his feet whenever they get too long between clipping sessions. :D

When would you say an Equafleece coat should be used? When its raining? All walks? Only on lead walks?

12. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Equifleece not compulsary but found it very usefull.
    When u wanted to keep the coat clean and dry if it was wet and muddy outside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice